Wizard and initial motor bench testing (closed)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Wizard and initial motor bench testing

Post by martyscncgarage »

Again, when you enter and save the values, exit and re-enter the Wizard, are the values still in the Wizard?

Since you have no limit switches, then use simple home, not home to switches for your testing.

Shut both Acorn and CNC PC down. Restart both. When CNC12 is up, press Start, that will set home. Now jog to the opposite end. CNC12 should stop when you hit the value you set.

Again, once you have powered up Acorn and homed CNC12, you can shut down the PC and restart it, you won't have to re-home since Acorn is still powered up.

Acorn/CNC12 remembers the last part zero, until you set a new part Zero. Then that is saved.

Did you home and press Alt-D like I suggested? Alt-D will show you machine position on the DROs.

I've been a beta tester now for a year and have not seen what you are describing. Keith is going to ask you to post a report so he can look at it. I suspect you are not setting something right when you setup your soft limits.

Take a picture of that Wizard screen and post here.
What kind of machine are you working with?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ScotY
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ScotY »

I'll have to double check all the things you've asked about. I know for sure that the settings changed in the wizard will be there after exiting and coming back to it. I also know for sure that the limits won't actually change until rebooting Acorn. I tried both of these things multiple times and, like I mentioned, yesterday I got a message on two occasions that told me I needed to cycle the power to the Acorn because a change had been made. Wish I had taken a picture of that.

Makes sense about not having to re-home because Acorn is still powered up when exiting/restarting CNC12...didn't think of it that way.

The machine is an X2 mini mill with Clearpath motors.
martyscncgarage

Here is a Wizard screen shot of my D&M4 benchtop mill. It has no home/limit switches.

Change your settings to Simple Home, Homing Direction is ignored because CNC12 will not move the axis to Home it, I jog the axis to their home position first, but technically X and Y should should be set to -M91, Z to +M92. (In my homing situation).

Try these axis values to test or compare with your settings. Write the settings in the Wizard to save, power down ACORN and CNC PC restart both, and when CNC12 comes up, simply press cycle start to set home. (You might press Alt-D so you see the machine position in the DROs and press again to toggle back to part position) Then jog Z in the negative direction and see where it stops. Then jog X&Y in the positive direction and see where they stop. Should be the values set in soft limits below the Homing Direction fields.

I am assuming you are bench testing and not connected to your machine. Hope this example helps?
(I'm away from home and trying to do this from my cell phone to be somewhat helpful)
Marty
Attachments
IMG_20170925_124408661.jpg
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Here is a screen shot of my DM2400 with home limit switches on Z+, X- and Y-.
Attachments
IMG_20171003_062212195.jpg
Mesa, AZ
ScotY
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ScotY »

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the help. It seems to be working normally now. No idea what I was doing but I'm sure it was operator error. :lol:

Now to get the rest of the system wired up and read the manual...