Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Best method to wire up Teknic Clearpath MCPV or MCVC to Acorn

Post by friolator »

I'm using a Teknic MCPV motor for a lathe spindle. I also have an MCVC but I think they're functionally equivalent for my purposes. This is not the same as an SDSK motor that takes pulse and direction signals.

I have read through this thread at least 5 times: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6234 -- it describes how to use the PWM output of Acorn to control the spindle speed and direction. It seems the downside is that you need to modify the cable to the relay board to do so.

Teknic recommends using a 0-10V -> PWM board. I happen to have one of these already so that's an option. But looking at the Clearpath manual it's not obvious to me how you control direction this way. There is an input A and an Input B for the Clearpath, and it seems the PWM signal goes into one of them. But how is the direction controlled in this setup? Does Acorn set the signal on that cable to High or Low to indicate a direction, and then I have to set something up in Teknic's MSP application to respond accordingly to that input?
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Best method to wire up Teknic Clearpath MCPV or MCVC to Acorn

Post by cnckeith »

have you asked Teknic? i hear they are good with support.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
friolator
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Best method to wire up Teknic Clearpath MCPV or MCVC to Acorn

Post by friolator »

Yes. They say the only way to do it is with the voltage->PWM converter, either the one they sell or another. But others have wired it directly into the Acorn's DB25 connector, with success.

Since I have a voltage to PWM converter board that meets Teknic's specs I'll probably cram that into the box and make it work. it's more wiring, more stuff though. I'd prefer to keep it as simple as possible, but I don't really want to have to modify the relay board cable as described in that thread.

I got everything turned on and planned to set up the Teknic motor in MSP to see if that's how I configure the second input signal from the Acorn (for direction handling), but of course, I don't have a USB cable long enough to reach the motor. So now I have to wait (again) for another morning Amazon shipment. Feels like I'm never going to finish this project!