Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Serious Issues with existing build <resolved>

Post by ben@cartee1.com »

I have a working machine that today went berserk.

I have had this machine for several years and it was converted from the old Bridgeport controls to another CNC kit. That one proved not to be ideal so I decided to try The Acorn board. It has been operational and running jobs since last fall with 0 issues.

Today I was running a program to drill a series of holes...It started out ok, then the x-axis reversed and it started going the wrong way...I cycled the machine and redid the post from Fusion 360, loaded it and restarted the prog...qll went fine...did a tool change from spot to drill and it appeared to work, but the drill operation was not lining up to the spot holes...stopped and stepped back for a minute...ok decided to start over. so grabbed the MPG and spun the x axis back and it was running backward...so I spun the other way and it went the same direction...tried both directions on the keyboard and it did the same thing. It would only travel in the pos x direction...all the way to the limit switch...I manually backed it up using the clearpath MSP software and a direct USB link to the servo..everything seemed to go fine using the direct link. Shut down everything and restarted...as soon as the acorn board powered up THE X AXIS STARTED TO MOVE in the pos direction...I hit the estop and nothing so switched off the power.
I pulled out all 3 axis connectors to the servos and restarted and all powered up but no axis moved...
Everything looks fine with the board...got a hearbeat and all that stuff and it will boot up with no obvious issues, other than and out of control x-axis.

So it seems like I have a fault in the Centroid Acord board, or the Clearpath adapter card, or both.
Looking for some troubleshooting advice.

I have a Bridgeport Boss
Clearpath servos for X, Y and Z axis
C86ACCP Clearpath Connector Board for the Acorn Controller
Pro License
Centroid MPG
Attachments
report_80F5B5B93912-0202236921_2024-04-21_15-42-08.zip
(877.52 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
grossmsj
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: Serious Issues with existing build

Post by grossmsj »

Sounds like your 'step' is only going in one direction. I had this happen to me and I replaced the drive for that axis. Problem was solved.
But it could be that you just have a bad connection there. Could try re-seating the connections first and see if that fixes it.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I agree with Scott, sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Go through EVERY screw terminal on EVERY board and check each connection and re-tighten it.

Since these are Clearpath you obviously cant swap the driver. :D
ben@cartee1.com
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Reading from the replies so far. Not ruling out the x axis bud did a little test this am and the results were interesting but not as decisive as I hoped.
I decided to switch the X and Y axis connectors at the Clearpath board...
1) Test One x, y and z plugged into the correct axis socket. Power up, Drive x immediately runs in + dir/
2) Test Two Pull x and y axis and place x axis in y socket on board, leaving y unplugged. Power up, No movement in the x axis. (What I expected if the boards are suspect).
3) Test Three. Plug y axis in to x socket. Power up. Drive X immediately runs in + dir. NOT Y as I suspected based on test 2
OK,If this is a x axis issue...why would it do that?

OK, since the drive itself, under power (and disconnected from Acorn) does not behave like this...and follows commands from the USB to the drive, I'm going to focus on the x drive cable next. Also see if Cleapath has any diagnostic routines.
Along with checking all the other connections as Shawn suggested.

Thanks, and please comment if anyone else has suggestions..

Ben
centroid467
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

Is it possible that the Clearpath internal hard stop homing was accidentally enabled?
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

This behavior can still be a loose connection on the X axis and not necessarily a bad board. And since this is a mill I presume is there any chance that some fine, metal shavings got in the enclosure? Blow off the boards with some air when they are powered down. I dont use the C86 boards as they are just not needed and introduce another failure point so I dont know what on that could cause this issue other than, again, a loose connection.

Ring out the cables with a multimeter and check for end to end continuity on each conductor. I have heard of their cables failing from multiple users and another reason I make my own cut to length.
ben@cartee1.com

Ok, finally got a few minutes away from my other 2 jobs (Paying for all this, and kids) to go over this.
I tested the CP x axis cable and it seems to be ok..since I terminated one end myself, and had some issues overcrimping, I was betting on a open circuit there but I got tone on all 8.
YES to centroid467..although not the central issue, when I manually moved the axis I must have clicked on the auto homing..fixed and Thanks!
Shawn, I was not inclined to think it was a loose terminal, but I did a tug test and found 2 commons that were holding on by a ' x hair'. That might have been the trouble. I have not blown the boards off yet..the box is pretty tight but still may have some artifacts left over from my build that settled to the bottom...I want to police those up before I start blasting air in there.

Powered up...homed ok, and moved around.
I'll need to do some work to reset this and the running the job again, but I think we made progress.

Thanks for the advice! and hopefully I can get a proper test done before tomorrow.

Ben
centroid467
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

Alright, glad you're making progress!
ben@cartee1.com

Full test this afternoon. Everything worked as it should.

Thanks all!