CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Plasma Version of CNC12 Wish list

Post by tblough »

slodat wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:45 am How would CSR work on a plasma? Would you need a touch probe?
As slodat mentioned, you just jog the machine to a point on the material (using your eye to gauge the torch position, or an alignment laser for better accuracy, or a probe for even better accuracy), F10 to accept that point and then jog to a second point on what you want to align to and repeat.

Like all the other part setup routines, you do not need a probe. You can position the machine any way you want, to any desired accuracy, and accept the current position.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

yep!
you can 'manually' jog the torch to "teach in" the angle or specify the angle by typing it in.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
legacytorch
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DAD489A3F-1215170079

Post by legacytorch »

What factors limit the THC to only work with hypertherm units? Does the centroid system use the serial interface rather than the standard CPC port?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

legacytorch wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:10 pm What factors limit the THC to only work with hypertherm units? Does the centroid system use the serial interface rather than the standard CPC port?
Hello.
Simply put, Hypertherm units provide the cleanest voltage signal to the CNC and are the most consistent by a long shot. We have tested now extensively with three different Hypertherm units on our in house machine and with multiple beta testers that also have Hypertherm as well. It makes sense to develop our new product around a reliable made in USA plasma unit. Our approach to customer success mirrors our past philosophy of actually working with and testing the equipment we recommend and support. said another way we will support only units that we have had direct experience with since we know how it works and can help customers with good direct information on how to setup and operate that equipment. There are so many variables when it comes to plasma. Adding in a china made plasma box that puts out crazy noise on the signal, has grounding issue internally and cant hold an even voltage at a given gap is a recipe for failure. That being said, our plan moving forward is to test various makes and models and "certify" them as compatible with our hardware and software and we have begun that process. We are currently working with a Lincoln FlexCut 200. Other units will be added to the approved list as time goes on and we are able to test them.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Scary
CNC Control System Serial Number: None

Post by Scary »

If I can add another big vote for a scribe function/offset. I will definitely be running a Centroid unit as soon as I can but the loss of a tool offset for a scriber would probably be a deal breaker. Most jobs I run have holes/features that cannot be a cut edge and I use the scribe to mark a circle and cross to mark centre. This allows the job to be cut and handed over to a drill/mill etc and quickly set up for boring. I also use the scribe for a lot of text engravings marking dimensions or other technical information like wear limits, tolerances and part/serial numbers or build dates. The scribe function in my opinion is just as important as the plasma. With a powerful processor like Centroid it would be a shame if they missed such a feature for small fabricators like myself.
skookem
CNC Control System Serial Number: later

Post by skookem »

Keith let me see if i understand this correctly ... from the hypertherm and other good preferred plasma cutters you get a scaled down voltage from a pair of terminals and you use this to control the THC ? So i have an Old transformer(100kg) ESAB 3 phase LPA 55 it has no outputs .. should i give up ? or should i build some kind of voltage divider arrangement ?
Scary
CNC Control System Serial Number: None

Post by Scary »

If I can add one other Item.......
There are a few people that do not have access to Hypertherm or just prefer other machines for various reasons. I'm not asking for support on these machines but please don't limit the CNC to "Hypertherm only" features. If it could be as retrofit friendly like all the other Acorn items and allow users the options of setting up other cutting machines.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Scary wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:51 am If I can add another big vote for a scribe function/offset. I will definitely be running a Centroid unit as soon as I can but the loss of a tool offset for a scriber would probably be a deal breaker. Most jobs I run have holes/features that cannot be a cut edge and I use the scribe to mark a circle and cross to mark centre. This allows the job to be cut and handed over to a drill/mill etc and quickly set up for boring. I also use the scribe for a lot of text engravings marking dimensions or other technical information like wear limits, tolerances and part/serial numbers or build dates. The scribe function in my opinion is just as important as the plasma. With a powerful processor like Centroid it would be a shame if they missed such a feature for small fabricators like myself.
scribe is on the to do list, should be pretty easy to do..
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Scary wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:56 am If I can add one other Item.......
There are a few people that do not have access to Hypertherm or just prefer other machines for various reasons. I'm not asking for support on these machines but please don't limit the CNC to "Hypertherm only" features. If it could be as retrofit friendly like all the other Acorn items and allow users the options of setting up other cutting machines.
yes of course, said another way, we are launching with a factory tested success path! if you want guaranteed results go with our recommendations.

If you want to experiment, thats great..but please don't go on Facebook and flame us (ever pun intended) if it doesn't work with some other setup. There will be no factory support for plasma boxes other than the ones on the approved list. Right now that list consists of Hyperthrem XP series, (and Lincoln FlexCut is warming up in the bull pen).

Just so there are no misconceptions or pipe dreams that a Harbor Freight Plasma box can be used....just like other THC's out there, our THC will not work with cheap noisy China made plasma boxes.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Scary wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:56 am If I can add one other Item.......
what other cutting machines do you have in mind?