Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 4882
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Bridgeport series 1 centroid CNC4 to acorn conversion

Post by Jason Birch »

As far as setting up the acorn for permanent use, Im going to mount the main board and relay board in the original centroid CNC4 motion controller box. Even if I end up with different drives it's a nice solid box with main power switch and e stop I'll be using. I would think I could set it up to use the command buttons on it I if I wanted to although I have touch screen.

The driver and logic boards in the motion controller are 8 3/8" to fit the slots in the enclosure chassis. I figure I'll get a sheet of some sort, plastic, phenolic or aluminum cut to fit the chassis , and mount the boards on it on standoffs.

Should I be concerned about RF noise with the acorn being mounted close the the motor drivers and in an enclosure with 2 power supplys, the original motion controller/drive power and the meanwell rd-35b? Would an aluminum plate to mount the boards be a bad idea?
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

A metal enclosure and a metal mounting plate is recommended.

Uwe
slodat
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by slodat »

BDubs wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:09 am Leadshine makes a really nice NEMA 42 Easy Servo motor and drive that's hard to beat. It's a closed loop stepper. Bolts right up aside from maybe needing a different size taper lock. Save yourself a lot of agg by not putting N34s on it. It's not a place to scrimp. Otherwise you wind up buying motors twice... been there done that.
Where do you find/buy these NEMA 42 Leadshine Easy Servos? I can't find them online. And not on Leadshine's website. Do they call them something else?
Jason Birch

Post by Jason Birch »

suntravel wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:10 am A metal enclosure and a metal mounting plate is recommended.

Uwe
Nice , thank you!

I can picture that PAW sticker on your lathe on my dad's toolbox or race trailer or something. I'm 46
And it was awhile ago. Is that still around?
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Jason Birch

Post by Jason Birch »

Ok, I'm working my way through this and I want to try to set it up right. My drives and vcc/ground are on a 26pin IDC ribbon connection with a 3 way cable already. Would It be wise to get a break out board like this to run jumpers to the acorn or can I just strip and separate the end on the ribbon to set in the acorn screw terminals? Those wires sure are tiny. If I go with the breakout board would a solid copper phone wire type be good for the jumpers from the breakout to the acorn?
Attachments
Screenshot_20221218-052042_Amazon Shopping.jpg
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Unless it is a shielded ribbon cable, I think that is going to cause problems. You really want your step and direction wires to be shielded twisted pair cables.

You should never use solid hook up wire in a machine tool. Vibration will cause the wires to break at the connection. Best case is they break and fall off. Worst case is they break and the insulation holds it together and you end up with an intermittent connection that is impossible to diagnose.

Automation Direct, McMaster-Carr, Digikey, and Mouser Electronics are a few places where you can buy 18ga stranded MTW (Machine Tool Wire) for your connections.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Darrell Hall
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1923

Post by Darrell Hall »

Jason, getting ready to do the same retrofit. Did you take everything out of the CNC4 box and just leave the drives? Also I'm thinking of using a Intel NUC as my computer thoughts.
Jason Birch

Post by Jason Birch »

tblough wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:03 am Unless it is a shielded ribbon cable, I think that is going to cause problems. You really want your step and direction wires to be shielded twisted pair cables.

You should never use solid hook up wire in a machine tool. Vibration will cause the wires to break at the connection. Best case is they break and fall off. Worst case is they break and the insulation holds it together and you end up with an intermittent connection that is impossible to diagnose.

Automation Direct, McMaster-Carr, Digikey, and Mouser Electronics are a few places where you can buy 18ga stranded MTW (Machine Tool Wire) for your connections.
I would assume it's sheilded ribbon cable. It's all original parts from a centroid CNC4. The jumper wires being a twisted wire does make sense for though. The computer is not mounted to the machine and shouldn't really vibrate. I think there is a pile of wire in the original CNC PC I could scavenge plus ive got a couple old PC laying around as well. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that wire as well.
Jason Birch

Post by Jason Birch »

Darrell Hall wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:34 pm Jason, getting ready to do the same retrofit. Did you take everything out of the CNC4 box and just leave the drives? Also I'm thinking of using a Intel NUC as my computer thoughts.
Yes my plan is to remove the other boards from the CNC4 enclosure and build a new board that fits the chassis slot with the acorn parts mounted on it, plus a new rear plate to cover it all up. I'm leaving the fan and power supply for the drives and motors obviously. The estop button can be tied in directly to the acorn. I believe that the same power cord could be tied into the acorn provided power supply for simplicity as well but I'm looking into that. I don't think you want the CNC4 power switch to kill power to the acorn board .

I have no computer knowledge to pass on except that they use a Intel NUC in the setup/bench test videos so I would say it's a very good idea. I had my brother build me a touchscreen laptop with the requirements set by centroid so that saved me a pile of money.