Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19C80B2D-0420180842
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn API

Post by dudleyjosh »

Is there a documented API for the Acorn for those of us that might want to play and create our own UI not dependent on Windows 10?
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn API

Post by cnckeith »

we just started developing a new way to "skin" cnc12..estimate availability fall 2018.
you can skin cnc12 at the moment but its not easy..you have to be a real programmer to do it so we are implementing software tools that will expand the skinning feature set while making it easier to create custom skins.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
dudleyjosh

Post by dudleyjosh »

Thanks for the quick response and the info. I am very impressed with the Acorn... just wish I could use NodeJS to create a platform independent UI to use with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what the updated "skinning" feature set will be.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
CNC12: Yes

Post by frijoli »

cnckeith wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 pm we just started developing a new way to "skin" cnc12..estimate availability fall 2018.
you can skin cnc12 at the moment but its not easy..you have to be a real programmer to do it so we are implementing software tools that will expand the skinning feature set while making it easier to create custom skins.
This will be HUGE for the DIY community!
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
dudleyjosh

Post by dudleyjosh »

I finally made it back to check on this... I was really hoping for something more than the "skinning" :(

I really, really like the Acorn board but the Windows 10 dependency will ultimately keep me from using it.

If there was an open API so I could build my own platform independent frontend for it I would be all over it.
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Linux....go for it
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
eng199
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by eng199 »

Gary Campbell wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:33 pm Linux....go for it
Been there, done that. I don't think you will see it again from Centroid.
dudleyjosh wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:35 pm If there was an open API so I could build my own platform independent frontend for it I would be all over it.
CNC12 software runs on Windows. It is not just a simple frontend. CNC12 would have to be platform independent for skinning to be platform independent.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

dudleyjosh wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:35 pm I finally made it back to check on this... I was really hoping for something more than the "skinning" :(

I really, really like the Acorn board but the Windows 10 dependency will ultimately keep me from using it.

If there was an open API so I could build my own platform independent frontend for it I would be all over it.
What are your concerns with the Windows 10 GUI?
Windows 10 running CNC12 is solid provided you follow the system requirements....

Sounds like you want to go with or stick with LinuxCNC?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
dudleyjosh

Post by dudleyjosh »

As an end user it just bums me out to be forced into a specific platform... especially when that platform is Windows. I guess It just seems absurd to box apps in this way with all of the excellent cross-platform dev tools available these days.

Software development has changed (improved and opened up) and not even Microsoft itself develops its own software solely for its own platform anymore. VSCode is a prime example of Microsoft leveraging open technologies and building one of the best cross-platform software dev apps ever made as a result.

The Centroid Acorn is an excellent product (I bought one to play with) and CNC12 is also an excellent product... for those who choose to deal with Windows to run it. I guess I was just hoping for a bit more flexibility for my own reasons.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

dudleyjosh wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:09 pm As an end user it just bums me out to be forced into a specific platform... especially when that platform is Windows. I guess It just seems absurd to box apps in this way with all of the excellent cross-platform dev tools available these days.

Software development has changed (improved and opened up) and not even Microsoft itself develops its own software solely for its own platform anymore. VSCode is a prime example of Microsoft leveraging open technologies and building one of the best cross-platform software dev apps ever made as a result.

The Centroid Acorn is an excellent product (I bought one to play with) and CNC12 is also an excellent product... for those who choose to deal with Windows to run it. I guess I was just hoping for a bit more flexibility for my own reasons.
Centroid can't and won't support multiple platforms. Too much effort to test every platform. They have used DOS, LINUX in the past and settled on sticking with Windows 10 for CNC12. They don't even support Windows 7 anymore with CNC12. It is what it is. Its pretty solid running under Win10.
I hope you can get used to it.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