Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB8044-1220170374
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Gecko G214 interface questions

Post by Oldtimer »

Hello,
I recently purchased four Gecko G 214 stepper drives replacing older stepper drives in my control panel. I now have to ensure correct wiring to the Acorn outputs and inputs to avoid connecting wiring to the wrong voltage level and need some confirmation of how to do it right. The Acorn manual states that the screw terminals operate their inputs / outputs at a 24 VDC level but when using the DB 25 inputs / outputs they operate at a 5 VDC level.

The Gecko G214 step / direction / enable inputs as well as the Gecko fault output are requiring a 3.3 VDC or 5 VDC voltage level for safe operation. I assume that I should then wire these Gecko G214 drives to the DB 25 to match the required 5 VDC level. Somebody please confirm.

With regards to the four Gecko fault outputs, I need help regarding how to wire the four fault outputs into the one Acorn drive OK input without having the fault of one drive interfere with the other three drives. I would like an elegant easy solution of that problem, hate to go the relay board way. Any expert recommendation about what and how to do it?

Just updated successfully my mill with the CNC 12 V4.12 updated version and while going through the wizard templates I noticed on the first template 'Primary System Configuration' that the radio button for driver selection shows a reference to Gecko 201, G214 and others. I also noticed that there is no specific Acorn schematic available that references the Gecko G214 drive wiring.

Since I am using four Gecko G214 drives and know that the G 201 drive wiring differs considerably to the G214 drive wiring, will there be soon a schematic available that shows the applicable G214 wiring since the G 214 wiring is quite different to the G 201 wiring, also in light of the above first two paragraphs.

In this context will the Acorn wizard template also be revised on the next update to show the two different drives separately with an appropriate link to the corresponding schematic for each drive?

I am sure there are other gecko G214 users or future users that would appreciate an update / additional information and clarification.

On a different note, after installing the updated CNC 12 V4.12 software I noticed after set up a new symbol on some of the CNC mill display pages - a stylized arrow on the bottom left side marked ' ESC' After calling up the CNC mill program a number of times playing around with it the 'ESC' arrow had disappeared. The escape function can still be used / activated with the keyboard 'ESC' key but the use of the symbol is a lot easier. Any suggestion why I lost the symbol? I also have noticed that after having the program open for say 30 minutes my mouse cursor acted sluggish / erratically. Has any other user had a similar experience like that. Closing the program down and re-open it brings the cursor back to normal for another 25 to 30 minutes. Any idea of what may be causing this?

Thanks. Peter J.
damelman
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: No

Re: Gecko G214 interface questions

Post by damelman »

I had a similar problem wiring up my Viper drives. I am an older timer and was not about to go the db 25 route. My drives need 5 volts as well. I used the screw terminals along with 470 ohm pullup resisters.I found DMM as well as some geckodrives have 5 volt power supplies in their acorn wiring diagrams. so i used those examples to get ideas for the acorn interface. Hope this helps.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Oldtimer wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:26 pm Hello,
I recently purchased four Gecko G 214 stepper drives replacing older stepper drives in my control panel. I now have to ensure correct wiring to the Acorn outputs and inputs to avoid connecting wiring to the wrong voltage level and need some confirmation of how to do it right. The Acorn manual states that the screw terminals operate their inputs / outputs at a 24 VDC level but when using the DB 25 inputs / outputs they operate at a 5 VDC level.

The Gecko G214 step / direction / enable inputs as well as the Gecko fault output are requiring a 3.3 VDC or 5 VDC voltage level for safe operation. I assume that I should then wire these Gecko G214 drives to the DB 25 to match the required 5 VDC level. Somebody please confirm.

With regards to the four Gecko fault outputs, I need help regarding how to wire the four fault outputs into the one Acorn drive OK input without having the fault of one drive interfere with the other three drives. I would like an elegant easy solution of that problem, hate to go the relay board way. Any expert recommendation about what and how to do it?

Just updated successfully my mill with the CNC 12 V4.12 updated version and while going through the wizard templates I noticed on the first template 'Primary System Configuration' that the radio button for driver selection shows a reference to Gecko 201, G214 and others. I also noticed that there is no specific Acorn schematic available that references the Gecko G214 drive wiring.

Since I am using four Gecko G214 drives and know that the G 201 drive wiring differs considerably to the G214 drive wiring, will there be soon a schematic available that shows the applicable G214 wiring since the G 214 wiring is quite different to the G 201 wiring, also in light of the above first two paragraphs.

