Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269931CF1-0307180710
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

SOLVED - Sunfar_C300 VFD Connection - No Reverse

Post by Crosshatch »

Hi everyone, name is Jason and this is my first topic on the board. Made the move to switch to Acorn from a good working version of Mach3 on a Novakon Torus Pro with Servos with Maxsine EP1 Servo Drivers.

To start, the 220 VAC Spindle is powered by a SUNFAR C300 VFD. I attached a schematic of how my Acorn is wired to the VFD. I followed one of the PDF's labeled "ACORN_rev3 STANDARD CONNECTIONS" which has the connections to the VFD as I have made. In the schematic you will find a snippet from the VFD's manual showing the terminal locations/ descriptions.

In the current configuration, my spindle rotates through MDI or manual control using a touchscreen. Reverse does not work however, no matter how it is programmed. I also replaced the wire for the "OC5" - "REV" connection, if it was a wire issue, it was not.

The VFD was used as mentioned on a MACH3 configuration and reverse was not an issue. The current wire configuration to Acorn was made without any additional relays. As I searched the forum, I realized some VFD's require the relay(s) interface to prevent damage to Acorn. I still am unsure as to how to wire and control the relays in order to not damage Acorn (unless my setup is ok), but none the less, I cannot reverse the spindle in my current configuration. Nothing is wired to "IN5" or VFD Fault.

In the attachment for the Schematic, you will see NOTE 1. The Sunfar C300 has one GND location, the Analog signal (10 vdc +/-) worked to rotate the spindle clockwise regardless of the "AN" GND connection to the VFD. With GND from the VFD already connected to "COM" between "OC5" - "OC4" , the analog signal is already grounded with the VFD because it has ground on another Acorn GND location (my understanding).

Additionally, my VFD had a programmed frequency of 200 Hz. I lowered it to 120 HZ to tune in the correct VFD RPM's to match Acorn's RPM, they are hundreds of RPM away so I need to tune parameters ( I eventually stepped away as I incremented in +10 Hz from the 120 Hz when really no changes except top end max out was affected.

Please see my attachments below along with the Sunfar C300 manual, I am trying to do this logically without damaging everything I have done to get to this point. Sorry for the large pictures.
SUNFAR_C300.pdf
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 126 times

Regards,

-Crosshatch
Last edited by Crosshatch on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Sunfar_C300 VFD Connection - No Reverse

Post by martyscncgarage »

Have you swapped wires at OC4 and OC5 to see if the VFD will run in reverse? When you call say an M3 S1000?
Just as a test.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Crosshatch

Post by Crosshatch »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:30 am Have you swapped wires at OC4 and OC5 to see if the VFD will run in reverse? When you call say an M3 S1000?
Just as a test.
I have not, but that was on my list of things to do.

Regards,

Jason
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

What is parameter 0.5 set to? What happens if you install a jumper between the GND and REV terminals of the VFD?
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Looking more closely at that manual, I am assuming that parameter 0.4 is set to 1, correct? Parameter 0.6 seems really odd to me and out of curiosity, what is it set to?
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Crosshatch

Post by Crosshatch »

Centroid_Tech wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:49 pm What is parameter 0.5 set to? What happens if you install a jumper between the GND and REV terminals of the VFD?
I'm glad you brought this up, in fact both your posts bring up exactly what I want to test and verify.

I have to check all three. I was eager to find out what F0.5 was set to and was going to jump REV amd GND, while removing FWD in case it's grounded.

Think we are on the same page, will confirm my settings.

Regards,

Jason
Crosshatch

Post by Crosshatch »

SOLVED

As suspected, the setting F0.5 was set to "1", changing to -"0"- enabled a working reverse both in MDI and manual adjustment. So what worked on Mach3 as "1" did not work with Acorn which should be set to "0".

Now, the Spindle needs tuning to match the RPM. I also did not need the GND from the Analog pin as the COM near OC5 was plugged into the VFD already making the GND connection to Acorn. The Spindle did increase with some RPM when the Positive (+) wire was touched by hand, probably best to shield that one.

Please see attachment 1, 2 & 3 which describe the change, visually, sorry for the large pictures again.

The rest of the parameters were as followed before the single change was made:

F0.4 : "0001"
F0.5 : " 1"
F0.6 : "0000"

-Crosshatch
CivilCNC
CNC Control System Serial Number: will obtain
CNC11: No

Post by CivilCNC »

Crosshatch wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:29 pm SOLVED

As suspected, the setting F0.5 was set to "1", changing to -"0"- enabled a working reverse both in MDI and manual adjustment. So what worked on Mach3 as "1" did not work with Acorn which should be set to "0".

Now, the Spindle needs tuning to match the RPM. I also did not need the GND from the Analog pin as the COM near OC5 was plugged into the VFD already making the GND connection to Acorn. The Spindle did increase with some RPM when the Positive (+) wire was touched by hand, probably best to shield that one.

Please see attachment 1, 2 & 3 which describe the change, visually, sorry for the large pictures again.

The rest of the parameters were as followed before the single change was made:

F0.4 : "0001"
F0.5 : " 1"
F0.6 : "0000"

-Crosshatch
Thanks for posting this! This is fantastic information as I have the exact same setup as you and I am switching over to acorn in the near future.

_JAKE
Crosshatch

Re: SOLVED - Sunfar_C300 VFD Connection - No Reverse

Post by Crosshatch »

So over the weekend, I finally upgraded CNC12 to V4.80 from the original version shipped with Acorn in 2018.

The wizard feature has a toggle for 0-5 VDC (not in previous versions) so this has really improved my Spindle operation.

My question, when I press "100"% for the Spindle, why does it only go to half the maximum RPM of 6k? With "100"%, it goes to 3k RPM only. I can of course increase this going to 6k but why doesn't it go to 6k vs 3k?

Thanks all,

Jason
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC11: No

Re: SOLVED - Sunfar_C300 VFD Connection - No Reverse

Post by tblough »

That is correct operation. 100% is 1/2 of max in manual or 100% of programmed in auto.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.