Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: proLIGHT 2000 Conversion to Acorn

Post by martyscncgarage »

FKreider wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:25 pm One more question- so its clear that the (-) output from the KBSI goes into terminal 1 on the spindle controller however does this also become the "common" the manual tells you to short through the relays for each function? (FWD/REV - Enable/Disable - Run/Brake)
Attached is the manual for KBSI-240D
Looks to me like KBSI terminal 9 is COM (BOSS TERMINAL 1) and terminal 10 is your analog signal positive (BOSS TERMINAL 6 SPEED IN)

Again, do your due dilligence and use a meter to confirm.

As I mentioned, you can test speed control of your BOSS drive with a 1.5VDC battery, negative to BOSS TERMINAL 1 and Positive to BOSS TERMINAL 6 and see if your motor runs.

You can connect a DC meter to KBSI 9 COM and KBSI 10 + analog voltage signal and use MDI in Acorn to call from 0 to MAX RPM programmed in MAX spindle wizard. and watch the voltage on the meter.

Make sure you program the original speed range from the machine into the Wizard Spindle section.....

These are just suggestions.....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
FKreider
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by FKreider »

Ok, I thought I had the spindle figured out but I'm having some issues, thought it would be easier to make a quick video showing what is going on:

martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Do you actually have a spindle brake? That is the spindle is LOCKED when not running?
I think you have relays wired wrong.
When using spindle direction, you have a COMMON and a NORMALLY OPEN (REVERSE) and NORMALLY CLOSED (FORWARD)
so that relay will not change until you command reverse.
Optionally you can use two relays and assign SpinFWD and SpinREV

You have to provide information on your spindle controller/KBSI 240D and draw up a schematic as to how YOU currently have it wired so we can try and help.

Did you check the Acorn analog output with a DC meter to see if its output is rising and falling as you press the + and - buttons on the VCP?
You didn't mention that.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Hi Marty,

Here is how it is currently wired per our discussions on the last page or so of this thread:
IMG_5382 (1).PNG
I will check the acorn analog output again while in manual mode however I did check this several times during the head scratching I did yesterday.
martyscncgarage

OK
So, when you change the spindle speed in CNC12 Acorn's Analog Output is also changing?
If SO,
Does the Analog Output from KB140SI change as well?

Disconnect the drive speed pot completely please and retest.....that's a no-no because you are supplying reference voltages from TWO sources, the drive itself AND from the KB240SID. Hopefully you didn't damage the KB240SID. There is NO need for the speed pot since you can do that from the VCP Spindle control.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Thanks Marty, your comment about the spindle speed changing when I changed the speed in manual mode made me double check and sure enough- it wasn't changing or doing anything for that matter. This made me scratch my head for a minute as everything had worked perfectly when doing the spindle bench test.

Then I realized that it was tied to me having the relays backwards regarding the start/stop buttons on the VCP. I got that straightened out and then Acorn enabled the spindle speed output and everything started working as it should. (I did not realize the analog signal out was tied to the start/stop buttons.)

So Now I have X, Y, Z axis all moving and calibrated (within a couple of thousands- need to spend a little more time tuning it in and maybe need to add a bit of backlash comp) AND I have working spindle control!

Which means I was able to do my first test cuts by running a small pocketing routine in a scrap chunk of aluminum. Very pleased to see the machine run and thanks again Marty for all of the help. Once I get it a bit more buttoned up I will make a video for the success stories section of the forum.

One thing I am struggling with a bit is getting the RPM's on Acorn to match what the machine is actually running. There is a speed change via the motor and spindle pulleys. For example is it possible to make the screen show 5000k RPM and behind the scenes Acorn would know to tell the spindle to go to 3500kpm because there is a speed increase in the machine? (not real numbers, I have to pull the spindle cover to see what the actual speed change is since I forgot to determine that last time I had the cover off.)
martyscncgarage

You need to setup your spindle speed in high range pretty accurately FIRST.
You can setup for reduction if needed.
Look in the Spindle Tab of the Wizard.
Mesa, AZ
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:39 am You need to setup your spindle speed in high range pretty accurately FIRST.
Hi Marty,

The machine only has one spindle range so I'm a bit confused on what to do with the high/mid/low range.

The pulley on the motor and spindle are not 1:1. I can double check what that actual ratio is later but I know its a slight speed increase.

(The motor is rated for 7200rpm and the spindle is rated for 10k rpm so I'm assuming the ratio is around 1:1.4)

I have manual control of the speed- on the VCP I can manual raise and lower the speed. What I am trying to figure out is how to make the centroid program match the rpm's that the machine is running. Changing settings on the spindle tab doesn't do anything. Do I need to mess around with the pot's on the BOSS DC spindle controller to make it match the acorn screen?
Last edited by FKreider on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

FKreider wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:50 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:39 am You need to setup your spindle speed in high range pretty accurately FIRST.
Hi Marty,

The machine only has one spindle range so I'm a bit confused on what to do with the high/mid/low range.

The pulley on the motor and spindle are not 1:1. I can double check what that actual ratio is later but I know its a slight speed increase.

(The motor is rated for 7200rpm and the spindle is rated for 10k rpm so I'm assuming the ratio is around 1:1.4)

I have manual control of the speed- on the VCP I can manual raise and lower the speed. What I am trying to figure out is how to make the centroid program match the rpm's that the machine is running. Channing settings on the spindle tab doesn't do anything. Do I need to mess around with the pot's on the BOSS DC spindle controller to make it match the acorn screen?
You DO need to set the MAX and MIN Spindle speeds in the Wizard. (Whatever the machine as shipped defaults are)
If you are keeping the original spindle controller then yes, you will probably have to tweak the pots on the DC spindle controller. Do you have a manual for the DC Spindle Controller?

Leave the high/med/low speed settings alone then. (Defaults)
You are working in High range.

So you can manually raise and lower the spindle speed currently?
Mesa, AZ
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Hi Marty,

Yes I can currently raise and lower the speed via the VCP but the numbers shown on the screen are WAY off from what the actual machine rpm is.

Let me dig up the manual.

Should I be putting in the min/max speeds for the electric motor (aka 7200 rpm max) or for the machine (10k) ?