CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Thread

Post by martyscncgarage »

Dave_C wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm Update:

I decided to go over all the setting for rigid taping this morning and as I did I saw a footnote in the setup sheet stating that if a certain fault happened, then try taping at a lower spindle speed.

So with nothing to lose I just edited my code and changed the 640 to 440 RPM. Now mind this, I tried to run the code at 640 at least 4 times with my wife standing beside me as a witness and it failed on all four tries.

So after changing the spindle speed to 440 we tried it again, and then again and then the third time.

IT RAN EVERY TIME, just perfect! I made a video of the test because I know there are those out there who will have to see it to believe it and I will get it posted up later today.

So someone tell me why it works at 440 RPM and fails at 640 RPM. It fails right after the spindle makes the rapid move to the clearance height above the part. So to make it as clear as I can, the tool changes is done, the spindle starts, comes up to speed, then the rapid move to .100" above the part and then the fault happens. (before it starts to thread)

Changed spindle to 440 rpm and all goes as it should.

Video is on its way!

Dave C.
Congrats Dave!
Post an updated report when you can for Centroid should they care to look at it.

Looking forward to seeing your machine do it's thing.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Dave_C »

Here is the link to the video, short and shorter!

https://youtu.be/9qh-8cLkbjI

Dave C.

Report attached about four post higher, nothing changed since last update to new version of software.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Dave_C wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 pm Here is the link to the video, short and shorter!

https://youtu.be/9qh-8cLkbjI

Dave C.

Report attached about four post higher, nothing changed since last update to new version of software.
Nice.
Can't answer why the spindle RPM change made a difference.
I will defer to Centroid to look at that one.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Well here is the latest bad news:

I thought I would run a sample test and make another video of it working at 440 RPM. I made the code in Intercon to spot the holes, drill the holes and thread the holes.

I homed the machine, set my part zero, started the code and it did the spot drill just fine, drilled the line of holes perfectly and then erred out on the rigid tap part!

I tried it three times all with the same results.

So the part I can't figure out is why it works/worked a few times and then doesn't work later. That was the same result when I had it running at 640 RPM.

So I ordered a new encoder only this time I'm stepping down to a 1,000 line encoder instead of the 2,500 line one that I have now. Don't forget, this current one was already replaced by AD once so I'm not asking them to replace it again, I'm just buying a new one.

It will be here in a few days and I'll post the results. IF this doesn't fix the issue I starting to look at the Acorn board itself as being flakey.

Dave .
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Today's update:

The Ferrite beads (5mm) that I ordered came in today. I put one on each end of the encoder cable much like what you'd expect to see on a computer VGA cable.

I tried the program, same fault! So that did not fix the issue.

New encoder is on the way. This will be the third encoder so if this one does not work I'll be taking it up with Centroid!

Dave C.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Not sure, but I’ve been told in the past that the wires needs to loop through the ferrite beads at least a couple of turns to make a difference. If you just stuffed the entire cable through it, I’m not sure if it is helping any.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

There are "beads" and there are "Chokes". If you look at a computer cable you will see that the "beads
just clamp onto the surface of the wires. The "chokes" however do require a few pass of the wire through them.

A choke is usually round and large enough to pass the wire through more than once. The bead type is usually fitted to the wire size which in my case was 5mm.

Dave C.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Okay, well guess you seem to know what you’re doing. I’ll leave now. :lol:
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

While I am waiting on my new encoder (third one) I took a deeper look at you wiring diagram and I looked at my documentation that came with my encoder.

My colors and yours are not the same! Yes, the functions of A/B/C AND -A/-B/-C are all wired to the proper terminals but my wires and yours are not the same color. HUM!

Picture attached. The left side of the picture is my documentation and the right side was taken from your post and enlarged for clarity.

Dave C.
0517181115.jpg
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

More updates:

Since Marty's wire colors are different than my documentation I thought [what the heck] I'll wire it up by Marty's color chart.

So I did expecting it to not work at all but it did! It gave me forward RPM when ran forward and erred out when I tried to run Rigid tap.

So surprise, surprise, this thing works wired either way but gives the exact same results.

I tried to remove the 255's from 334 and 335 and I get the Quadrature error when I do. (wired either way)

So back to waiting on a different encoder model.

Dave C.