Is it possible to invert the output (4) on the DB-25?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Grifftek
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0503160222
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Is it possible to invert the output (4) on the DB-25?

Post by Grifftek »

I would like to use output 4 from the DB25 connector to turn on a solid state relay which controls the spindle.

Currently, this is wired up and works except that I need the signal to be inverted as the relay is on when the spindle is off and off when turned on.

Using the <ctrl> <alt> <i> key combination from the diagnostic screen does not invert the output (put a line over the output 4) but <ctrl> <alt> <f> works to force the output on and off (and puts a line under 4 if its not in the normal state).

Thanks

Bill
Attachments
report_F045DA80C465-0824181156_2018-10-21_22-08-51.zip
(181.88 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Grifftek

Re: Is it possible to invert the output (4) on the DB-25?

Post by Grifftek »

I mistakenly attached the wrong file, I have edited the original post to include the report file.

You can see some photos and a video of the machine running here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/soKpqDiaz9sgfwis8

I found this info in another thread, but the invert function doesn't work. It only toggles the incremental and continuous button on the screen.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1769&p=11617&hilit ... put#p11617

Tips and Tricks for PLC / CNC12 (please add if you like)
Post by Threedj16 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Ok, thought it would be cool to start up a thread on the tips and tricks. I've learned a lot from Centroid Tech support and some I've picked up along the way. If I posted anything wrong, please correct. My memory sux, so I take notes, too bad my handwriting sux also...LOL. :lol:

[*]For the next two tips, you can use the keyboard arrow keys to move the square highlight box around to each in/out/mem bit before doing the force on or invert.
[*]One really cool tip about using the I/O Map screen (Alt i) is you can force on/off an output with cntrl-alt-F. Repeat key sequence to force it back and again to reset it back to normal (there will be a line below the LED if not reset to normal).

[*]Similar to the first item, you can use cntrl-alt-i to invert an input or set it to non inverted (there will be a line above the LED if inverted)
Forgot to add the part about moving the square box around on the I/O panel using the arrow keys before forcing or inverting an out or in.

[*]Using PLC detective, on the third tab you can list out all your variables for the code portion you are working with. This can take a bit to setup. So there is a save/load function in the bottom right of the screen....absolutely use this. As every time you restart, just load the list and you are back testing. And old school trick when you save the name, you a number in front of the name like 0 or 1 to keep it at the top of your file open dialog box. This saves a lot of time scrolling down to get a files named with a letter.
[*]In the first tab of the PLC detective, you can watch your logic happening in real time. But you can also hover the mouse over the variable (except for system variables) and see the current value; ie, like counting tool positions. Also inputs, outputs, timers and numerous other items, will be blue highlighted when they are in an active state. Makes watching the code run so much easier as you can see them go on and off in real time.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Bill,
Nice retrofit. I use a DM2400 as my test bed. I used the Geckodrive G540 and plug it into Acorn's DB25. However. I use Acorn's headers for the IO
The only thing I can suggest for you is to use a small SPDT ice cube relay. If you are not using output 2, you could wire it directly to Acorn's RL2 terminal block.

I do not believe you can invert the state of the DB25 outputs, nor can you on Acorn's headers. They are on or off. You need to use relays otherwise.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Grifftek

Post by Grifftek »

Hi Marty
I retrofitted this machine back in the 90s for a customer and just recently they contacted me concerning a problem they were having. I convinced them to just upgrade to centroid and retire the DOS system!

The machine is used to cut the laser welded tops off of microwave rf modules for testing and tuning. It's used in a secure lab where the testing and tuning happens. These modules are used in military and aerospace applications. This company has a full blown machine shop with lots of people but this little machine is their little workhorse in the lab!

I was trying to simply make a db25 to db37 adapter cable work without rewiring the machine, this would be very beneficial to me on other Ahha upgrades to Acorn.

Since I couldn't get any confirmation here on the forum or thru centroid's tech support line, and the fact that it doesn't work on my cnc11 3.14 I gave up on the simple idea and just rewired outputs 3 and 4 to just sink the current the solid state relays need instead of sourcing it. More hassle but that is the way the ball bounces sometimes.

But the more I use the acorn (this is the 4th system I have running now) the more I really appreciate what Ahha was able to do with there ISA bus IF interface cards and DOS-based software back in the day! And don't anyone get me wrong, I am in no way complaining about the acorn, it is a far superior product in almost every way. Once the I/O board is released with the updated wizard, the DIY world will have access to some really capable "retired" iron that can be retrofitted with state of the art software and a very high degree of functionality that comes with the professional level Oak control!

A question for Keith, will you be able to use more than one ethernet based I/O board in cases where more io is needed!

Long ago I retrofitted 2 sheet metal punch presses and in the haha system unused all of the 16 ins and outs on the interface card plus all of the ins and outs on the parallel port. I even had a couple of inputs pulling double duty on one of the machines! Also did the same thing on one of the old Bridgeport BOSS tool changing knee mills!

It's an exciting time to be involved in diy cnc today.....just wished I had the energy I had 25 years ago.., work my day job 9 hours a day then spend another 6 to 8 hours a night playing err I mean working on CNC machines!
Those were fun times!

Regards
Bill Griffin
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

BIll,
thanks for all the great posts and sharing your experience and expertise here for all to benefit from.
the new Ethernet i/o expansion card added to an Acorn will result in 24 inputs and 24 outputs total. 8 in /out on board the Acorn plus the 16 in/out on the i/o expansion card. we plan on supporting one i/o expansion card when used with Acorn with the first software release that includes the i/o expansion card support and may increase that number in future release. -k
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Grifftek

Post by Grifftek »

Thanks for the update! I am very excited about the release of the Router interface and the extended i/o.

As you're aware of I have a dual headed router that I retrofitted with acorn and I have since picked up a nice drill block that I would like to replace one of the spindles with. This will take probably 10 outputs plus some custom PLC program that is way beyond my brain power!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tjzwf9TVxdaBAA2SA

Here is a link with some videos of the router, keep in mind this is an open loop stepper machine if you watch the videos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pZGn76keF2FuU2KG6

I recently took a look at a very large industrial router with the main spindle with rotary tool changer and a drill block sub spindle. The machine was hooked to a 200 amp sub panel with a 100 amp breaker for the router and the vacuum pump that came with it is on another 100 amp breaker. their dust collector was on a 50 amp breaker fed from a separate sub panel in the shop. There is a long story behind the machine but the short version was the original owner died shortly after purchasing it and it sat in storage for many years before this company bought it. They have not been able to get the control running even after paying several techs to work on it.... now they just want to dump it and give up on the CNC! perfect candidate for any of the Centroid controls!

Like I said earlier I wish I was younger and had the energy to tackle projects like this! Maybe when I retire in a few years....

Regards

Bill
cbb1962
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by cbb1962 »

Grifftek wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 pm As you're aware of I have a dual headed router that I retrofitted with acorn and I have since picked up a nice drill block that I would like to replace one of the spindles with. This will take probably 10 outputs plus some custom PLC program that is way beyond my brain power!
Were you able to get the Drill Block working on the Acorn?
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...