2-axis Sharp knee mill revival - Now with 50% more axes!!

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

FlySox
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: 2-axis Sharp knee mill revival - Now with 50% more axes!!

Post by FlySox »

Overdue for an update, and the big news is I’ve successfully added “Z” to my formerly 2-axis conversion! I’ve joined (most of) the rest of you in the *t h i r d d i m e n s i o n* (meant to be read with an echo effect).

This escape from flatland started with the purchase of a suitable Z-axis motor. For me, this meant a match to the SEM MT30 servos on my X & Y axes, for no particular reason beyond knowing I can tune one of these to my Dugong drives. A quick trip to eBay revealed a decent price on an “R” version of this motor. This means it’s a little longer and more powerful than the “M” versions already on my machine (the further down the alphabet you go, the longer and stronger the motors get in this long-since-retired line), but it shouldn’t matter much.

The seller was happy to sell motors individually, having taken three off of an old machine. I took the left one pictured below:

sem motors.png

It was only after a couple of back and forths that I took notice of the eBay seller’s name, “marty_in_mesa”. Hmm, that seems somehow familiar. My suspicions were confirmed at the end of our conversation when out of the blue he recommended the Centroid All-in-One for my conversion. Yep, I bought the motor from this forum’s very own Marty! By the time I figured it out, I didn’t even bother introducing myself. I will say, he was lightning fast and helpful with his responses to my questions, and boxed up the motor and sent it out the very day I paid for it. Two thumbs up for Marty.

I received the motor a few days later and popped off the encoder cover to see what was under there. Looks like a 500 line encoder; no worries the plan was always to install the third 2048 line Calt encoder I bought a couple of months ago when I was working on X & Y.

IMG_1245.jpg

Under the encoder we find the tachometer assembly typical of these motors and a 0.250” shaft. That’s a minor bummer, since my encoder wants a 6mm shaft:

IMG_1246.jpg

Fortunately, it’s not hard to find 6mm to .250” shaft adapters. Yet another Amazon box later, this problem was surmounted:

IMG_1288.jpg

A little trickier was the fact that the encoder face has a raised boss around the shaft bearing that prevents the encoder from sitting flat on the motor’s encoder riser. This required me to bore a recess into the riser. I found the center of the hole using my probe and CNC12’s bore probing routine. My first real use of the probe, and it couldn’t have gone more smoothly:

IMG_1287.jpg

After that, it was a matter of wiring up the encoder, power, and shield and threading it through the liquid-tight conduit I had cut to length and fitted with appropriate screw connectors:

IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1267.jpg

Next update: Installing an Elrod Z-axis kit, and mounting the motor to it. Spoiler alert: installing the Z-axis kit was not as fun as it really should have been, but I won’t dwell on that, having vented about it here.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: 2-axis Sharp knee mill revival

Post by martyscncgarage »

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Looking forward to the rest of the build and the machine making chips!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Talking of Z axis, Bridgeport etc, here's a Z axis bracket for my BP conversion (version 2). Made on my Shizuoka machine with Centroid Acorn controls, SEM motors, Dugong drives and using Fusion toolpaths yesterday. Came out well for a 35 year old machine.
IMG_8695.JPG
IMG_8696.JPG
This should form the basis for a self-contained assembly comprising the motor, belt drive, thrust bearing and ballscrew with minimal impact on the machine head itself (requiring just 2 tapped holes).

Looking forward to seeing how your 3rd axis comes along!
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by frijoli »

Muzzer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:02 am Talking of Z axis, Bridgeport etc, here's a Z axis bracket for my BP conversion (version 2). Made on my Shizuoka machine with Centroid Acorn controls,

IMG_8695.JPG
IMG_8696.JPG
Well Done!
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by frijoli »

FlySox wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 pm Overdue for an update, and the big news is I’ve successfully added “Z” to my formerly 2-axis conversion! I’ve joined (most of) the rest of you in the *t h i r d d i m e n s i o n* (meant to be read with an echo effect).

Next update: Installing an Elrod Z-axis kit, and mounting the motor to it. Spoiler alert: installing the Z-axis kit was not as fun as it really should have been, but I won’t dwell on that, having vented about it here.
Looking forward to seeing chips come from this!
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Part looks great. Still think there is a market for a good turnkey Z axis mount.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Muzzer

Post by Muzzer »

I agree with you, Marty. If I'd been able to find an affordable solution rather than make one myself, I'd have done so. But the Elrod-type kits cost twice what I paid for my machine, so were never on the cards. I guess I'm trying to develop something that is professional quality but doesn't break the bank, rather like the Acorn itself, which is opening up the CNC world and its exciting possibilities to the likes of us.

If you look at the worst case loads on the main components, there's really no need for massive cast parts, which helps on the cost and complexity front for starters. I'll see how I get on here and if it looks viable, perhaps there may be the possibility of making it more widely available.
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Muzzer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:02 amThis should form the basis for a self-contained assembly comprising the motor, belt drive, thrust bearing and ballscrew with minimal impact on the machine head itself (requiring just 2 tapped holes).
WOW, that is truly a work of art! :) It gives wannabe machinists like me something to aim for.

How long did that part take to run?
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Muzzer

Post by Muzzer »

It took something like 25 minutes for the bottom operations and perhaps 20 for the top side operations, plus about 10 mins for the cover (not shown). The machining time estimate in Fusion is grossly pessimistic (by a factor of ~2) for some unknown reason (I've usually found it to be fairly accurate) but as you can see, the main roughing and finishing operations for the bottom side are shown in this vid and take about 17 minutes, rather than the 38 mins estimated. That left the chamfering and drilling ops which were fairly quick. I'd actually reduced the feeds and speeds from what I'd previously been using but suspect that was over cautious.
https://youtu.be/cYXmZaHI6FM

What I really need is an air blast nozzle to clear the swarf, so I don't need to waste my life doing it manually. The coolant reservoir in the base of the machine is far too small for high flow rates and I need to refit the guard to contain the stuff flying about. It hurts like hell. Has anyone tried using a HVLP system?

Taking the time to get the Fusion toolpaths right really pays off. Similarly, designing in all the features you need up front doesn't cost much but means you don't need to keep thinking "if only I'd thought of that..." afterwards.
FlySox

Post by FlySox »

This is truly an inspiration, particularly since you have a setup very similar to mine. Something for me to aspire to!