Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Cam software recommendations for Centroid

Post by Dave_C »

Dave_C
If you are still interested in using Fusion 360, go to the Autodesk website, download and install Fusion 360. When you run the program it will ask you to register. The options will be presented of buying, student\teacher, hobby or business startup along with an outline of conditions for use. Hobby or business startup is free as long as you income is less than $100000 per year. At the end of the one year term as long as the income ceiling is not exceeded Autodesk will extend the license on a yearly basis for as long as you desire. I believe this process is correct. Autodesk is second to none in generosity and their various softwares are industry standards
Regards
Lou
Yup, that worked! ( I now have the 3 year licenses since I was a Professor at MTI, after I retired)

Thanks, Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
LSGreen
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: None

Post by LSGreen »

:D Sence you are an educator Autodesk will also allow you access to Inventor 2020. This is a full version, not limited in anyway. Autodesk HSM (high speed machining) is also available to you. When installed it will operate within Inventor just as it does within Fusion. If you’re not familiar with Inventor, it’s an industry standard CAD program. Might wanna take a look.
Lou
geckocycles
CNC12: Yes

Post by geckocycles »

Dave_C wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm
Are there any cheap, yes in poor, lol, Cam programs that can develop tool paths strategically and logically so all to have to do is load the cad file and it can do it automatically without intervention.
Uh, cheap and good? Those two things rarely go together!

I too have used Fusion and yes, it takes some intervention to make good tool paths but if you spend the time to learn it, Fusion can make great tool paths! The problem is the learning curve is usually pretty steep for any GOOD cad/cam program.

I've also used and still own BobCad/Cam and I find it a bit easier to create good CNC mill tool paths, but the learning curve was pretty steep for it as well. BobCad is harder to use for the drawing part, at least for me, compared to Fusion 360.

Cheap and free programs usually lack the sophistication to make advanced tool paths that are efficient!

My two cents worth,

Dave C.
How did you get BobCad to generate code that Acorn can read?
Drill hole pattern makes a subprogram which I am having trouble reading in Acorn.
cog centertest2.NC
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
I made a hole pattern in Intercon and there is no mention of a subprogram or G98 to speak of.
hole pattern test.cnc
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
My son fixed it so it would work with no subprodrams, at least a dry run, but I would rather not have to do all that if possible.
cog-centertest3.nc
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Drill hole pattern makes a subprogram which I am having trouble reading in Acorn.
BobCad has a post processor for Centroid mills and lathes. Or you can use the Fanuc post as well. I've used both and don't have any issues with my G-code running in Acorn.

Some of the Processors will give strange tool changes if you pick the wrong ones but just look at the code that is output and you can tell real quickly if you choose the right post processor.

You can request Post Processors from BobCad and download them from their large library of processors.

I opened BobCad to see what post I am using and it is the Fanuc0M.Millpst and it works just fine.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

Dave_C wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:09 pm
BobCad has a post processor for Centroid mills and lathes. Or you can use the Fanuc post as well. I've used both and don't have any issues with my G-code running in Acorn.

Some of the Processors will give strange tool changes if you pick the wrong ones but just look at the code that is output and you can tell real quickly if you choose the right post processor.

You can request Post Processors from BobCad and download them from their large library of processors.

I opened BobCad to see what post I am using and it is the Fanuc0M.Millpst and it works just fine.

Dave C.
I tried contacting Bob and no reply several times. I called and they told me they no longer support V23. Terrible people to deal with and always have been. High pressure sales, I had to hang up on the guy. He of course called back and I politely said goodby again and someone else called me back.

I been using Funuc0M and like I said it creates subprograms that fail at that call line.
I reconfigured the drill op , deleted the drill and added anew one that I created in the tool library and now there is no subprogram generated. Weird but I think it will work. Got to go test it now.
cog centertest23.nc
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Remove the .TXT extension
cog centertest2.bbcd.txt
(29.72 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

I have been migrating over to FreeCad from Fusion and their Centroid PP is messed up. I have been working with them on fixing it. So far we have promising results but it still needs tweekin. I posted a simple part with a single hole last night and it worked but with home, tool change location and how it rapids and mostly having dimensions in metric are issues. Basically work flow issues and units so far. Units I'm sure he will get fixed but should have some help on workflow.

It would be great if more knowledgeable people than myself would get involved as the guy doing the code changes does not have a Centroid machine to test the code on. I have very limited experience but help out as much as I can.
How about it Keith?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 5&start=40

I am able to get BobCad to work with Acorn now I am pretty sure. The Code looks promising now.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

See http://www.cncsnw.com/PostProcessorsMill.htm
and http://www.cncsnw.com/PostProcessorsLathe.htm

A person without a Centroid-controlled machine available can always install the offline Demo software, and verify G-code programs using F8/Graph.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I tried contacting Bob and no reply several times. I called and they told me they no longer support V23. Terrible people to deal with and always have been. High pressure sales, I had to hang up on the guy. He of course called back and I politely said goodby again and someone else called me back.
I'd like to tell you that your experience was uncommon but anyone who has dealt with them will most likely say something along those lines.

I'm running V27 and I am not having any issues. I also use Fusion 360 but I don't like the cloud issue. I actually like the tool path process much better in Bob_CAD Cam VS Fusion 360 but that is just a personal preference.

Dave C.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

cncsnw wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:41 pm See http://www.cncsnw.com/PostProcessorsMill.htm
and http://www.cncsnw.com/PostProcessorsLathe.htm

A person without a Centroid-controlled machine available can always install the offline Demo software, and verify G-code programs using F8/Graph.
THX I had already relayed that to FC and offered my help on that level too. I did have issues with the demo. It doesn't know about limits and ran fine till I went to the shop and with a Z13 it failed right a way. Adding G21 fixed that. I* need to try multiple tool part in demo.

Looks like progress is being made!
I tested the new hours old beta FC PP and it fixed some things and can now post a hole pattern part. I still had to modify the PP to get rid of the double Mcode entry at the bottom.

Still no fix for only Metric output unfortunately. I fear that is in the software and not the PP. My son is looking into it but he has a Linux box so there is differences. He is in cyber security in the Navy but is not too familiar with Python. He's pretty sharp but also way busy. He did make one attempt with the current PP but it has Proxy errors on windows and not his Linux so it wouldn't post on windows. I wish hew would of started working with the first beta I gave him and not the DL v19 version which has those Proxy errors. Hope he has time to look at it again.

I got BobCad to work with the Funuc0M. Subprogram numbers needed to be changed to higher numbers.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

Freecad PP for Centroid is working so far, but I have only made some very simple mill and drill tests and one VCarve.

This is the last one we have and I renamed it for my uses. I just add it to the V19 folder where they reside.
centroidLAST_post.py.txt
(12.22 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
You may want to keep an eye on here for more official ones in the works.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4237

In order for it to post in Inches you have to add "--inches" in the Arguments Bar in the Output tab of the Job Edit. With and without argument pictured.
--inches.jpg