Board standoffs ?and my drivers arent listed?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

bertieboy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Board standoffs ?and my drivers arent listed?

Post by bertieboy »

CL57T vs CL57Y . I looked in the schematics and theres only a wiring diagram for the CL57Y driver..... i have what is the newer CL57T driver. Same wiring? Or did i miss something? I hope i can run them. Bought as package with closed loop nema 23 ..3nm steepers to retrofit my cnc plasma table.
I watched lots if vids and will refer my centroid manual for layout (thc in seperate box etc) my other main question is......
I have proper 316 stainless steel electrical inclosures with steel backing board inside. Now, what standoffs do i run for each of the centroid boards? Are the standoffs steel and earth the board to the backing plate and hence, enclosure?..same for drivers and power supplies?. or you want them all isolated from that detachable 2mm steel backing plate/board that bolts into the inclousure ? Im not fimilar with mounting boards, never done it, and yes i watched, read, researched but no mention of standoffs length, material, isolated or not etc... thanks again and i will make a blog thingy here to show my progression. I know they are cheap and chinese but im in Australia and clearpaths are out of my league. Cheers and thanks for any info 👍🏻 oh, ive got all my centroid boards and black thc board etc all waiting, so its layout time! Im pumped !
Attachments
67221DD4-8D00-4091-8A94-5C7038BCCA85.jpeg
EA90E97F-90F3-4D00-8067-7540C8062887.jpeg
bertieboy

Re: Board standoffs ?and my drivers arent listed?

Post by bertieboy »

anyone?
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

You can run those drives on Acorn. You can try to wire them up the same as the Y series drive but if it were me I would wire them to the DB25 using a breakout board for more reliable operation. I’d wire them like the CL86T diagram. Just start with ONE drive and ONLY wire up the PUL and DIR terminals using 5V. Make sure the switch at the top of the drive is set to 5V. Power up the drive and see if it locks. If it does you don’t won’t need the ENA connected. Set the drives to either 1600 or 3200 pulses per/rev and set Acorn the same way. Let us know if you get movement.Also set the step rate in the wizard to 100,000 for those drives.

As for the enclosure, mount the PCB components with metal standoffs to the backplane. Mount any other component directly to the metal backplane. You want to ground everything together and then bolt a ground wire to the backplane (if it’s a proper cabinet the backplane should have a ground lug on it somewhere) and ground that to your ground bus bar. No plastic ANYTHING on the backplane.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Be sure and follow the spacing requirements for the RX and TX boards in the manual. And as requested already by Joey start a Google album and take pics of your layout and wiring so we can see everything you see and help you. Post a link to that album here.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I also see that you asked this same question in the plasma forum, there’s no need to ask the same question twice in different topics, it only creates confusion to those trying to follow your build and for those that reply.
bertieboy

Post by bertieboy »

Thanks so much for your input. Im out shopping atm in australia, I will leave a more detailed response when I return and will start a build log {well wiring log} now that I have everything I need. ive yet to get gearboxes but they are screw in fitup, All bench testing first. and yes they are proper stainless electrical cabinets {big and little one for tx board] with lugs on backing boards. So even though its plasma, I will leave my thread build here?.
Thanks for your time mate great stuff
bertieboy

Post by bertieboy »

ShawnM wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:50 am You can run those drives on Acorn. You can try to wire them up the same as the Y series drive but if it were me I would wire them to the DB25 using a breakout board for more reliable operation. I’d wire them like the CL86T diagram. Just start with ONE drive and ONLY wire up the PUL and DIR terminals using 5V. Make sure the switch at the top of the drive is set to 5V. Power up the drive and see if it locks. If it does you don’t won’t need the ENA connected. Set the drives to either 1600 or 3200 pulses per/rev and set Acorn the same way. Let us know if you get movement.Also set the step rate in the wizard to 100,000 for those drives.

As for the enclosure, mount the PCB components with metal standoffs to the backplane. Mount any other component directly to the metal backplane. You want to ground everything together and then bolt a ground wire to the backplane (if it’s a proper cabinet the backplane should have a ground lug on it somewhere) and ground that to your ground bus bar. No plastic ANYTHING on the backplane.
Im a newbie sort off, so why would wiring the drivers to the DB25 using a breakout board be better and whats the ENA? thanks in advance. Im reading up on the way to post a build too cheers
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

db25 is for stepper drives

screw terminal are for AC Servo drives.

ENA is enable signal. which enables the drives. (tells it to power the motors)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
bertieboy

Post by bertieboy »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 am db25 is for stepper drives

i think i found what he meant

bertieboy

Post by bertieboy »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 am db25 is for stepper drives

thanks i will investigate