CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Wireless MPG Problems

Post by Gary Campbell »

For those with this issue....
Has USB suspend been disabled in power settings?
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
tkbot47
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: haven't installed CNC12 yet
CNC11: Yes

Post by tkbot47 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:37 pm No issues on my end. I use Lenovo Tiny PCs on my builds.
Marty
This is a real problem for me. I use an Intel NUC per Centroid recommendations, and plug the receiver directly into the box - no hubs. Latest BIOS and drivers as well I have all powersaving stuff turned off, including USB suspend. Is there some other USB setting I should look at?

The only thing that always works is to unplug/plug the receiver from the computer, which is a pain. BTW, I have a second NUC running Centroid in my mill and lathe, sharing the ethernet connection, and it has the same problem.

I second the motion to build in a usb reset when CNC12 is started.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

tkbot47 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:40 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:37 pm No issues on my end. I use Lenovo Tiny PCs on my builds.
Marty
This is a real problem for me. I use an Intel NUC per Centroid recommendations, and plug the receiver directly into the box - no hubs. Latest BIOS and drivers as well I have all powersaving stuff turned off, including USB suspend. Is there some other USB setting I should look at?

The only thing that always works is to unplug/plug the receiver from the computer, which is a pain. BTW, I have a second NUC running Centroid in my mill and lathe, sharing the ethernet connection, and it has the same problem.

I second the motion to build in a usb reset when CNC12 is started.
ok. maybe there is an issue with the MPG USB receiver transmitter, email support@centroidcnc.com for an RMA warranty replacement.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

are you turning on the MPG before you start CNC12?

i've been using every day a CWP-4 and a Centroid NUC for 3 years with no issues, i frequently uninstall and reinstall cnc12 software versions and switch between mill and lathe operation. while doing all that abnormal use the only thing i notice is that if you dig yourself a hole and jump in it by turning the MPG ON and OFF (sometimes multiple times) while restarting CNC12 (sometimes multiple times) you may need to reboot the CNCPC to get Windows to pick back up on the Wireless MPG USB receiver and or reinstall the Pro license file and reboot after monkeying with an old report.zip file or renaming and cncm/t directory
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

I've also notices on multiple occasions, that when you start CNC12 and the MPG is powerd on but the Axis-Knob is set to OFF, I have to turn the Axis knob around multiple times before CNC does show that the MPG is active and the wheel starts working. Sometimes I have to turn the Speed know to SPIN and Feed and back too to enable the MPG.

So my advice is make sure the MPG is powered on and the Axis Knob is not in the OFF position before you start CNC12.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
tkbot47

Post by tkbot47 »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:20 pm are you turning on the MPG before you start CNC12?

i've been using every day a CWP-4 and a Centroid NUC for 3 years with no issues, i frequently uninstall and reinstall cnc12 software versions and switch between mill and lathe operation. while doing all that abnormal use the only thing i notice is that if you dig yourself a hole and jump in it by turning the MPG ON and OFF (sometimes multiple times) while restarting CNC12 (sometimes multiple times) you may need to reboot the CNCPC to get Windows to pick back up on the Wireless MPG USB receiver and or reinstall the Pro license file and reboot after monkeying with an old report.zip file or renaming and cncm/t directory
Keith,
I do leave it on. I notice the issue mostly when I go in and make a change that requires restarting CNC12 and/or rebooting the Acorn. The readout is maintained, but the knob and buttons no longer respond. When I have it plugged into the NUC that I share between my mill and lathe, if I exit CNC12 mill and enter CNC12 lathe, the display changes from 3 to 2 axes, but the knob and buttons are unresponsive. The only thing that works is to unplug and replug the USB in the computer.
tkbot47

Post by tkbot47 »

swissi wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:34 pm I've also notices on multiple occasions, that when you start CNC12 and the MPG is powerd on but the Axis-Knob is set to OFF, I have to turn the Axis knob around multiple times before CNC does show that the MPG is active and the wheel starts working. Sometimes I have to turn the Speed know to SPIN and Feed and back too to enable the MPG.

So my advice is make sure the MPG is powered on and the Axis Knob is not in the OFF position before you start CNC12.

-swissi
This has not worked in the past for me - I've tried moving switches and knobs to no avail. I'll try your suggestions again, more vigorously, and see if I can get a result.
I wanted to mention I have the older version of the receiver/transmitter (the flat puck), not the one currently displayed on the web page. Don't know if that makes a difference. I'm also wondering if there has been any firmware updates for the MPG at all?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

tkbot47 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:55 pm
swissi wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:34 pm I've also notices on multiple occasions, that when you start CNC12 and the MPG is powerd on but the Axis-Knob is set to OFF, I have to turn the Axis knob around multiple times before CNC does show that the MPG is active and the wheel starts working. Sometimes I have to turn the Speed know to SPIN and Feed and back too to enable the MPG.

-swissi
This has not worked in the past for me - I've tried moving switches and knobs to no avail. I'll try your suggestions again, more vigorously, and see if I can get a result.
I wanted to mention I have the older version of the receiver/transmitter (the flat puck), not the one currently displayed on the web page. Don't know if that makes a difference. I'm also wondering if there has been any firmware updates for the MPG at all?
lets swap yours out as a test.. please contact support@centroidcnc.com for a warranty RMA.
(I can turn my old style mpg on and off when every i want, turn any knob i want any time and it always works with the Centroid NUC, so really not sure what is getting you )
hebs
CNC Control System Serial Number: A81087B53034-0710192235

Post by hebs »

jman86 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:53 pm Hi did the new MPG fix your problem? I am having a similar problem with mine. it will be working fine then all of a sudden it will glitch out and start acting funny. The axis gets locked into the same direction no matter which way you turn the knob. The speed selector knob will move the selected axis .001 or .010 when switched. The selected axis will be locked in 1X no matter what the switch is set on. I have tried turning off the MPG then back on and it will perform the same until you reboot cnc12. I have also tried new batteries in the MPG this did not help
Yes, the new MPG fixed all issues. It is working perfectly now. It must have been a dodgy dial knob.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099

Post by frijoli »

hebs wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:46 pm
Yes, the new MPG fixed all issues. It is working perfectly now. It must have been a dodgy dial knob.
Great news!
Frustrating when you can't find a solution.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/