Considering CNC12/Acorn...Can it support a turning head on a mill??? (ANSWERED)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

roundel325
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Considering CNC12/Acorn...Can it support a turning head on a mill??? (ANSWERED)

Post by roundel325 »

Hello All -- I'm looking for a controller for a Prolight 2000 mill what has Gecko G320X-driven servos. I'm confident the Acorn and CNC12 will be great on this machine and am nearly ready to purchase one (I have a friend with a similar setup and he loves it). However, I'm setting up the machine with prototyping and versatility in mind and it will have a turning spindle, tailstock, and toolholder on the mill head similar to the Tormach Rapidturn. Can CNC12 support this configuration on a mill? Can I switch between tooling and machine profiles for turning and milling without buying two acorns? Would I just buy the Mill Pro and Lathe Pro software? Please enlighten me.

Thanks!
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Considering CNC12/Acorn...Can it support a turning head on a mill???

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

You would need to run the Mill for Milling and Lathe for Turning. You can install both instances of software on one PC. The setup for each would be self contained, as would everything else like tool library etc. If you need the features in the Pro License you would need to purchase Mill Pro and Lathe Pro.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
roundel325
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Considering CNC12/Acorn...Can it support a turning head on a mill???

Post by roundel325 »

Thank you for your clear response.