Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Servo Spindle encoder options - non direct drive

Post by osrix25 »

Background
I'm in the process of a retrofit with the Acorn board to a Boxford TCL 125 lathe. I was intending on using the DC spindle with Lenze 530 driver and feeding the analogue through an opto isolator. I have already fitted an encoder direct to the spindle for this purpose.

It occured to me that using a Servo for the spindle motor would give better torque at lower speeds and could use the encoder on the servo driver to feed back to the Acorn.

Either way the spindle would be belt driven from the motor.

Question
Since the encoder on the servo is indirect to the spindle. Am I better to use the encoder directly attached to the spindle or use the servo encoder Feedback?
That is assuming the quadrature output of a servo drive is compatible with the encoder input of the acorn board?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Servo Spindle encoder options - non direct drive

Post by martyscncgarage »

osrix25 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:27 pm Background
I'm in the process of a retrofit with the Acorn board to a Boxford TCL 125 lathe. I was intending on using the DC spindle with Lenze 530 driver and feeding the analogue through an opto isolator. I have already fitted an encoder direct to the spindle for this purpose.

It occured to me that using a Servo for the spindle motor would give better torque at lower speeds and could use the encoder on the servo driver to feed back to the Acorn.

Either way the spindle would be belt driven from the motor.

Question
Since the encoder on the servo is indirect to the spindle. Am I better to use the encoder directly attached to the spindle or use the servo encoder Feedback?
That is assuming the quadrature output of a servo drive is compatible with the encoder input of the acorn board?
Belt the servo motor to the spindle with a timing belt at 1:1

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
osrix25
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Servo Spindle encoder options - non direct drive

Post by osrix25 »

Thank you Marty,
As simple as that! 1:1 drive Belt :) you've made me a happy man Ive been going round and round it for days and always missing the most simple solution.

Many thanks

Ben