New install - CNC12 (resolved, follow the video)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

ScotY
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

New install - CNC12 (resolved, follow the video)

Post by ScotY »

EDIT: Here are a few things that I did wrong, even after watching the videos. First, make sure you unzip the folder that you download from the Centroid website before proceeding. Disable firewall and Windows Defender. If you have some other device that uses your ethernet port (in my case, a Smoothstepper), you need to go make sure your LAN Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties are set to:
IP address 10.168.41.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway - leave blank
These things where what caused me problems. After watching the videos a second time and doing the above items, all works as it should.

I've got the Acorn wired up properly to the 24v power supply and see the blue flashing LED. I then connected the ethernet cable to the PC and see a steady yellow and green LED on the port. I installed the CNC12 program and it progressed differently from the video I watched. My install asked something like if I wanted to select a network. The choices were none, connect to the ethernet Smoothstepper, or connect to wifi. I have a Smoothstepper that I use with this PC and that obviously seemed like the wrong choice. So, I chose wifi and then it asked if I wanted to change the IP address. That sounded like it might mess something up with my wifi router so I said no. The installation continued, the Virtual Control Panel installed, and I clicked on finish.

So, now when I try to run the CNC12 program, it says "Initializing MCU" and the green light on the ethernet port will blink infrequently, but nothing happens and then it times out. The first time I tried to run the program, Windows firewall stopped the process and I had to allow it. I know, I know...I watched the other video, but am hesitant to disable all that stuff as this PC is used for all the everyday normal stuff.

I then installed CNC12 again, selected wifi, and allowed it to change the IP address, and said something like the ethernet installation was successful. Tried running CNC12 again and still doesn't load and times out and, naturally, my router stopped working. Used Windows troubleshooting and, thankfully, it fixed the problem as prior to that I couldn't even access my router's settings. The fix said the DHCP settings were not enabled for wifi.

Anyone know what I did wrong and how to get it working?

Thanks, Scot
Last edited by ScotY on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
diycncscott

Re: New install - CNC12

Post by diycncscott »

Remove the smoothstepper, the Acorn takes the place of the smoothstepper and they don't interact. When you get to the network setup, select your NIC that is connected to the Acorn directly
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Remove the smoothstepper, the Acorn takes the place of the smoothstepper and they don't interact. When you get to the network setup, select your NIC that is connected to the Acorn directly
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ScotY wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:49 am I've got the Acorn wired up properly to the 24v power supply and see the blue flashing LED. I then connected the ethernet cable to the PC and see a steady yellow and green LED on the port. I installed the CNC12 program and it progressed differently from the video I watched. My install asked something like if I wanted to select a network. The choices were none, connect to the ethernet Smoothstepper, or connect to wifi. I have a Smoothstepper that I use with this PC and that obviously seemed like the wrong choice. So, I chose wifi and then it asked if I wanted to change the IP address. That sounded like it might mess something up with my wifi router so I said no. The installation continued, the Virtual Control Panel installed, and I clicked on finish.

So, now when I try to run the CNC12 program, it says "Initializing MCU" and the green light on the ethernet port will blink infrequently, but nothing happens and then it times out. The first time I tried to run the program, Windows firewall stopped the process and I had to allow it. I know, I know...I watched the other video, but am hesitant to disable all that stuff as this PC is used for all the everyday normal stuff.

I then installed CNC12 again, selected wifi, and allowed it to change the IP address, and said something like the ethernet installation was successful. Tried running CNC12 again and still doesn't load and times out and, naturally, my router stopped working. Used Windows troubleshooting and, thankfully, it fixed the problem as prior to that I couldn't even access my router's settings. The fix said the DHCP settings were not enabled for wifi.

Anyone know what I did wrong and how to get it working?

