New install - CNC12 (resolved, follow the video)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: New install - CNC12 (resolved)

Post by cnckeith »

hello.
you got the error messages because you didn't follow the instructions.:-)
please follow these instructional videos
here is a link to the quick start videos page. please follow these videos step by step in order.
http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... guide.html
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes

Re: New install - CNC12

Post by martyscncgarage »

ScotY wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:04 am Hi Marty,

I was thinking about building one of these:
https://techbuyersguru.com/500-home-off ... x-pc-build
I don't know much about computers but it sounds really nice.

I'll be using the Acorn on a Sieg mini mill...nothing too exciting. I also have a mini lathe that runs on a Smoothstepper and Mach3...thankfully just the demo software. Just finished the lathe build recently and now working on the mill. That's why I need 2 motion controllers. I'm new to all this stuff so it would be nice to have to learn just one system. And Mach is a huge frustration for me...so many things don't make sense and it seems very cumbersome, from what little I've learned about it so far. I've been browsing the Acorn manual and while some things are confusing, most of it makes sense.
As long as it meets Centroid's minimum PC requirements you should be ok:
http://www.centroidcnc.com/cnc_pc_perfo ... ments.html
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ScotY
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ScotY »

I followed most of the instructions. :lol: For me, I think the main problem was because I had a Smoothstepper installed on the PC and it had already modified the LAN IP address. I did have the Acorn plugged directly into the PC. I am going to do a uninstall/reinstall CNC12 today.

That PC I linked to has a single thread benchmark around 2000 and, as far as I can tell, meets the requirements for a CNCPC. I plan to order that kit today, along with a Asus 19" touchscreen. There goes my hobby budget! :shock:
martyscncgarage

ScotY wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:33 pm I followed most of the instructions. :lol: For me, I think the main problem was because I had a Smoothstepper installed on the PC and it had already modified the LAN IP address. I did have the Acorn plugged directly into the PC. I am going to do a uninstall/reinstall CNC12 today.

That PC I linked to has a single thread benchmark around 2000 and, as far as I can tell, meets the requirements for a CNCPC. I plan to order that kit today, along with a Asus 19" touchscreen. There goes my hobby budget! :shock:
Yeah, I know the feeling. But having a dedicated PC for the machine and CNC12/ACORN is the way to go. Much less headaches!
Good luck with your project\, be sure to post pictures/video! We want to see what people are doing with Acorn!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

right on.... the second image error messages are a result of not running the wizard as per the install video. :D
and fyi.. you can always force the lan to acorn connection manually if somehow the auto LAN/ethernet setup during install got mixed up. this is rare, but if you must you can simply go into windows ethernet adapter properties and type in the ip address for Acorn. like so.. but its always better to use the Installer and wizard to setup the Acorn.
manual adapter settings.PNG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Hi guys,

Okay, I did an uninstall/reinstall and while I can get CNC12 up and running, the VCP is not visible, even though there was a message window that said it was already running. There were also some other error messages just like last time and the first attempt at starting CNC12, it failed to start up. The second attempt got it running and there were some messages about library settings, or something like that. I got distracted and wasn't able to get pics.

The setup wizard did not start up automatically and I'm trying to figure out how/if I can run it manually. I'll attach a pic of what I'm looking at. BTW, firewall is off and Windows Defender is disabled for now. New PC parts have been ordered!
Attachments
image.jpg
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

I shut down and restarted CNC12 and now I can see the VCP but I still haven't figured out how to start the wizard. I think I've been through every menu and I don't see it.

On every restart of the program, I get a message saying "error opening mpu.plc" and then the messages shown in the attached pic.
Attachments
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Yes as I stated before you're getting those error messages cuz you haven't run the wizard . there should be a wizard icon on your desktop ...can you show us a picture of your desktop. Shift print screen makes a beautiful shot of your desktop then you can open paint hit control V for paste and then save it as a JPEG or a bitmap makes a much nicer picture van using camera and you can hit shift print screen much quicker to capture an error message then hauling out the camera.

Do you have TeamViewer installed on your machine if not please follow Marty videos on how to install and setup TeamViewer just search The Forum and you'll find them
martyscncgarage

Close CNC12
The Wizard should be on your desktop. Run it from there.
Choose Bench test, then Write Settings to CNC Control Configuration
Then restart CNC12
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Duh, the shortcut is on the desktop...it was hiding amongst my mess. When I click it, nothing happens.

Looking at my program list, I see CNC12 Mill and the VCP but no wizard program. In the cncm folder, I see the CNCWizard application. It's 946kb in size. Clicking on it does nothing.

I'm about to give up and just wait until my computer parts arrive and I can get it up and running, then try again. I just really wanted to see this thing functioning now. :(
Last edited by ScotY on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.