Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Converting CNC Router from XHC Mach3 Motion Controller

Post by slodat »

Once I got everything mounted I started bringing things up one at a time. I used the Leadshine schematic and configuration in the wizard because my Yako drives needed the same 5vdc for step and direction. First I got the spindle output and analog signal working. Then got the axis moving one at a time. I currently have the the Y axis (table length travel) stepper inputs ganged up on axis output 2 with reverse polarity on the motor A+/A- because this is how it was setup on the old control. The gantry is really beefy and there’s only one home switch on that axis. It’s fine for now. I’ll check it square to the gantry and see if it needs to be changed at some point.

Once I got the axis moving in the correct directions, I dialed in the homing. Then got the axis close to calibrated. They are within 0.001” on my cheap dial indicator. I’ll get out a Starett and tweak it as close as possible today. Then I set travel limits and called it a night at 1am.

I am beyond impressed with the Acorn system. CNC12 is a treat to use. Things make sense. It has not hiccuped even once.

This morning I’m going to get the tool height touchoff working. This is something I am really excited about having and ultimately the impetus to me finding Acorn in the first place (I couldn’t get Gerry’s 2010 Mach3 screenset to work with the XHC motion controller.)
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Right on! thanks for posting the update, post more photos, we'd all like to see your progress.
Fyi tool touch off setup is going to become even easier as we have added the tool touch off setup into the wizard for the upcoming release.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
slodat

Post by slodat »

cnckeith wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 am Right on! thanks for posting the update, post more photos, we'd all like to see your progress.
Fyi tool touch off setup is going to become even easier as we have added the tool touch off setup into the wizard for the upcoming release.
Thanks for the encouragement! I was beginning to wonder if I was posting too much ;)

Keith- is there any issue with my ganged Y axis setup I may need to be thinking about? Any word on when we’ll see the next software release? Thanks for your help!!
slodat

Re: Converting Chinese CNC Router from XHC Mach3 Motion Controller

Post by slodat »

Getting close. All that’s left to wire is axis and spindle drive failure circuit. Went ahead and used interposing relays for the spindle drive outputs so I’m not commingling the dc buses of the control and the VFD. Dust collection output(1) controlling the dust PLC input with M35/M36. Still working on the tool check stuff.

Having an issue with spindle speed. I have spindle speed setup at 0 & 18,000. But 100% speed is 150hz (1/2 speed, 9,000 rpm indicated in CNC12).
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1650

Verify and Tune the VFD so that the commanded RPM matches the actual RPM.
1. Enter in the desired maximum spindle speed in the Wizard and write settings to CNC config.
2. Following the instructions in the inverter manual and set the inverter maximum frequency to 120hz.
3. Using the Virtuial Control Panel switch to MANUAL SPINDLE MODE and turn the SPINDLE Speed OVERRIDE all
the way down.
4. Turn the spindle on CW and make sure it is turning the correct direction. If it is turning the wrong direction correct
this by turning off power and swapping 2 legs of the 3 phase cable between the inverter and the motor.
5. Repeat step 3 and 4. 6. Monitor the actual spindle speed on the screen or use a tachometer and slowly increase
the SPINDLE OVERRIDE until the correct maximum spindle speed is reached. If the maximum speed cannot be
reached turn the spindle off and restart at step 2 with a higher maximum frequency.
7. Write down the actual frequency that the inverter is outputting (from the control panel on the front inverter) and
then turn off the spindle.
8. Then following the instructions in the inverter manual set the inverter maximum frequency to the frequency in step
recorded in step 7.
9. Using the VCP turn on AUTO SPINDLE MODE; and with the Spindle speed OVERRIDE at 100%, in MDI turn on
the spindle at 640 RPM (use this command “M3 S640”) Now with the spindle running. Adjust the maximum
frequency of the VFD so the actual spindle speed is within 1 rpm of 640 RPM.
10. Spot check the spindle speed across the full speed range commanded vs. acutal reported by the spindle encoder.
11. It is more critical for the spindle speed to be exact at lower speeds and it is normal for the actual spindle speed to
be correct at low speeds and up to 50 rpm slower at max rpm then the commanded speed.
12. If there is a multi-range spindle see the operating manual for setting up parameters 65-67
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
slodat

Post by slodat »

I have to say this whole project has been really exciting! I got all three axis calibration to under .0005. I’ll run through the ball screw compensation at some point because I have about .0015 on my Z ball screw. I have the control turning my dust PLC input on/off with M35/M36 so I think I need to add that to my post processor, and an Aux screen button.

I’m going to make an air blower similar to what mills have with coolant to get plastic and aluminum chips of of the cut path. I have that pretty well figured out.

I have to say it will be a lot better machine. The tool height touch-off is working really well. I want to get something going like Gary’s.

Costs:
  • Acorn 325
  • Mill Pro license 139
  • Dell Optiplex 3050 All-in-one touchscreen, 512gb SSD, 4Gb RAM $620 through Dell Outlet
  • Additional 8gb RAM $95 (I wanted the RAM. 4 is what they recommend as minimum.)
  • Misc electronics- I bought three relay boards. Interposing relays for axis drive failure(4), VFD failure(1), VFD I/O(4); some DIN rail terminal boards and mount for the relay boards - ~$75 on Amazon.
Well worth the expense. All I have left to wire is drive and VFD failure stuff. Then to test them.
slodat

Post by slodat »

Keith,
To clairify, my spindle speed is 50% rated nameplate speed/frequency when I press the white 100% button in the manual control section of the control panel. An M3 S18000 gets me 300hz/18,000 rpm. I’m thinking I may not be understanding how the control panel button works. The VFD tracks through its range as well as the analog output. It’s dead on.

Where do I look to assign/change the Aux buttons?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

http://www.centroidcnc.com/cnc_techbulletin.html

Tb300 talks about it

take a look at Chapter 13 in cnc11 operator manual, the m code section. page 13-8
specifically M94 and M95 these two m codes control outputs
you can study the existing mcodes for Mist M07 and Flood M08 On and M09 off.. to see how they work..modify and assign them to an Aux key etc.. to get what you need. be sure to make a report.zip file as you go.. so if you ever have to reinstall cnc12 (or if you dig yourself a hole) you can "restore" the latest report and get back all your custom setup in seconds. make a copy of the C:\CNCM directory as well as a whole backup. store on another computer.
slodat

Post by slodat »

Keith, Gary, Marty - Thank you for your help! I'm progressing!

I made a spoil board surfacing program in Intercon. For the life of me I can't figure out how to add an M61 after my M6 in Intercon. I have been adding it after the fact in Notepad++. Spoil board surfacing went well. I bumped federate up to 160% (800ipm) for the majority of it.

Spoilboard surfacing @ 500ipm:
https://youtu.be/RdSkF02YX4M

Spoilboard surfacing @ 800ipm:
https://youtu.be/_lXa0tJp1N0

I wired in the FL+/FL-, jogged the Z down onto a 2x4 and tried to get the drive fault. I was gentle with it, and the drive didn't fault. I decided I didn't want to break anything trying to test the drive fault when I'm not 100% certain that's how the drive functions..
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

nice, thanks for posting videos.
what's the function of M61?
you can always insert G and M codes into conversational using Intercon. F3 Insert, F6 Other, F6 M&G Code

would be nice to add more key word descriptors to the video titles so other Youtubers can find them. here is suggestion of keywords to add "Acorn CNC Router Retrofit" to Spoilboard Surfacing 800 ipm so new Title would be "Acorn CNC Router Retrofit, Spoilboard Surfacing 800 ipm"