Shopbot gets new life! Acorn performs magnificent.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Shopbot gets new life! Acorn performs magnificent.

Post by martyscncgarage »

robtown wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:42 am Done and done. Hold my beer...

I've decided to forge ahead and build one myself.
My apologies to Gary for the head fake as I've inquired with him about his upgrades a couple times over the last years.

The fact is, my machine is not a production machine nor do I depend on it for much more than a theatre set a year for my daughter's drama club and an occasional small furniture or sign job here and there.

Being a tinkerer, this is an "it's about the journey, not the destination" thing for me. And the more I read here, the more I want to jump in myself.

Two things I've never done much of... or very well, electronics and carburetors. I'm a software guy and a tinkerer, but I think I can handle this.

The plan:
I think instead of cannibalizing my existing control box, I'm just going to build a new one. That way if it works I can either sell the old box or keep it in case I ever need it. Plus, my PRT box has the original 48v power supply in it, not that sweet torroidal 63v supply, so basically all I have to repurpose out of my old box is an underpowered power supply and the Geckos. So...

1. I've ordered 4 Gecko 203v's, a DB25 breakout board and the Acorn kit.
2. I think I will order a 63v torroidal PS from Antek. I see the Geckos have a rating of 80v max, but I figure why push it. If I'm reading things correctly, more power just means more speed (and more heat)... I want better cuts, not faster cuts. Or should I get the 80v?
3. Finding an enclosure has been a challenge... I guess I'll either pull the TIG out of storage and fab one from alum or just buy a swank gaming case... (open to any suggestions here... eBay has a couple potential enclosures, but the shipping for all of the ones I've found is more than the cost of the enclosure itself)
4. I'll pick up any incidentals like wire ducting, cooling fans and distribution blocks as needed (not exactly sure what I'll need yet)
5. As to the heatsink(s) issues... I can buy the Gecko heatsink for 74.00 that only holds three 203v's, or I have plenty of 1/4" alum plate laying around that I can make 4 mounting plates (heatsinks) with, or I can buy 4 cpu heatsinks.
6. I have a couple Win7 laptops laying around that I can update to Windows 10, or maybe I'll check with Gary to see if he still has any of those optimized Lenovos for sale.
7. Get everything running/turning/spinning on the bench, then transfer over to the PRT
8. New steppers? (or is this something I should be considering now... not later?)

"Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth"

Please feel free to poke holes in any part of this plan, or alert me to any gotcha's. I'd rather know now, not later...
Power supply size is dependent on your stepper motors. You are buying good stepper drives. They throttle back the current when the machine is idle helping to keep the motors cool.

I would likely buy a power supply that is sized correctly to the motors. Do you know the model number of the stepper motors?

Sounds like you have an idea what you want to do. Just take your time, bench test everything before mounting to the machine. Factorymation.com has some decent prices on cabinets.

START YOUR OWN BUILD THREAD. DO NOT TAG onto this one.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
MattD
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by MattD »

Well, I promised I'd show some video of the machine running. It's nothing glorious, but here's a little action and information. If anyone has any questions, feel free. It seems my post inspired another to take a stab at upgrading their Shopbot V4g control box and I imagine others, even with newer Shopbot control boxes, may be interested in doing the same!

https://youtu.be/qy3bGt0P_Yg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Nice, thanks for sharing.
Did you buy the wireless MPG? If not, you might consider it. Will make setups easier.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
MattD

Post by MattD »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:16 pm Nice, thanks for sharing.
Did you buy the wireless MPG? If not, you might consider it. Will make setups easier.
Nope, but if I was to convert one of the other modern machines, I'd totally go for it. I've seen it in action and it's totally worth it.
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Matt...
I didnt realize you were converting that "ol gal over in the corner". She has been a workhorse for sure. One down, four to go! Just wait till you upgrade one of the newer ones. Thanks for posting
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
MattD

Post by MattD »

Gary Campbell wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:25 pm Matt...
I didnt realize you were converting that "ol gal over in the corner". She has been a workhorse for sure. One down, four to go! Just wait till you upgrade one of the newer ones. Thanks for posting
I suppose I should have been more specific since you're aware of our arsenal of shopbot controlled machines and we do have two PRTs. Naturally this old beast has its uses given its size over the smaller one that doesn't see as much use. You're absolutely spot on with the "old gal over in the corner". She isn't winning any prizes, but needs to do her fair share to justify all that floor space. We got exactly what we needed since it's most often used for large and lonnng 3D carving that we can't have a failure on 18 hours in. Thanks for your help along the way!