DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Wireless MPG Problems

Post by hebs »

cnckeith wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:59 pm
thanks for the videos..

in the first video..please describe what is the issue?

also post a fresh report.zip so we can see the settings of the configuration that you are using in the video.
Thanks for the reply,

In the first video I am manually milling at x10 on the wireless MPG turning the wheel at a constant speed but notice that the mill suddenly slows significantly and speeds back up again despite me maintaining the same motion on the wheel. The whole time the wireless mpg knob is on x10 but CNC12 randomally jumps down to x1 and back again.

It is becoming very frustrating, particularly for part setup and edge finding. It can be stuck on x1 for ages despite the wireless MPG knob being on x10 or x100. It means that I have to turn the wheel a million times to get across the table travel. I have to use the CNC12 interface to move the axis a bit faster but this is not as refined and kind of defeats the point of the wireless MPG for me.

If nobody else is having this problem then it is not likely a software problem, I believe that I have eliminated RF interference so that leads me to conclude that I have a faulty wireless MPG or USB transceiver.

I will post a fresh report when I get home and see if I can make a clearer video to explain the problem.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

ok.. gotcha.. lets swap out your MPG and transmitter and see if that fixes it.. this is the first time i have seen or heard of this so i'm curious if a new mpg will fix the issue. pm me your shipping address
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
hebs
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A81087B53034-0710192235

Post by hebs »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm ok.. gotcha.. lets swap out your MPG and transmitter and see if that fixes it.. this is the first time i have seen or heard of this so i'm curious if a new mpg will fix the issue. pm me your shipping address
Hi Keith, PM sent, with address and more videos.

Thanks

Keith
jman86
CNC Control System Serial Number: E8EB112A228E-0405191853

Post by jman86 »

Hi did the new MPG fix your problem? I am having a similar problem with mine. it will be working fine then all of a sudden it will glitch out and start acting funny. The axis gets locked into the same direction no matter which way you turn the knob. The speed selector knob will move the selected axis .001 or .010 when switched. The selected axis will be locked in 1X no matter what the switch is set on. I have tried turning off the MPG then back on and it will perform the same until you reboot cnc12. I have also tried new batteries in the MPG this did not help
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

jman86 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:53 pm Hi did the new MPG fix your problem? I am having a similar problem with mine. it will be working fine then all of a sudden it will glitch out and start acting funny. The axis gets locked into the same direction no matter which way you turn the knob. The speed selector knob will move the selected axis .001 or .010 when switched. The selected axis will be locked in 1X no matter what the switch is set on. I have tried turning off the MPG then back on and it will perform the same until you reboot cnc12. I have also tried new batteries in the MPG this did not help
Did you try a different USB port ON the computer?
Do you have a touchscreen monitor? If so, as a test disconnect it.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

Be aware that the MPG receiver never resets as long as it's plugged into the computer. Most computers these days keep the USB ports powered even when the computer is shut down unless you turn off the power to the PC with a physical switch. The only way to reset the receiver is to unplug and re-plug the USB connector.

If you turn on the MPG without the receiver plugged in, the screen will look like this:
MPG01.jpeg
When the receiver is plugged in but CNC12 has never connected to it yet, the screen will look like this:
MPG2.jpeg
After CNC12 has connected to the receiver, the MPG screen will show the coordinates that match the CNC12 computer screen. If you switch CNC12 from WCS coordinates to Machine coordinates, the MPG screen will change too:
MPG3.jpeg

In order to test if your MPG receiver does reset when you shut down your computer, keep your MPG turned on and exit CNC12. You will notice that the MPG still shows the last CNC12 coordinates even when CNC12 is not running. You can turn off your MPG and turn it back on and it will still show the last coordinates.

Now shut down your Windows computer and if the MPG display still shows the coordinates and not the Lost Rf screen, you know that your computer does keep the USB port powered. If you restart your computer and launch CNC12, CNC12 does not reset the MPG receiver. That means if your MPG receiver ever gets into a bad state that requires a reset, the only way to actually reset the MPG receiver is to either switch off the power to your PC after the shut down or unplug/re-plug the MPG receiver.

This is true for the MPG model CWP-4 that I have. Maybe somebody with the newer WMP-4 model can confirm that this is still the case.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
tkbot47
CNC Control System Serial Number: haven't installed CNC12 yet

Post by tkbot47 »

One thing I notice with my MPG is that if it is on but I shut down CNC12, then restart CNC12, it often, not always, loses it's place and will not longer do anything. I have to unplug the antenna from the usb port, and plug it in again, or, restart the computer. Is this normal behavior?
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

tkbot47,

I would not call this normal behavior but it seems to happen on certain PCs. I reported this to Centroid a while ago but they were not able to reproduce the problem. From my experience, CNC12 connects correctly 100% of the time when the USB receiver has been reset (only shows the signal and battery level in the display like picture 2 above). I suggested to Centroid to play it safe and just reset the USB receiver when CNC12 starts up and before connecting to the MPG receiver but I was told it was too difficult to implement.

I got into the habit to work around this issue by unplugging/replugging the USB receiver before I start CNC12.

So far I was under the impression that I'm the only one having this issue so I stopped bothering Centroid to fix it but there are obviously others out there. Would be interesting to hear from others if they have seen this problem too to get a better understanding how wide spread this problem is. Let's start the Me Too initiative :-)

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

No issues on my end. I use Lenovo Tiny PCs on my builds.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

and i've seen laptops down USB ports so, if you are using a laptop be sure to get into the bios of the laptop and turn off the power saving features if you are going to use it as the CNCPC.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html