Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Retrofitting a Gerber Sabre

Post by bmilam »

I am looking at possibly purchasing a Gerber Sabre 404 router and retrofitting it with Acorn. Since I have never done this before I am wondering if there is someone familiar enough with Acorn that might have a little bit of time to discuss it with me. I've been trying to read and watch some videos on it but have questions as to what components that I would need to replace and help selecting the proper ones. I'm really trying to figure out what the cost to retrofit would cost me and if it is worth the effort.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Retrofitting a Gerber Sabre

Post by cnckeith »

post his res photos of the machine and its electrical cabinet in a google photo album and post the link here so we can comment.

in general
Acorn $299
if you need new axis motors and drives...new leadshine closed loop axis motors and drives $200 - $300 per axis depending on size
computer for CNCPC $200--$1000
Pro CNC12 software $139
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
bmilam
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by bmilam »

I don't have the machine to take photos of. I was wanting to find out info before I bought so I would know what I was getting myself into. What you posted was about what I was coming up with but I was worried that I was forgetting about something. Thanks for the help
lilb93
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0216041209
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by lilb93 »

There not the the greatest router ever made, they way at the bottom. Bought a new 408 15 years ago it slow and has very little Z travel I think the max z was 3" You could build a better one yourself today. They were servo motors on them. Very wild machines with there software. We had the tool changer which almost never worked.
If you can get it cheap like 1 to 2 K or less and it has a 7 or 10 HP high frequency spindle it would be a good candidate for the Acorn. If it has a porter cable spindle 500.00 or less.
Barnesville, PA.

I always thought it would take longer to grow old.