Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C122564
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Computer Requirements

Post by David Buchhauser »

"Computer manufacturers would put a relatively small SSD so the operating system would load faster."
I believe what you are saying here is that a SSD will load faster than a HDD (mechanical). I agree.
If you are saying that a smaller SSD will load the operating system faster than a larger SSD, then I disagree.
David
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Yes, SSDs are much quicker than mechanical hard drives
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Panovak
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Panovak »

Should I remove all other programs from this computer? I was hoping to use this computer for my cam/cad programs like fusion 360. Would this be ok?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/th6rUqavMVn2GkNa9 - Ill have images posted here
martyscncgarage

Panovak wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:13 pm Should I remove all other programs from this computer? I was hoping to use this computer for my cam/cad programs like fusion 360. Would this be ok?
Should be ok, but if you are putting these programs on your C drive, you'd better check to see how much disk space is left....
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Panovak wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:13 pm Should I remove all other programs from this computer? I was hoping to use this computer for my cam/cad programs like fusion 360. Would this be ok?
Install all other programs on the D drive and leave the C drive for operating system and CNC12 would be my choice if you only have one PC. MY CNCPC is a dedicated machine with only CNC12 on it, nothing else. It's not even hooked to the internet. I design and create cut files on another pc in my comfortable office out of the shop. :D
Panovak

Post by Panovak »

good idea! thanks
Seeing as this machine is for hobby use, the boss says i need to cut costs where i can! Definitely someday Ill have a dedicated PC.
Panovak

Post by Panovak »

i am in process of wiring DMM dyn4 to acorn. I have some questions regarding the e stop and power supply. I watched a video where Marty was installing a dyn2 to acorn. He used a toroidal transformer to complete a contactor circuit see video below around 13:30 mintues.

Do i need a transformer like this? Also is this a different contactor then the one shown in the dyn 4 power schematic. see image below. any help regarding this whole aspect of the build would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to minimize my questions but what im finding is that there are several ways to accomplish the same thing. So i am finding a lot of conflicting/ different information.
Thank you
Attachments
dyn 4 power schematic.pdf
(53.87 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
martyscncgarage

You are looking at an Estop contactor circuit. "24VAC" was derived from the toroidal transformer, fed through relay 1 (NOFAULTOUT), and then to one coil terminal of the estop contactor, the other coil of the Estop contactor goes to the other leg of the toroidal transformer. The power TO the drives goes through the contacts of that relay.

Yes, you should have a contactor of sufficient size to carry the load drawn by the servos plus a safety margin. If you press the estop button it does two things, it opens the circuit that provides power to the drives, via one NC contact block and the 2nd NC contact block grounds the ESTOP input on Acorn.

Hope that helps.

Centroid has a draft wiring schematic showing this setup, but unsure if it has been released. If you follow an OAK or All in One DC schematic for the estop contactor, its basically the same. if there is a VFD involved, the COMMON of the VFD goes through another set of contacts on the estop contactor before it reaches the Acorn relay board, so that in the event of a fault or Estop press, the VFD control circuit is also opened.

It all depends on your application and its up to you to determine the safety features for your particular situation.
Marty

PS, now you are mixing electrical questions in a thread that is titled COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS. You really need to start a build thread....Explain what you are building, what components you are using, pictures etc.
Mesa, AZ