Fusion 360 Mill Post Processor for Acorn with additional Features (New Version 5)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

FlySox
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Fusion 360 Mill Post Processor for Acorn with additional Features (New Version 5)

Post by FlySox »

Some interesting info relevant to the tapping discussion on pages 5 & 6 in this Tormach guide: https://tormach.com/media/asset/t/d/td1 ... _1020a.pdf
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Re: Fusion 360 Mill Post Processor for Acorn with additional Features (New Version 5)

Post by Muzzer »

I found that Peter Smidt doesn't cover dwell in G84, as it's not std in Fanuc Macro B. However, as pointed out, it's a parameter used in Centroid's G84. I played with this some time ago - and thought I had concluded that it didn't help much. This evening I've just played with a dummy file, doing some air tapping and sure enough, it's clear I was talking out of my backside - not for the first or last time I'm sure.

My machine takes ages to slow down and restart due to the large motor and reduction gears in low ratio, so I need about 2.5s pause to allow the tap to revert to where it should have been if it had stopped quickly. That's with no load of course - a large tap would stop almost immediately.

Here's the line that does the tapping:
(S250 M3)
G98 G84 X0. Y0 Z-10 R5. F500. P2.5

It taps to 10mm depth with a pitch of 2mm and pauses for 2.5 seconds.

What I think I DO recall is that the Fusion 360 Centroid post doesn't post the dwell (P) times, so you need to manually edit the code if you want one. Which might be the closest I get to an excuse here. I suppose, if Swissi hadn't decided to edit the post to include the P parameter, it might have been sensible to fix the issue by editing the macro executed at the bottom of the hole (specified in parameter #75) to autogenerate a pause. But indeed the best result would be a Fusion post that passes the pauses through. That way you could always create a parametric expression in Fusion to shorten the pause with larger taps for instance.

I'll get there in the end! Apologies if I talked down to anyone along the way.
converterking

Post by converterking »

You can make the following modification to the onCyclePoint function in the post to output the dwell time with the tapping cycles. You will need to add the code to the 'tapping', 'left-tapping', and 'right-tapping' cases.

case "tapping":
if (!F) {
F = tool.getTappingFeedrate();
}
writeBlock(
gRetractModal.format(98), gAbsIncModal.format(90), gCycleModal.format((tool.type == TOOL_TAP_LEFT_HAND) ? 74 : 84),
getCommonCycle(x, y, z, cycle.retract),
conditional((P > 0), "P" + secFormat.format(P)),
feedOutput.format(F)
);
break;
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

The next version of the Post Processor will have the Dwell P factor of the tapping cycle.

For those who need it right now, download the post processor that I posted in this thread here that also includes the "Boundary Feature" as described in the post.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
BillB

Post by BillB »

I’m using Fusion 360 for CAD, CAM I posted a file yesterday to test. I selected the post processor inside Fusions list of posts. Is that one current for use with Acorn & CNC12 on there website? Or is this post here the better option?
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

BillB wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:04 pm I’m using Fusion 360 for CAD, CAM I posted a file yesterday to test. I selected the post processor inside Fusions list of posts. Is that one current for use with Acorn & CNC12 on there website? Or is this post here the better option?
As the title of this thread says, this PP has additional features. If you are happy with the standard PP use that one. If you would like to have any of the additional features as described in this thread and in the User Guide, use this one.

It's really that simple :lol:

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
BillB

Post by BillB »

swissi wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:06 am
BillB wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:04 pm I’m using Fusion 360 for CAD, CAM I posted a file yesterday to test. I selected the post processor inside Fusions list of posts. Is that one current for use with Acorn & CNC12 on there website? Or is this post here the better option?
As the title of this thread says, this PP has additional features. If you are happy with the standard PP use that one. If you would like to have any of the additional features as described in this thread and in the User Guide, use this one.

It's really that simple :lol:

-swissi
:( right I’ll use yours. Thanks.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I have been using your post processor successfully with v4.5 for a long time. Since updating to v5.04 it no longer switches from flood to mist coolant when using the same tool for separate subsequent toolpaths. I manly use your post for 4th axis work, I have not had a chance to try it yet hopefully nothing else has changed. :(
Ashsrdtuning

Post by Ashsrdtuning »

How do i download and instal this post processor in fudon 360 ?
Many thanks for the help

Ash
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Ashsrdtuning wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:30 pm How do i download and instal this post processor in fudon 360 ?
Many thanks for the help

Ash

Uwe