CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ACORN Rev 4 Controller Board

Post by cbb1962 »

This was from a Facebook post:
Liviu Degeratu This is all tentative:
1. The Acorn itself is hardware locked to 4 axes (this is related to US Government Export Control), we have other options like the Oak which are expandable up to 8 axes.
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

Chaz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 am How long until we get the I/O Board please? Myself and a many others are patiently waiting. Ive got Turrets to code and whilst Centroid is the weapon of choice, I dont want to keep messing about with Arduinos and hacky stuff to make it all work. Pretty please.
Thanks
As stated before, and maybe even numerous times, spring to early summer, coincidental with CNC12 v4.16. Hardware is complete, the tie in and testing with software is not. CNC12 v4.14 is in the final stages, but will not be released before it is ready.

Chaz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 am Also, when will this board do 2 more axis? Surely if you have the basis of a 4 axis board, allowing 2 more axis could be relatively straight forward? Ive got a number of requirements where I'd like to do a 5 Axis machine but am forced to look elsewhere.
Thanks
Elsewhere other than Centroid? You surely arent looking to do a real 5 axis machine without servos? The Oak or Allin1 are sitting on the shelf waiting for you!

[/quote]
Chaz,
From what I understand it's the government regulations that have caused Centroid to limit the Acorn to 4-axis.

Maybe Centroid can make a "Seedling" or "Sapling" board that is more than 4-axis, step/direction,16-inputs, 16-outputs, with wizard configuration for $750-ish?
[/quote]

The government has some restictions on 5 axis simultaneous controllers only. Not to be confused with 5 or even 6 axes capable. Most 5 axis capable machines will use 3+2 motion control. Liviu was referring to 5 axis simultaneous (I assume) rather than 3+2, 4+1 or 4+2.

There is an upgrade board in the wind, similar to "Oak for Steppers". Expanded axes, expanded IO, expanded price. Pretty much inline with your ballpark. No time schedule, as it sits in line waiting for staff to take care of those items ahead of it in line.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Richards
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Richards »

Nice job on the latest v4 schematics. Thanks.
-Mike Richards
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Chaz »

Gary Campbell wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:12 am
Chaz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 am How long until we get the I/O Board please? Myself and a many others are patiently waiting. Ive got Turrets to code and whilst Centroid is the weapon of choice, I dont want to keep messing about with Arduinos and hacky stuff to make it all work. Pretty please.
Thanks
As stated before, and maybe even numerous times, spring to early summer, coincidental with CNC12 v16. Hardware is complete, the tie in and testing with software is not. CNC12 v14 is in the final stages, but will not be released before it is ready.

Chaz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 am Also, when will this board do 2 more axis? Surely if you have the basis of a 4 axis board, allowing 2 more axis could be relatively straight forward? Ive got a number of requirements where I'd like to do a 5 Axis machine but am forced to look elsewhere.
Thanks
Elsewhere other than Centroid? You surely arent looking to do a real 5 axis machine without servos? The Oak or Allin1 are sitting on the shelf waiting for you!

Chaz,
From what I understand it's the government regulations that have caused Centroid to limit the Acorn to 4-axis.

Maybe Centroid can make a "Seedling" or "Sapling" board that is more than 4-axis, step/direction,16-inputs, 16-outputs, with wizard configuration for $750-ish?
[/quote]

The government has some restictions on 5 axis simultaneous controllers only. Not to be confused with 5 or even 6 axes capable. Most 5 axis capable machines will use 3+2 motion control. Liviu was referring to 5 axis simultaneous (I assume) rather than 3+2, 4+1 or 4+2.

There is an upgrade board in the wind, similar to "Oak for Steppers". Expanded axes, expanded IO, expanded price. Pretty much inline with your ballpark. No time schedule, as it sits in line waiting for staff to take care of those items ahead of it in line.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.

And yes, Centroid for Servos (5 axis). The same way I currently run 3 Axis with Panasonic servos, Id like to be able to control 5. Oak etc is another pricing level, completely different ballgame.
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Chaz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:26 pm
And yes, Centroid for Servos (5 axis). The same way I currently run 3 Axis with Panasonic servos, Id like to be able to control 5. Oak etc is another pricing level, completely different ballgame.
Exactly... For the most part Acorn is intended to be competitive with the hobby level (price level) controllers. I am sure the guys at Centroid will have it have as many features as the budget will allow. Currently they are far and away better than any others I can think of.

Ball game? You hit the nail on the head. 3-4 axes and steppers, maybe some servos = AAA ball. 5 axes and Servos = the "Bigs". Price of admission is always going to be more in the big league.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Acorn_rev4 and CNC12 v4.14+ New Feature: Acorn BBG Heart beat light has been piped out to the Acorn 24 vdc Power indicator LED so now that LED serves two purposes.
1.) confirms 24 vdc logic power has been applied to the Acorn board
2.) echos the BBG "heartbeat" led so that it is easier to see, confirming that the BBG has booted Centroid Acorn firmware and is ready to run.

https://youtu.be/1sNqwGHYTOY

https://youtu.be/1sNqwGHYTOY
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
bdlitzer
CNC11: Yes

Post by bdlitzer »

If you have to have a rev4, maybe you could do a swapout for $199 per: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ranty.html