Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Converting Chinese CNC Router from XHC Mach3 Motion Controller

Post by slodat »

Keith- I'm not much of a video production guy. But, I'm willing to learn! I'll make the change to the video title. Thank you for the suggestion!
[edited to add] made the change to the video titles. I posted on Instagram and have pointed a couple guys your way as well.

When I was using the "DustCollection" output type on output 1 (which is my dust PLC input), everytime I parked the machine (and I think when I manually entered gcode using F3?) it would cycle that output. So, I changed the output to "OUTPUT1". Then I use M61/M81 to control. That way there's no automagical cycling of that output. I could put an on delay timer in my dust collection PLC program, but this quickly solved the problem for now. I can't remember where I found M61/M81 associated with OUTPUT1, now that I think about it.

Once I get the wiring cleaned up, I'll do a good write up of the conversion and attempt to make a better video showing it all. There are a lot of people using that XHC control and from what I've gathered most are having problems with it. I appreciate the help!
slodat
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by slodat »

I wired in FL-/FL+ and lowered my Z onto a block of wood in an attempt to fault the drive to test that this was indeed a fault output. Well.. the drive didn’t fault and I didn’t want to regret breaking anything. Needless to say I’ve shelved it for now.

The control is controlling my spindle speed correctly. The VFD has a slow startup and shutdown ramp, so I adjusted the P4 in my post processor.

I wired in the VFD reset output to an interposing relay. I’m not clear on what that does.

In general I would like to know how to test drive/VFD fail. I’ve tested everything else as I’ve worked through. Testing and commissioning are a big part of my day job..
slodat

Post by slodat »

I’m calling this conversion done for now. When CNC12 v4.12 comes out I’ll get the gantry squaring working. The parts arrived for my chip (plastic and aluminum) blower arrived, so I’ll add that soon and wire the solenoid valve to an output via an interposing relay. My thought process is if the solenoid inductive kick takes out a relay, if rather it be an external relay. I wish I had the drive fault outputs working.. not sure what the deal is there. The Centroid control is a dream compared to Mach3 on the unreliable import motion comptroller.

I did move the Y axis slave to the axis 4 outputs and enabled 4 slaved to 2 for the gantry. No issues there. I’ll install proximity switch for the other side of the gantry when it arrives so I’m ready for the next software release.

I reinstalled some of the original wire gutter to clean things up a little. I picked up a new labeler that will print the shrink sleeve labels. It works great.

Control cabinet after:

Operator station:

martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Great job. I think you will get lots of use out of the router with the Centroid Control and software.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
slodat

Post by slodat »

Thank you for your help and videos, Marty!

It is a completely different machine. I have done so much with Intercon already. It was a huge part of what was missing with Mach3. The reliability is the biggest thing I've gained though. Very happy with the machine. So much so that I think I'm about to order a milling machine to convert to Acorn..
cbb1962
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576

Post by cbb1962 »

Slodat,

I have a 2.2KW version of the same Fuling VFD you are using. I connected it to the Acorn following the Generic VFD Diagram, but I can't get it to spin. Do you have a wiring diagram for your setup and what, if anything, you changed on the VFD?

Thanks
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...
cbb1962
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576

Post by cbb1962 »

I got it.
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...
RouxAU
CNC Control System Serial Number: Patiently waiting for at least another 5 minutes :)
CNC11: Yes

Post by RouxAU »

Hi slodat (and everyone else).
I think I'll be rereading this thread over a few times.
I have a chinese built 1200 x 1200 with a very similar setup to yours.
It has an older version of the XHC , Fuling vsd, Yako 2608h drivers.
The wiring looks more complicated than yours for some reason but that might be because of my missing skills when it comes to electronics.

The XHC has messed up more material than anything else in my shop (including me) and now it is dead.
I've built the new win 10 PC over the weekend and now I'm eagerly awaiting my newly ordered acorn.
I'm excited to see what the machine can really do but anxious about the process. I really am illiterate when it comes to electronics :oops:

slodat

Post by slodat »

Mounted this slick wireless tool touch off probe on the router. Makes tool changes a lot faster. The tool change macro automatically measures each tool to this probe and records the offset to material surface. I only have to measure work piece height once (with a moveable probe) and this probe allows the (custom) M6 macro to do the rest.

slodat

Post by slodat »

Modified the vacuum table of the cnc router yesterday. The mdf spoil board has been curling up and making it a hassle to get sucked down when I go to use the machine. When the company I bought it from was here setting up the machine I asked them what they do to hold the spoil board down to the table. They suggested wood screws into the vacuum table. Needless to say this project has been on the back of my mind for coming on three years.

First I had to draw the machine bed in cad. This went well considering I didn’t do any probing. I added brass threaded inserts to the vacuum table so I can bolt the spoil board down. While I was at it I switched to using strips so the t-tracks are exposed for clamping. Last thing was a X0 Y0 fence to make setups quicker.

I’m thinking I’ll look into getting probing working soon.

Today I reworked the fence a bit. I didn’t realize until after I made the first fence that the Y axis section doesn’t have an attachment point at one end because the X axis section is using that bolt. And, I needed to clear out the X axis fence section so clamps would slide in t-tracks.

Yesterday’s attempt.. dowel.

Today’s better solution. Domino. Worked out well.

This shows how this fence is used. Makes for quick setup most of the time.

New fence parts bolted down. Dry fit domino between X and Y in the corner.

Outside profile and surfacing done on the machine.

Fun project. Learned a lot. And, the spoil board no longer fights me when I start the vacuum pumps.

I need to get my Drewtronics probe working now!