Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn API

Post by ShawnM »

I agree it's pretty solid on Win10. I dont even see how Win10 comes into play other than booting the machine so you can launch CNC12. You never see Win10 after that. I've been using Win7 on all my other PC's for years and my CNC PC is my first Win10 machine. I set it up exactly like Centroid recommends and it works perfect every time. I design and create g code on my office pc. I dont have my CNC PC even hooked to the internet so it wont update and create any issues. Not sure why you'd want to complicate matters with a new platform, just my 2¢.
DannyB
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900712

Post by DannyB »

dudleyjosh wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:09 pm As an end user it just bums me out to be forced into a specific platform... especially when that platform is Windows. I guess It just seems absurd to box apps in this way with all of the excellent cross-platform dev tools available these days.
As a person who has helped build a *lot* of those developer tools over the years, i think you are significantly underestimating the cost of using such tools vs the value they actually bring.
Software development has changed (improved and opened up) and not even Microsoft itself develops its own software solely for its own platform anymore.
This is not really true, actually, it does plenty of that.
VSCode is a prime example of Microsoft leveraging open technologies and building one of the best cross-platform software dev apps ever made as a result.
First, this took them forever (I'm good friends with the product managers who created vscode), and second Microsoft deliberately chooses to keep parts of VSCode closed, the same way centroid does.

The Centroid Acorn is an excellent product (I bought one to play with) and CNC12 is also an excellent product... for those who choose to deal with Windows to run it. I guess I was just hoping for a bit more flexibility for my own reasons.
That flexibility comes at significant cost, and seems *very* unlikely to provide any particular value.

In fact, if you were to ask the product managers who created VSCode, they would tell you the same thing.
dudleyjosh
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19C80B2D-0420180842

Post by dudleyjosh »

I've used VSCode to build a custom (open web standards) CNC control UI using a Raspberry Pi with a Protoneer CNC Hat (based on Arduino GRBL). This machine has been in production for over a year and it runs great all day, every day. Best of all, any computer (or iPad, etc) on the network can become the UI control either through a pre-compiled Electron app (RPi, macOS, Windows or Linux) or simply through any modern web browser. I am a single engineer / developer so I know it can be accomplished with minimal resources.

I recently discovered the Buildbotics CNC control which is very similar in nature to what I built... it isn't as robust as the Acorn at this point but I appreciate their approach of leveraging open web standards for the frontend UI. I bought a Buildbotics control to play with too and I used it to make a CNC Etch-a-Sketch with my son.

See the photos and videos at this link for reference to the custom machine & control I built for a manufacturing production need and also for the CNC Etch-a-Sketch.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SJAfGsd2VnNZ2xe37

The GRBL based controls have a simple serial command protocol... it seems like it should be straight forward to achieve the same kind of thing with the Acorn if only there was either a documented API or documented communication/command protocol for the Acorn.

I like the Acorn hardware and I'd love to use the hardware to build out some of my own ideas for a frontend for regular CNC mill & lathe work. The GRBL is fine for its intended end use but it has limitations like no backlash compensation, etc.

I understand what I am asking is probably unlikely... but one can dream :)
eng199
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by eng199 »

dudleyjosh wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:19 pm The GRBL based controls have a simple serial command protocol... it seems like it should be straight forward to achieve the same kind of thing with the Acorn if only there was either a documented API or documented communication/command protocol for the Acorn.
A large part of the processing is done on the PC. What you're proposing is breaking the system in half, then replacing the missing half with a pile of scripts. Or maybe move all the PC side G code processing down to ACORN (completely changing how ACORN works).

These are not things that are likely to happen any time soon.
DannyB
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900712

Post by DannyB »

dudleyjosh wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:19 pm I've used VSCode to build a custom (open web standards) CNC control UI using a Raspberry Pi with a Protoneer CNC Hat (based on Arduino GRBL). This machine has been in production for over a year and it runs great all day, every day. Best of all, any computer (or iPad, etc) on the network can become the UI control either through a pre-compiled Electron app (RPi, macOS, Windows or Linux) or simply through any modern web browser. I am a single engineer / developer so I know it can be accomplished with minimal resources.
While this sounds really cool (really!), 95+% of the market centroid could target are running windows, and would likely get the same value out of this if you wrote it using the C# skinning API to provide a custom windows and web accessible UI.

The effort and energy to enable the rest almost certainly would not be recouped in extra sales.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

we will publish improved c# skinning instructions for CNC12 with and examples after we update the VCP with user editable buttons.
in meantime current skinning information is contained the "CncSkinningDocumentaion" folder with each install. look in the 'cncm' (mill) or 'cnct' (lathe) folder to find it.
skinning api.PNG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
johannes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by johannes »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:03 pm we will publish improved c# skinning instructions for CNC12 with and examples after we update the VCP with user editable buttons.
in meantime current skinning information is contained the "CncSkinningDocumentaion" folder with each install. look in the 'cncm' (mill) or 'cnct' (lathe) folder to find it.

skinning api.PNG
Replying to an old post here, but is there a place to see examples of skins for CNC12? (Not talking about the VCP)
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

hello. sorry its been a long time i know, we have built several other apps since i made that post using our skin tools but we haven't built a full cnc12 skin example yet. since that post we have been busy with Acorn software feature additions, Acorn Plasma software, (the Profile manager in Acorn Plasma is an example of a new piece of software using skin tools) and now AcornSix software with lots of industrial cnc features being added and tested. We did create a "Color Picker" for CNC12 so now you can change any color in CNC12 using this simple App. This is standard feature now and is in the v4.99 AcornSix beta (v4.99 soon to be released for regular Acorn, Oak, Allin1DC and MPU11). We also wrote a PLC diagnostic input and output App which also using Centroid skinning tools. This App is started by pressing ALT i keys together at the main screen of CNC12. There is a guide that goes along with this app so you can see how its built and use that as an example. I'll post a link to the files and instructions in the next post.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

new CNC12 color picker app is located in the Utility menu of CNC12 v4.99+
colorpicker.png
example of CNC12 color changed with the color picker
darktheme.png
another example. all colors can be changed now.
cnc12 color picker 2.png
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Oh My God! It reminds me of the early days of HTML. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should ;-) I am so very glad that you didn't include flashing colors as well!
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.