Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn dll or api

Post by Gregg »

Please tell me that it is possible to get the dll or api software package to talk to the acorn. I am operating on a very tight budget for this project because I can no logger work due to a back injury.
mikes
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Re: Acorn dll or api

Post by mikes »

It's a closed system. You can right macros, and run them using g-code, but there is no API to directly communicate with the acorn, or CNC12.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

fyi..we are working on the ability for user to create their own screen sets..will be available in cnc12 release 4.5
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

so the usb/serial port will accept text G code as control?
I will have to keep track of head position in my interface software?
the macro's are G code?
Charlie.G
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2693D0BD1-0105180478MPU12

Post by Charlie.G »

Gregg,
I am not sure I understand your question, and maybe no one else as well?
anyway I will try to help I am no expert but I am currently using an acorn.
were you running mach3 before?
if so it is quite similar to mach you will need to draw your part in some type cad / cam type software
( I use Vcarve pro) or you can draw it in some other program and import it to the cam software,
select tools ect and set up your cut path (you will need to set your post processor to output to centroid,)
create your file bring it to your machine load up file and cut just the same process as it was for mach3
just a different post processor.
I don't know if this is what you were talking about or not but I hope it will help.

Charlie
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I am building a 6'x4' cnc and would like to create the interface myself. Normally as a software engineer I would be able to talk to hardware though an api (application programming interface) but it appears that it's note possible. The question is can I command the card via text (gcode) through the serial interface?
mikes

Post by mikes »

There is no API. Centroid is building a way to skin the UI to create a custom user interface, but from the sounds of it, it will all be done within the CNC12 application. This is not open hardware or software. There is a macro capability within the CNC12 software that allows you to create custom functionality, like specific homing procedures, but again, this is all within the constructs of the CNC12 software. There is no way to directly communicate with the Acorn, nor do I think you would want to, if you could. That is, it appears as though a good portion of the job processing is done on the PC, and sent down to the Acorn. As it is a closed system, it is not entirely clear what protocol or API is used to communicate with the Acorn. I have not heard of anyone snooping the ethernet packets to see what lies within.

You are going to have to make the choice to buy into the platform, and use it as intended or find a more open solution. I come from the 3D printer open hardware realm, and at first had the same kinds of questions. All I can say is that the solution appears to be high quality, and is being actively developed. Centroid has taken feature requests and is working to add them, but if you think you are going to be able to take their hardware and write your own code to interface with it, I think you may have an uphill battle.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Thanks
Charlie.G
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2693D0BD1-0105180478MPU12

Post by Charlie.G »

Gregg,
thanks for the explanation,
sorry I am not that deep into the code like you are.
all I can say is this works way better than mach ever did.
hope you find what you are looking for.

Charlie
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

The Centroid Software runs on G & M codes, you can just load a G-Code file you created with something else (CAD/CAM Program) or program it directly on the control. The Centroid Software also has Conversational Programming for both Mill and Lathe setups.

We are working on some software updates that will allow the end-user to "Skin" the UI to what they want.

Hopefully that explains things a bit better.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)