CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

proLIGHT 2000 Conversion to Acorn

Post by FKreider »

Hello Everyone,

I just picked up this proLIGHT 2000 last weekend with the intent up converting it to Acorn controls. I got lucky as this particular machine has the optional upgrade 10k spindle. Unfortunately it was not equipped from the factory with pneumatic tool changer, I might attempt a retrofit down the road once the machine is up and running. I have a rudimentary understanding of the electronics involved, my main purpose of purchasing the machine was to learn more about these systems and CNC in general.

Here are my questions so far:
  • Which components can be re-used? (I am thinking only servo motor's, limit switches and possibly power supply?)
  • Need to confirm if DC servo motors and encoders are re-usable with new control system.
Info off of motors:
Litton/Clifton
U/T: C23-L50W20M09
P/N: 31-1200-0004
D/C: 9933

It would appear that these are still available and now made by MOOG:
https://www.moog.com/products/motors-se ... eries.html

Info off of encoders:
Computer Optical Products Inc.
CP550-1000-LD
P/N: 32-0000-0027

A quick search online shows these are "CP-500 series hollow shaft encoder " which appear to still be available? At the minimum there is some info out there on them.
  • The spindle has two cables going to it, assuming one is power and the other is ???
  • There are two boards in the electronics housing of the machine, one large board and a small one. I have think the smaller one is the spindle controler?
Here are some pictures:
IMG_7745.JPG
IMG_7780.JPG
IMG_7787.JPG
IMG_7783.JPG
IMG_7740.JPG
IMG_7741.JPG
Any help is much appreciated!
FKreider
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: proLIGHT 2000 Conversion to Acorn

Post by FKreider »

Ok learning some new things this morning. I've answered one of my questions from above, from the below drawing I now know that the second motor wire leads are for the hall sensors.
h7m3TLj.png
IMG_7747.JPG
Also- I am not sure why my pictures rotate once I upload them to the forum? sorry about that.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Welcome.
Did you do a search of this forum? Search Prolight. I think you will find another user has successfully done this conversion and you can pick his brain or read up on how he got on with it.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 am Welcome.
Did you do a search of this forum? Search Prolight. I think you will find another user has successfully done this conversion and you can pick his brain or read up on how he got on with it.
Marty
Hi Marty,

Yes I think I have read every prolight forum post on the internet at this point. :lol:

I think you are referring to Chris's build thread: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1858&start=10

There certainly is a lot of good info from his build however from my understanding there are significant differences between the prolight 1000 and 2000 controls, and my servo's, encoders and spindle are different than Chris's machine.

I did find a conversion thread on a PLM2000 to Mach3 over on the cnc zone forum where they were never able to get the existing CP550-1000-LD encoders to work with the new controls. Is there any way to confirm ahead of time if they will work or not?
martyscncgarage

FKreider wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:32 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 am Welcome.
Marty
Hi Marty,

Yes I think I have read every prolight forum post on the internet at this point. :lol:

I think you are referring to Chris's build thread: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1858&start=10

There certainly is a lot of good info from his build however from my understanding there are significant differences between the prolight 1000 and 2000 controls, and my servo's, encoders and spindle are different than Chris's machine.

I did find a conversion thread on a PLM2000 to Mach3 over on the cnc zone forum where they were never able to get the existing CP550-1000-LD encoders to work with the new controls. Is there any way to confirm ahead of time if they will work or not?
The encoders work with the axis drives. If they are all integrated into that board, and you don't know which pins are step and direction, then I would remove and replace the axis motors with new motors and drives. Same with the spindle drive. if it is on that board as well, no it won't work with Acorn.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Looks like the spindle controller is a Minarik Z1BOSS15AC-1Q Series.

I have put a request in to Minarik for the manual on this model, it appears that they still manufacture an updated version of the same controller, so I would imagine support is good.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Here is the pin out from the spindle drive manual:
mpinout.png
The manual says to short terminal 2 to terminal 1, 3 to 1 and 4 to 1 for each function. (enable/disable, run/brake, and fwd/rev)

I am thinking that I will need to use three of the Acorn's output relays to control these O/C "switches" ?
martyscncgarage

FKreider wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 pm Here is the pin out from the spindle drive manual:

mpinout.png

The manual says to short terminal 2 to terminal 1, 3 to 1 and 4 to 1 for each function. (enable/disable, run/brake, and fwd/rev)

I am thinking that I will need to use three of the Acorn's output relays to control these O/C "switches" ?
What is the voltage to the input?
I think someone mentioned the KB240SID signal isolator. You have to have the isolator. Otherwise I think you could reuse the spindle drive.
Post a link to the manual to the spindle drive.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:56 pm
FKreider wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 pm Here is the pin out from the spindle drive manual:

mpinout.png

I think someone mentioned the KB240SID signal isolator. You have to have the isolator. Otherwise I think you could reuse the spindle drive.
Marty
Hi Marty,

Page 9 of the attached manual lists the analog input voltage range as 0-10VDC and specifies that the signal must be isolated so I am thinking you are correct.
Attachments
250-0224.pdf
(280.81 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
martyscncgarage

FKreider wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:56 pm

mpinout.png

Marty
Hi Marty,

Page 9 of the attached manual lists the analog input voltage range as 0-10VDC and specifies that the signal must be isolated so I am thinking you are correct.
Thank you for posting a link to the manual! (SO very important when asking for help)
Yes, clearly stated it will take a 0-10V Isolated analog signal.
Use Acorn relay board for the contact closures for FWD, REV, Spindle Brake etc.
You will either need to contact MINARIK to see if they have an Isolation daughter board for your drive or use the KB240SID previously mentioned.
BUT it appears you can keep the spindle drive and spindle motor. That's a big thing on your conversion.

Keep us posted on your build progress. Consider using closed loop hybrid stepper system. Gary Campbell sells Leadshine and automationtechnologiesinc.com sells their private lable systems.

Marty
Mesa, AZ