Servo Control and Teknic Motors but Which One?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

silver2row
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6665
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Servo Control and Teknic Motors but Which One?

Post by silver2row »

Hello,

I have tried the SC Servo Motors from Teknic. I have a photo to share. Would simple step and direction servos be a better choice for the Acorn CNC or would Digital I/O Servos be a better choice?

I have a SC Servo that I have programmed but I wanted to incorporate the Servo in question to another machine. Anyway, here is the photo:

If you have used the Teknic Servos and have some feedback, please let loose.

Seth

P.S. I saw the Teknic Servo Motors on the schematic. It states SDSK. I will keep looking for these on their site for these particular Servos. Um, would any of the teknic servos work w/ the Acorn CNC in Router Mode w/ CNC12 v4.60? I am getting my bearings down on what is accepted as a good motor before completely compromising. Also, I will most likely just use the Gecko Drive(s) I found online unless they cannot produce over 50v. I think the Acorn CNC can handle 80v maximum. This is around the maximum voltage from the Drive I have currently but at 75v. Anyway, any advice or ideas welcomed. There is a photo listed too of the three different types of Servos from Teknic ClearPath.
Attachments
From Teknic.com...
From Teknic.com...
silver2row

Re: Servo Control and Teknic Motors but Which One?

Post by silver2row »

Hello Again,

Sorry. I am chatting w/ myself here. Um, I found the SDSK Servos from teknic.com.

One is actually a Step/Direction SK (Stepper Killer) and then they have other motors. Would the safer bet be to get the SDSK model to test firstly?

Anyway, I know it is primarily up to me. I guess I am just looking for feedback now.

Seth

P.S. Right now, w/ the accessibility of the Acorn CNC and all the schematics of already made machines, I need to pick and pick wisely. Hence, my plea for ideas and feedback. All for now!
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

The Teknic SDSK servos are light years ahead of any Gecko drive. The Acorn is a step and direction controller so you have to stick with step and direction drives. Acorn does not care what the voltage is to your motors. The current Acorn software is 4.82.
silver2row

Post by silver2row »

SDSK it is...thank you.

Oh! 4.82 is the current CNC12 source. Okay, thank you.

Okay about the Acorn not caring about voltage. My Drives need to handle the voltage. Got it.

Seth

P.S. This is good info. Thank you again.
carbuthn
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by carbuthn »

I am using the SDSK motors, they have been very good. Make sure that you get the correct size(torque). Teknic support can help with that, I original got a couple that were too small and had to change them out.

Also Teknic will allow you to try them out and return them within 90 days. Good luck with your build.
silver2row

Post by silver2row »

Hello carbuthn,

Seth here. Thank you for advising me. I have been researching what size motors are needed and looking at the SDSK motors at Teknic.

I am going to build w/ the Acorn CNC in time w/ the upgraded Router/CNC12 source. Now, I may need to just find the correct schematic for the gas laser build.

I looked online at the laser build schematics that Centroid produced on the Acorn page...

1. Has anyone produced a gas laser build or is it similar to diode lasers?
2. My drivers will need to be small, i.e. as the motors are not massive for now...
3. The machine is already put together, e.g. I would be doing a drop-in replacement of electronics only.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone replying and advising me.

Seth

P.S. The DB25 connectors come in soon, i.e. later today. So, I can start to pick apart what is what on this machine and then start to perform the drop-in replacement!