Fourth axis and power problem (resolved with photos)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

dandonegan
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900460
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Fourth axis and power problem (resolved with photos)

Post by dandonegan »

I have successfully run the bench test portion of the set up.

Fourth axis problem.

I then installed the board into my existing CNC router with just the motors and E stop switch. I was able to configure the first three motors (X Y Z) with no problem. The setup wizard would not allow me to enable the fourth axis on the axis configuration page. I would click enable save the settings to the board but when I went back and checked it was again not selected. I have the fourth axis assigned to W in the primary system calibration page " Tab 1".

Power problem.

After taking a break from the configuration for a few hours last night, I went back down to the machine and the board would not power up when I turned on the power " No Lights". When I removed the step and directional wires from the board and cycle the power it powered up. Looking for suggestions why it would work for approximately two hours and then decide not to power up.

Geco 201X drives.
CNC router parts 4848 router table
Formally controlled by Ethernet smooth Stepper, PMDX 126, Mach 3

Dan
martyscncgarage
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Fourth axis and power problem

Post by martyscncgarage »

Dan,
When you had no power, did you check for 24vdc at Acorn's power input terminals?
Are you using the Meanwell power supply that came with Acorn? Was its power light on?

Assuming you checked power to Acorn and from the Meanwell power supply, I would reconnect one drive at a time to see if the problem recurs. What power supply are you using to power the Gecko 201's? Were you able to move X, Y, Z axis?

Can you please post pictures of the control?

Also please attach a report from CNC12 for Centroid support staff to review. I'm sure they will chime in soon once you upload the report and some pictures of your control setup and help answer the 4th axis issue.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Press F1 Setup from the machine screen.
Does is say Acorn Free or Acorn Pro?

Acorn Free = 3 axis control
Acorn Pro = 4 axis control
Acorn Ultimate also is 4 axis control

Please always include a current report.zip file so we can 'see' the cnc configuration setup and comment on your question.,
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
dandonegan

Post by dandonegan »

Power Problem

I have determined what is causing the power problem. It appears that when I turn on the main power to the system the 5 V power supply is powering up slightly quicker than the 24 V power supply. This causes the board to not boot up. If I disconnect the 5 V power supply and start the board it starts every time. I can then apply the 5 V power to the board and get drive power.

I am using the centroid supplied 24 V power supply. The five a power supply is a MEAN WELL RS-25-5 AC to DC Power Supply, Single Output, 5V, 5 Amp, 25W. please see attached photos for wiring specifics. Not sure if the board can be programmed to overcome this issue or do I need to put some sort of time delay relay on my 5 V power supply?

Fourth axis problem

When I select F1 from the main screen it shows that I am in Pro mode. There is a photo attached showing this main screen. I can edit every field in the setup wizard except the fourth axis check boxes. Last night I completely removed all of the Centroid software and reloaded. I am getting the same result after reloading. The fourth axis check boxes for step and direction are selected and I cannot deselect them. The check box to enable is not selected and I cannot select that.

The fourth axis on this machine will need to be slaved to the X axis as it is a moving gantry router.

On a side note it would be nice to add a checkbox into the setup wizard to hide the fourth axis DRO on the main page for situations such as mine where the axis is slaved to the X axis.

Link to photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ATAf5ryHbajJHCps1
Attachments
report_985DAD48805C-0926170119_2017-10-09_17-14-26.zip
(131.82 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

number of things going on here quickest way is to install team viewer and pm me the ID and pass. here is how. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=973
would be great to have speakers and a mic connected to the cncpc for the teamviwer session a USB headset is the easiest way to accomplish that.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
dandonegan

Post by dandonegan »

Keith,

Thanks for the help that you and Scott provided me on team viewer. Everything is working terrific now. I installed a time delay relay with the 24 V coil on it to put a three second pause between the time the 24 V power supply turns on and the 5 V power supply turns on. Automation Direct part number
ST7P-2DE3T-ADC. This solves my startup issue with the gecko 201X drives.

dan
dandonegan

Post by dandonegan »

cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Dan, thanks for posting photos of the machine. and the info on the delay relay. looks great! -Keith
20171012_185922.jpg
20171012_185837.jpg
20171012_185822.jpg
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Re: Fourth axis and power problem (resolved with photos)

Post by martyscncgarage »

For everyone's benefit, can you summarize what were the issues and what resolved them?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith

Re: Fourth axis and power problem (resolved with photos)

Post by cnckeith »

Axis pairing was not setup properly...we set up access pairing using the wizard. (and we have made it easier to set up pairing with less chance of mistakes in the latest version about the release) and for some reason the 5 volt dc gecko drive power supply turning on at the same time as the 24-volt logic power was causing the acorn not to boot every once in awhile. So simple solution was to put the 3 second timer on the 5 volt supply so when you turn the system on... 24 volts turns on first Acorn boots and then... three seconds later the five volts turns on for the gecko Drives and everything works great.