In this context will the Acorn wizard template also be revised on the next update to show the two different drives separately with an appropriate link to the corresponding schematic for each drive?

I am sure there are other gecko G214 users or future users that would appreciate an update / additional information and clarification.

On a different note, after installing the updated CNC 12 V4.12 software I noticed after set up a new symbol on some of the CNC mill display pages - a stylized arrow on the bottom left side marked ' ESC' After calling up the CNC mill program a number of times playing around with it the 'ESC' arrow had disappeared. The escape function can still be used / activated with the keyboard 'ESC' key but the use of the symbol is a lot easier. Any suggestion why I lost the symbol? I also have noticed that after having the program open for say 30 minutes my mouse cursor acted sluggish / erratically. Has any other user had a similar experience like that. Closing the program down and re-open it brings the cursor back to normal for another 25 to 30 minutes. Any idea of what may be causing this?

Thanks. Peter J.
Per the manual: https://www.geckodrive.com/amfile/file/ ... uct_id/49/
You put +5vdc to the drive and then put the step direction signals to Acorn's terminal blocks (not the DB25)

The ESC Arrow button shows up when you have a screen to ESCAPE back to. Otherwise it is not shown.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Oldtimer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB8044-1220170374

Post by Oldtimer »

Hello Marty,
Thank you for your reply. Please clarify for me:
- Do the Acorn step / direction outputs operate at a 24 VDC logic voltage level as stated in the Acorn manual for the screw terminals?
- In the Gecko G214 manual, section Step 6: Connecting Step and direction signals - it states that the Gecko G214 drive accepts a 3.3 VDC or 5 VDC logic level signal.

I do have the Gecko G214 connected to 5 VDC to power the inputs. A dedicated schematic that shows the Acorn to Gecko G214 wiring and setup would be of great help to sort out my confusion.

I am confused as to whether I can safely hook up the G214 logic inputs to the Acorn screw terminal logic signal outputs if they are at the 24 VDC logic voltage level, which is way higher to what I understand the G214 is comfortable with and may blow the Gecko inputs after prolonged use at that high Acorn voltage output.

Having your attention, do you have a recommendation / schematic regarding the hook up of the four G214 fault outputs to the one Acorn drive OK input that does not involve the use of a relay board?

Thank you, Peter J.
martyscncgarage

Oldtimer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:37 pm Hello Marty,
Thank you for your reply. Please clarify for me:
- Do the Acorn step / direction outputs operate at a 24 VDC logic voltage level as stated in the Acorn manual for the screw terminals?
- In the Gecko G214 manual, section Step 6: Connecting Step and direction signals - it states that the Gecko G214 drive accepts a 3.3 VDC or 5 VDC logic level signal.

I do have the Gecko G214 connected to 5 VDC to power the inputs. A dedicated schematic that shows the Acorn to Gecko G214 wiring and setup would be of great help to sort out my confusion.

I am confused as to whether I can safely hook up the G214 logic inputs to the Acorn screw terminal logic signal outputs if they are at the 24 VDC logic voltage level, which is way higher to what I understand the G214 is comfortable with and may blow the Gecko inputs after prolonged use at that high Acorn voltage output.

Having your attention, do you have a recommendation / schematic regarding the hook up of the four G214 fault outputs to the one Acorn drive OK input that does not involve the use of a relay board?

Thank you, Peter J.
Acorn step/direction/EN signals are OPEN COLLECTOR outputs. They take the signals to ground. SO, you feed your drives +5VDC, then connect STEP and DIR signals from the G214 directly to Acorn Step/Dir outputs. Start there first. Don't bother hooking up enable just yet. Just see if you can get the drive to spin your motor by jogging with CNC12. Then you can add the ENABLE wire from the drive to Acorn. You may have to invert it in Wizard.

As for your fault relay question, I think I would try using a 1N4001 blocking doiode on each fault circuit from the input. It appears to me that the drive holds the signal low when in normal and then when there is a fault, releases it to go high.

I hope this helps. As I said, wire the drive with no Enable or fault circuits just to see if you get the stepper motor to spin first. Then add the next layers.

