Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Rigid Tapping Not Working - Summary

Post by RJS100 »

Uwe... You out did yourself today. Not only did you get this thing up and running, but you did it fast enough that I was still able to cancel the new encoder I ordered last night!

Even better, I tapped these three holes at 800 rpm. The threads look perfect.

Thanks again... Richard
Attachments
20240529_174012.jpg
Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Re: Rigid Tapping Not Working - Summary <resolved, works great with photos> >

Post by Muzzer »

So, to clarify, does the Fusion post processor output G84 with F or Q for the thread pitch? It looked as if most Fusion posts including Centroid set the spindle speed and then convert the pitch into a downfeed, F.

Uwe talked about creating a modified post to take advantage of Centroid's G84 that allows for pitch to be specified directly as Q, rather like the Intercon output - but it doesn't seem that was required in the end.
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

Actually, , the post was modified to output the Q value that Centroid is looking for by Andrew Laas on the Fusion CAM Forum (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-m ... 88#M158955). Uwe was kind enough to copy and paste the modified code into a the Swissi PP.

Thanks... Richard
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Aha that's interesting, although I don't have a spindle encoder on my mill. My lathe does - but the concept of "G84 rigid tapping" doesn't apply in that application. I may take a look at the changes to see how it was done. The Fusion forum link is very helpful.

The default Fusion output for most PPs (not just Centroid) assumes a constant spindle speed and then sets the feedrate F that is appropriate for the required thread pitch. I believe the Q parameter that Centroid use uses the spindle encoder (spindle angle) to determine the Z position, which feels technically more robust. That suggests that once issued, the G84 Q... command gears the spindle to the Z axis so you should be able to manually rotate the spindle and observe the Z position move in coordination. I can't try that myself as I have no encoder but it would be interesting to see if that is how it works.
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

I wish I could give it a try for you, but I am away for a few weeks. I will give it a whirl when I get back. I think your description is correct. Yes, the folks on the Fusion CAM forum have been extremely helpful to me over the past year or so. Andrew Laas on the forum appears to be quite familiar with Centroid. He made a point of demonstrating exactly how he modified the post.

I never touched a milling machine, CAD program or even knew what "g-code" meant before I started playing with this stuff about 2 years ago. I love this hobby and would be lost without the awesome folks on the Centroid and Fusion CAM forums.

Best... Richard
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Muzzer wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:22 pm Aha that's interesting, although I don't have a spindle encoder on my mill. My lathe does - but the concept of "G84 rigid tapping" doesn't apply in that application. I may take a look at the changes to see how it was done. The Fusion forum link is very helpful.

The default Fusion output for most PPs (not just Centroid) assumes a constant spindle speed and then sets the feedrate F that is appropriate for the required thread pitch. I believe the Q parameter that Centroid use uses the spindle encoder (spindle angle) to determine the Z position, which feels technically more robust. That suggests that once issued, the G84 Q... command gears the spindle to the Z axis so you should be able to manually rotate the spindle and observe the Z position move in coordination. I can't try that myself as I have no encoder but it would be interesting to see if that is how it works.
exactly, the Z axis is electronic geared to the spindle. Turning the spindle and the Z axis will move just like on a manual lathe with the lead screw.

Uwe
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

One more question... Earlier on this post, Uwe mentioned that you can tap the same hole more than once, I tried it and it worked great. Just curious... How does Centroid register the tap to start in the same place each time?
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Encoder Z impulse

Uwe
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

Thanks... Pretty cool software!
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

once per rev there is an index pulse from the encoder that CNC12 automagically uses to line back up with the existing threads enabling deep hole tapping, peck tapping and the ability to retap the same hole over and over again.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html