Lathe G code program debug help needed

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

cncsnw

Re: Lathe G code program debug help needed

Post by cncsnw »

If a pair of equal and opposite moves do not get you back to where you started, then changing the turns ratio is not going to help.

You either have mechanical lost motion (e.g. backlash), or you have electronic lost motion (dropped steps, false steps, or unachievable accel/decel rates).
adrewfis
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by adrewfis »

First things first is to install the better limit switches and then get the turns ratio fairly close. After that I plan on doing the ballscrew compensation every .5" all the way down to my soft limits per the video Marty recommended in another thread as it compensates differences both toward the spindle and back toward the tailstock. And also will try the backlash settings I saw in Tech Bulletin 37 if all else fails.
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by tblough »

As CNCSNW pointed out, you have either mechanical or electrical issues and no amount of mapping is going to correct the problem. Mapping is for errors on the order of tenths.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
adrewfis
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by adrewfis »

I dialed it in last night and am well within tolerance. I believe the whole issue was first, putting 8 in/rev causing the X & Z axis to crash into hard stops several times and this ended up loosening the set screws. Since I was unaware of the loose set screws, this caused the near catastrophe turning down the hex part. Next the G99 code was in place in the MDI mode instead of G98. Once I tightened the set screws and used the G98 code, things worked just fine. I plan on putting locktight on the set screws and re-doing the limit switches by the weekend and obviously checking to make sure to use .001 in/rev NOT 8 or 10 IF I end up using it. Otherwise will stick with the in/min setting.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

adrewfis wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:45 am I dialed it in last night and am well within tolerance. I believe the whole issue was first, putting 8 in/rev causing the X & Z axis to crash into hard stops several times and this ended up loosening the set screws. Since I was unaware of the loose set screws, this caused the near catastrophe turning down the hex part. Next the G99 code was in place in the MDI mode instead of G98. Once I tightened the set screws and used the G98 code, things worked just fine. I plan on putting locktight on the set screws and re-doing the limit switches by the weekend and obviously checking to make sure to use .001 in/rev NOT 8 or 10 IF I end up using it. Otherwise will stick with the in/min setting.
Great to hear your progress.
Let us know when fully resolved so we can mark this as resolved.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