Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2694DE4D2-0423180849
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: M6 Dwell Time

Post by kentonsj »

CNCMaryland wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:45 pm For anyone else interested, the M3 does not have any delay. Here is the modification to the M3 that I made to add a 10 second delay.

;-------
;M3 macro
; Displays message to select auto spindle mode if it is not set
;-------

IF #4202 || #4201 THEN GOTO 200
M95 /2
M94 /1
G4 P10
IF #61058 THEN GOTO 200 ;skip the check if AutoSpindle is on
G4 P.1
#140 = 1.5
N100
IF !#61058 THEN M225 #140 "Please Select Auto Spindle To Continue!" ;61058 = JPO2/SpindleAutoManualLED
G4 P.5
IF !#61058 THEN GOTO 100
N200
I was looking through the programming manual to see if you could change the dwell time based on the commanded spindle speed as a ratio of the max spindle speed over commanded spindle speed. There is a word definition of SpinSpeedCommand_FW in the programming manual. Does anyone know if this would give me the commanded spindle speed for use in the macro? The math after that is straightforward. If my max spindle speed is 24,000rpm and my minimum is 12,000, my spindle delay should be half as long for minimum speed versus my maximum speed. For the sake of this example, it takes my spindle 10 seconds to get to 24,000, 5 seconds should get me to 12,000. 12,000/24,000=0.5, so that would be the multiplier for the dwell time. I'm not sure how to add the commanded spindle speed into the macro. Any thoughts?
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

kentosi…
A couple other options;

Look at you vfd parms and see what the accel is set to. that IS how long it will take to accelerate to full speed, which by the way can be decreased. Set you dwell to that time, as there will almost certainly be a second of positioning after spindle is up to speed.

Check to see if your vfd has an output that can be set to "at commanded frequency" or similar. connect that output to an Acorn input configured to an M100/101 and as soon as you are the commanded rpm, the pause for input state will end.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
kentonsj
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2694DE4D2-0423180849

Post by kentonsj »

Thanks Gary,

I don't have my accel set at 10 seconds, that would take way to much time :) I did see your comments before about the M100/101 and I do have an output contact like that on my drive. Honestly, I'm hoping to do it without the extra wiring. Like you said, I'd like to time it so when the cutter hits the material the spindle just got to full speed.

I would still like to know if, and how, I'm able to pull the commanded spindle speed into a macro and do a tiny bit of math with it.
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

"Honestly, I'm hoping to do it without the extra wiring. Like you said, I'd like to time it so when the cutter hits the material the spindle just got to full speed."

In other words, that you would like to take something that is "somewhat predictable" and use it as if it were "absolutely predictable". If you wish to gain that level of certainty, use the output/input combo. Then you know.

You remind me of a programmer I used to hang around with. He thought he could solve hardware problems with software.

In theory it should work. In the real world there has been no evidence to prove the theory
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
Jay Morris
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Jay Morris »

Wired my spindle like Gary has done. My VFD can be set to trigger the Acorn at a percentage of the commanded speed. Set at 75% the last 25% is done on its way to the cut. Works pretty well.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Jay Morris wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:37 pm Wired my spindle like Gary has done. My VFD can be set to trigger the Acorn at a percentage of the commanded speed. Set at 75% the last 25% is done on its way to the cut. Works pretty well.
Does it work the same way AFTER the cut? Does is pause until it spins down 75% before it moves to say a tool change position? I’m working on this solution for mine as well.
Jay Morris
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Jay Morris »

When it gets an M5 the spindle turns off as normal. I dont have the acron looking at that input when it turns off the spindle.
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

On my ATC systems along with the "Up to Speed" input, I also use a VFD output configured to "stopped" or "Zero RPM", which does the same (eliminates any delay) when stopping for a toolchange
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits