Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tool Library Offset -SOLVED - PERHAPS NOT

Post by cnckeith »

there are about 10 different ways to set zref and measure tools offsets.
common methods are described in these videos. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2118
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Crosshatch
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269931CF1-0307180710
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Crosshatch »

cnckeith wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:33 am there are about 10 different ways to set zref and measure tools offsets.
common methods are described in these videos. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2118
Thanks, will check if my method works. Trying to wrap my head around which method would allow me to simply type the tool lengths into the tool offsets. Not the offsets themselves.

Will review videos.

Regards,

Jason
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

tool offsets are not tool lengths.

tool offsets are the difference in tool lengths.

you can use almost anything (including a ruler) to measure tool offests, but why use a ruler when you have a CNC machine that you can use to measure them?

a Z reference point is ...is a point in which to measure all the tools from. choose this point wisely.
if you don't have a machine that can home out to the EXACT location everyday, its a good idea to use a reference tool. which is simple a yard stick in which to measure all the other tools with.. how long or short are the actual tools compared to the reference tool.. that is the tool offset.

all this is gone over in the video link.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Crosshatch
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269931CF1-0307180710
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Crosshatch »

cnckeith wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:55 pm tool offsets are not tool lengths.

tool offsets are the difference in tool lengths.

you can use almost anything (including a ruler) to measure tool offests, but why use a ruler when you have a CNC machine that you can use to measure them?

a Z reference point is ...is a point in which to measure all the tools from. choose this point wisely.
if you don't have a machine that can home out to the EXACT location everyday, its a good idea to use a reference tool. which is simple a yard stick in which to measure all the other tools with.. how long or short are the actual tools compared to the reference tool.. that is the tool offset.

all this is gone over in the video link.

Hi CNCKEITH,

Very true. I needed a refresher watching that video, I used that video when I first did it. I continued today measuring my tools on the granite plate and putting my tool lengths into a little spreadsheet I made and the correct offset should be applied. I typed these into the tool offset table and continued my testing.

I took all the calculated measurements and put them into the tool table offset.To check if the offsets were correct, I loaded an arbitrary tool into the Spindle (T9) zero'd the parts on the 1-2-3 block back in my WCS. I removed the tool from the holder, typed in the MDI (Tx Hx) and saw the DRO change relative to the NEW tool. I checked a number of tools doing this and jogging back to the 1-2-3 block, the DRO's all came to zero (0.000) for the Z-axis when the cooresponding tip of the cutter was at the 1-2-3 block, indicating the offsets are correct.

I'll have to run some code on a part, but everything should offset just fine.

Regards,

-Jason