Thanks, Scot
Watch this video Quickie Clip to fix your IP address settings and test both the PC's network adapter and Acorn's network adapter: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=971

Your mistake was chosing the Wifi Ethernet adapter. Your Wifi probably doesn't work now. The video should help you configure your PC's network adapter. You may have to reinstall your Wifi adapter. (You may also have to go into the wifi adapter and check the ethernet IP address, if it was changed during the install to the IP address that was supposed to be the CNC PC's physical ethernet port's IP address in order to communicate with ACORN, you are going to have to change or set them to zeros and reinstall your wifi adapter. You can't have both two ethernet adapters with the same IP address.

Scott is right, you need to remove Smooth Stepper, ACORN replaces it. (They are both motion controllers) Have you posted pictures and a description of your machine somewhere for us to help understand what you are working on?

We'll all do our best to help get you going.

Marty
Last edited by martyscncgarage on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Thanks for the info...I'll see what I can figure out. I should have mentioned that the Smoothstepper is not physically connected to the PC right now.

I started watching the video you posted (haven't had a chance to work on the PC yet) and it sounds like you can have only one device (motion controller) set up to run on a computer. If I change the LAN IP settings, then the Smoothstepper won't work, unless I change it back. This is fine as my plan is to eventually sell it and pick up another Acorn. But the more important question is can you use 2 different Acorn boards on one PC?
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Update...I have followed the instructions in the video exactly and have successfully pinged both 10.168.41.1 and 10.168.41.2. Both communicate and all seems normal but when I try to start CNC12, it still says intializing MPU and times out without connecting. I have reboot the computer and also the Acorn with no success. What should I do?

When I changed the IP address, a window popped up that said "warning - the default gateway is not on the same network segment (subnet) that is defined by the IP address and subnet mask." The settings were as follows before I made the change:

IP Address 10.9.9.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 10.9.9.9

I changed only the IP address to 10.168.41.1 and left everything else the same. I've attached a pic of the network status. I'm not sure if the LAN status is acceptable. Perhaps this is the problem.

Thanks for the help! I'd imagine if I didn't have the Smoothstepper, this installation would have gone smoothly. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1726.JPG
martyscncgarage

The default gateway address is your problem. I am not home right now to check exactly what it is, but I would try setting it to the same as the CNC PC's IP 10.168.41.1 save and shut down the computer and Acorn. Watch the video again to see what it is set to.

Start Acorn first, and then the CNC PC.
Let me know if that works for you.
Marty
Last edited by martyscncgarage on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

You MUST turn off all firewalls!! Or CNC12 will not come up. Follow the Win10 setup video to a "T"
Last edited by martyscncgarage on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

ScotY wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 pm Thanks for the info...I'll see what I can figure out. I should have mentioned that the Smoothstepper is not physically connected to the PC right now.

I started watching the video you posted (haven't had a chance to work on the PC yet) and it sounds like you can have only one device (motion controller) set up to run on a computer. If I change the LAN IP settings, then the Smoothstepper won't work, unless I change it back. This is fine as my plan is to eventually sell it and pick up another Acorn. But the more important question is can you use 2 different Acorn boards on one PC?
One Acorn per PC.
If you upgrade the license it is tied to that Acorn.
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:12 pm The default gateway address is your problem. I am not home right now to check exactly what it is, but I would try setting it to the same as the CNC PC's IP 10.168.41.1 save and shut down the computer and Acorn. Watch the video again to see what it is set to.

Start Acorn first, and then the CNC PC.
Let me know if that works for you.
Marty
Hi Marty,

I changed the default gateway to match (got a warning message) but it still didn't work until I turned off the firewall. CNC12 then started up but first the MPU did a reboot and I got a bunch of error messages, one of which was related to Windows Defender. I guess you really do need to follow the directions! I guess I'll have to build a dedicated PC sooner than later as it worries me too much to have all that stuff turned off on a PC I use everyday for typical internet usage.

I'll attach some pics of the error messages. There may have been a couple more but a lot was happening pretty quickly. Just one more specific question and that's if one PC can conveniently run two separate Acorn boards on different machines? EDIT - just saw your other post.

Thanks again for the help!
Attachments
IMG_1734.JPG
IMG_1733.JPG