Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: New DMM Servo install

Post by martyscncgarage »

Raceman17 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:04 pm I ran the machine today with and without the encoder hooked up and I didnt get a fault. The encoder was hooked up when I was cutting. The air cut program was about 30 mins or so I it ran with not faults. I ran it three times I think. Heres a fresh report. I was getting alot of spindle faults on Sept 5th. This is when I was having issues.
Your message log looks OK for the last day as you experienced no trouble.
I would take apart the DB9 connector on your encoder cable and look for loose connections or what I call "whiskers" touching from one pin to another.
I would suspect a bad solder joint, or connection. Check the DB9 first with magnifiers
Then I would probably cut off the old cable leaving 6" or so at the encoder end. Splice on the Centroid encoder cable. Make sure to use the drain wire from the shield. I assume you have a color chart for the encoder and what each pin does. When you do the splice follow the Centroid color chart. Attached for reference.

Good luck
Marty

P.S. You should get upgraded to 4.5
Attachments
Centroid Encoder Color Code DB9 200908.pdf
(61.87 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Raceman17
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Raceman17 »

So do I just peel back the foil taping on both wire bundles and then solder the drain together?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Raceman17 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:24 pm So do I just peel back the foil taping on both wire bundles and then solder the drain together?
Yes. Then heatshrink the bundle. CHECK THE DB9 CONNECTIONS FIRST Make sure no cold solder joints or whiskers.
Then splice the cable
If you still have problems, likely could be internal age problems with the encoder.

Does your spindle actually do 8K RPM?
Mesa, AZ
Raceman17

Post by Raceman17 »

I'll check the connector first. I might just cut the cable and resolder on a new 9pin just to be certain there is good connections. The spindle on the machine was rebuilt not too long ago. I have all the paperwork on the machine. I called the spindle rebuild company and they said I had the 6k spindle. Based on my lack of usage though he said I could turn it at 8k if I wanted since I'm not doing any production work. I still run it right a 6k but if I need a new encoder I'd get one that can do 8k
martyscncgarage

Raceman17 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:25 pm I'll check the connector first. I might just cut the cable and resolder on a new 9pin just to be certain there is good connections. The spindle on the machine was rebuilt not too long ago. I have all the paperwork on the machine. I called the spindle rebuild company and they said I had the 6k spindle. Based on my lack of usage though he said I could turn it at 8k if I wanted since I'm not doing any production work. I still run it right a 6k but if I need a new encoder I'd get one that can do 8k
The faster they are rated the more expensive they are.....
Hopefully a new connector and cable will do it.....
I hate solder cups, I use crimp pins, but I have the AMP tool to crimp properly.
Good luck!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Raceman17

Post by Raceman17 »

So back on the machine.. i have yet to have another spindle fault. Ive been side tracked with other things. Ive rant into a little issue as well. I was on vacation a few weeks ago and decided to purchase a probe kit. I did not realize at the time that I only have 1 avaliable input for the probe. It needs two..
At this particular moment I'm using the DriveOK,
Home all, spindle ok, zr1, zr2, zr3, and estop ok. Can I get rid of one of these inputs so I have two avaliable.

I can tell you that I have NEVER used the estop button. If I have an issue I just hit the escape button on the control keyboard. Can I side step this input? I know its not optimal but it is what it is right at this moment.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You should keep the E-stop button wired so that it opens a contactor and removes power from the axis drives. Wiring it to a PLC input in addition is just a nicety, so that the software can tell you why your motors won't move.
martyscncgarage

You are in a tough spot and one of the limitations of Acorn, short on inputs.
You need the physical Estop to Cycle reset a fault.
You take away drive fault, then if a drive faults the control will not fault, causing the other two to continue to move. Could damage something. Likewise to the SpindleOK input
Mesa, AZ
Raceman17

Post by Raceman17 »

Right now the estop is not wired though a contactor. So your saying get rid of it going through the plc input and just have it remove power from the contactor. Obviously at that point if I hit the estop I would know that the drives are powered down.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Yes. First priority is to ensure that pressing Emergency Stop will stop motor movement, even if software or a drive is malfunctioning.

While the physical E-stop button wired to a PLC input was one way of resetting fault conditions, you can also reset faults using the Reset button on the VCP.