CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Refit of old CandCNC Machine

Post by firepilot »

Hi there,

I am really glad I found this forum. I have found myself with on older CNC Machine. I purchased it and had it delivered and started to figure it out. It looks like it has been modified a bunch of times, and currently I can't make it work.

It is running an old Windows xp computer that has seen better days, is running a version or Mach 3 2.0 with a DYNA 1000 driver or something. Everything is parallel port driven, and the it has 3 different boxes with electrical controllers and wires. The table itself seems well built, it is servo driver and I think it has lots of potential.

I have spent the day watching videos of MartyscncGarage and I think Acorn is the way to go.

I have attached a link to Google images :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jMbyX7htE1i6XAKM6

I will be buying a PC here as needed with a touchscreen, the Acorn board, and whatever I need to get this old beast up and running.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I try to get this machine running.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, can do basic wiring as well. I have 2 Universal Laser systems and way back when ran a large industrial CNC machine in a cabinet shop.

Excited to make some wooden bases for some of my laser engraving and etched glass work.

Thank you

Phil
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Refit of old CandCNC Machine

Post by cnckeith »

Hello!
looks like that unit has DC brush axis motors..
i'd gut the electrical cabinet and sell most of the stuff on ebay, and then rebuild it with new axis motors (such as clearpath) for a fresh start which would take much less time than trying to reuse any of the old stuff. similar to what gary does.. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... en1600.png

https://www.centroidcnc.com/shopbot_gcnc.html
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Ken Rychlik
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I had one of their stepper driven systems. candcnc didn't make the machine. Just the controller. I reused the drivers, motors, and power supply on mine and ran it with Acorn. It had steppers and gecko 201x and did not have encoders. They actually had a pretty decent system. One thing I ran into was the motor to cable connections used some corrosive solder and it was loosing connection at that point. I cut out all of their old solder joints and re-did them with rosin core soler and it ran fine. The easier way would be as keith suggested and toss everything to start over. I would give it a go with the current drivers and motors myself though. I pulled most of the boards out of it except the power supply section. The boards that were connected to the drivers, were tossed. Then with the power supply still working, I ran power and ground leads to the drivers. Acorn supplied the step and direction signals. The encoders on the ends of the motors send info to the system and you would need to figure out how to deal with that. I don't have that machine anymore for pics, as I'm 4 machines later rewiring another one. It's kind of getting to be a hobby. Good luck with it.
Ken
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Ok, THANKS for taking pictures and creating a photo album.
Don't *THINK* know that Acorn is the way to go....

First does the machine currently run and all axis move smoothly? You say it is connected to a parallel port?
Acorn's DB25 was designed to replace the "parallel port"
If your PC has Mach on it. take a screen shot of the PORTS AND PINS configuration section. Create a spreadsheet with all of that information.

Secondly, normally I would say GUT the cabinet like Keith mentioned, BUT I noticed you have Gecko G320 drivers. They take step and direction.
If the machine is currently running and axis moving smoothly, then I would say interface Acorn with the G320X drivers. The take step and direction input FIRST before scrapping the drives and motors. This could be an easy retrofit.
I assume there are 3 Geckodrives 2 up top in the picture and one underneath?

Also what are the three black boxes towards the top mounted to a plate in this picture:
black boxes.JPG

Please take a close up of the Gecko driver, with wiring connnection, and maybe some more pictures of all the control components, including back connector panels etc. If DB25 parallel port driven, I would be tempted to unplug from the computer and plug the cable into Acorn DB25 and start there first. Your router motor only turns on and off with a relay I bet. Its up to you, and your budget...its all there, why start over and throw it all away unless you have to. Yes Clearpath or closed loop hybrid steppers would be the way to go, but you have what looks to be a complete system, power supply and all, I'd try the easy route first, buy an Acorn Kit and start there.

Do you have basic electrical/electronics skills?
Keep this build log going......

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Marty, the pic you showed seems to be a different controller than the one with the gecko's There is also another power supply there. He has LOTS of parts. lol
Ken
martyscncgarage

Ken Rychlik wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:28 pm Marty, the pic you showed seems to be a different controller than the one with the gecko's There is also another power supply there. He has LOTS of parts. lol
All we got to go on is the pictures he posted. Until he response with more pictures and or clarification on whether or not the machine is functional under MACH3, all we can do is wait.....
Mesa, AZ
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

I can see two, possibly three controllers in there, some dating from the Ark. A big dumpster is in order!

Looks as if Marty's three black boxes are more stepper or servo drivers. A strange mixture of parts....
firepilot

Post by firepilot »

Thanks for the replies!

I have a big old bunch of parts right now. Currently the machine powers on and the motors lock. However there is no movement on any axis.

If I can use what I have I am happy to start there. I just went back and added some additional pictures. I also labeled each picture.

I travel in the summer flying a helicopter fighting wildfires. I have a lot of time to research things between fire calls. Since I have been researching here this big old mess is starting to make ALOT more sense.

I do have the tools and ability I do believe to make this thing work. I will get the Acorn Controller ordered and maybe with some help here get a plan of action going. I won't have much time to work on it for about 3 weeks, but lots of time to study.

Thanks for the replies, I'll go back and see if I missed anything.

Phil
martyscncgarage

firepilot wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:47 pm Thanks for the replies!

I have a big old bunch of parts right now. Currently the machine powers on and the motors lock. However there is no movement on any axis.

If I can use what I have I am happy to start there. I just went back and added some additional pictures. I also labeled each picture.

I travel in the summer flying a helicopter fighting wildfires. I have a lot of time to research things between fire calls. Since I have been researching here this big old mess is starting to make ALOT more sense.

I do have the tools and ability I do believe to make this thing work. I will get the Acorn Controller ordered and maybe with some help here get a plan of action going. I won't have much time to work on it for about 3 weeks, but lots of time to study.

Thanks for the replies, I'll go back and see if I missed anything.

Phil
Please delete any photos of equipment not connected or originally part of the machine. Need to know what is original to the machine. You indicate motors lock, which tells me the Geckodrives are doing their job and could be reusable, IF those are original to the machine.
Mesa, AZ
firepilot

Post by firepilot »

Marty,

Parts of both are being used. That being said, I believe the only thing being used in the original box is the board for the router, and limit switches.

Otherwise the equipment in the CandCNC box and the Dyna 1000 are the active components.

Thank you

Phil