Here is the spec manual on Acorn which describes its outputs: http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... manual.pdf

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dan M
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8df84dfbdd5-0809181120

Post by Dan M »

Did you ever get a answer or figure it out? I have the same drivers “G214” I returned my G203v drivers so I wouldn’t have to use resistors. The drivers don’t work with the acorn when wired the logical way step to step, direction to direction, common to common, enable to enable, 5v to 5v. I’ve tried everything people have suggested and it doesn’t work!! I’m pissed 😡. Any help would be great. I’m hoping it’s something simple that I can feel stupid about after I’m enlightened on what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks,
Dan
martyscncgarage

Note, I have not used the G214.
I have looked at the manual:
https://www.geckodrive.com/amfile/file/ ... uct_id/49/

Here is a screen shot of the connections:
G214.JPG
I would try and connect this drive to Acorn's headers first. Not the DB25
Connect PER the manual, initially STEP 1 through STEP 5 first
AND then Step 6 but DO NOT CONNECT ERR, FS, RESET OR ENABLE at this time.

Make sure you have Step 3 set correctly on the G214 and you have entered the value in Step/Revolution setting in CNC12 Wizard

Power up the drive's power supply FIRST not ACORN. Try and turn the stepper motor shaft. It should be locked and holding.
In Step 5 of the manual, there is a SELF TEST PUSH BUTTON. Follow the instructions and see if the motor turns.
If so, then you have the motor connected correctly to the drive.

Now power up Acorn and CNC12.
Make sure you have no errors in the CNC12 dialog box. For good measure Cycle your physical Estop button or the virtual Estop button.
Check your stepper motor shaft, it should still be locked and holding. IF so:
Try and jog the motor by pressing or clicking the axis buttons on the virtual jog panel. Make sure you are in CONTinuous not INCremental mode.

Report back.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dan M

Post by Dan M »

The micro step has me very confused, based off everything I’ve read a standard 1.8degree stepper has 200 steps per revolution as stated in the manual. The default setting in wizard is 2000. I honestly have no idea what the micro step setting should be on the drivers. I’m waiting on Geckos tech to get out of his meeting so he can clarify. Are you saying that the step/revolution is micro step pulses? Or steps per revolution?

Thanks for the help and I apologize for being frustrated.

Dan
martyscncgarage

Dan M wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:16 am The micro step has me very confused, based off everything I’ve read a standard 1.8degree stepper has 200 steps per revolution as stated in the manual. The default setting in wizard is 2000. I honestly have no idea what the micro step setting should be on the drivers. I’m waiting on Geckos tech to get out of his meeting so he can clarify. Are you saying that the step/revolution is micro step pulses? Or steps per revolution?

Thanks for the help and I apologize for being frustrated.

Dan
Dan, I dropped everything just to come in and help you. ;)
From the manual:
"STEP 3: SELECTING MICROSTEP RESOLUTION
Choosing microstep resolution will determine how many revolutions your motor moves with a given frequency. To calculate
how many pulses per revolution your motor will move you simply calculate the number of full steps per revolution by the
microstep setting. For example, a standard 1.8 degree (200 full steps per revolution) stepper motor with a G214 set to 25
microstep will require 5,000 pulses per revolution. "

So a TYPICAL stepper motor requires 200 steps to turn one revolution.
You can set the dip switches on the G214 to microstep it. So you multiply the 200 steps the typical stepper motor requires by the microstep you set on the G214. In the example above its 200*25=5000, you would set 5000 in the Wizard's Steps/Revolution Setting.

I don't know what kind of machine you are working on but if you want to roll with the Wizard default of 2000 Steps/Revolution, then set the dip switches on your G214s to 10uSTEP or 200*10=2000 so now it matches the 2000 in the Wizard Steps/Revolution.

Make sense?

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dan M

Post by Dan M »

Ok so I have done everything you said, disconnected the enable pins and I get 0 movements. Here’s some pictures maybe you can figure out what I’m doing wrong. It also only faults when the -axis is pressed. Does nothing when the positive is pressed.

Thanks again for all the help!
Attachments
A025859A-2072-4382-ADA1-A4EBC7D4EFCF.jpeg
C5968D82-B4FE-4961-916C-B4EB3EE2D299.jpeg
8DF68676-8B03-409E-9ECE-3645E00F6DAA.jpeg
FAD7745C-4DC6-477F-B68A-281D00F1F2C5.jpeg
13E0809F-A54D-49F9-AA5D-95E20E218DA1.jpeg
0E8B0EAF-B7B1-43D9-B934-F1BA306F4436.jpeg
DD6FD689-A354-4811-BD67-E0045651D2A7.jpeg
83E2118C-4C86-497B-A19C-3C54E4830399.jpeg
5340B7B3-E09A-4FE9-817A-C93B7F8598C8.jpeg