Burned up Spindle - Wrong Parameters in VFD?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Ziggy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Burned up Spindle - Wrong Parameters in VFD?

Post by Ziggy »

So I managed to release the smoke from a brand new spindle. Whoops! Luckily the seller said I could send it back. Whew!

After much fussing about and checking and re-checking my settings – and even confirming the display showed the right Hz and RPM before connecting the spindle, my spindle started spinning up for about 5 seconds and then started smoking. It shut itself down before I could get it unplugged. It was unpleasant to say the least. Quite a steep learning curve.

I suspect I have a setting wrong and I was hoping to receive some guidance here.

I was very generously gifted a DELTA MS300 VFD. The person who gave it to me bought it as a matched set with a different spindle so the first thing I did was a factory reset by plugging in the parameter 00-02 , option 10.

Afterwards I checked the identity code / drive rated current of the motor drive with parameters 00-00 and 00-01. These were 230V, 3 Phase, 10 HP and 33 Amps. So this is a more-than-capable VFD.

Then I used this tutorial and plugged in my own values. (Relying on this video and not referencing previous experience – however minimal – was, I believe, my big mistake)

https://plc247.com/delta-ms300-vfd-setting-tutorial/

The manual is too large to attach but can be found here:
https://downloadcenter.deltaww.com/en-U ... t_dir=DESC

I based my parameters off of this information from the manufacturer:
220V Spindle Specs.jpg

Here are the parameters I entered:

01-00 – 400 (Max Operating Frequency)
01-01 – 60 (Motor Frequency – Was already set)
01-12 – 10 Acceleration time
01-13 – 10 Deceleration time
05-01 – 8 (Motor Current)
05-02 – 2.2 (Motor Power Kw)

It wasn’t specified in the tutorial but I added:
05-04 – 2 (Pole Number of Induction Motor 1)

--

As I look back through other settings the ones that seems most likely to have caused the issue are:
01-02 through 01-11. As I checked them tonight, they are all still at the default value listed in the manual (pg147) except for 01-09 which was 6. This is just a guess. I also get the feeling there were more things I should have entered.

My only other experience with VFDs was my original Huanyang 110V VFD / Spindle. (I have another thread dedicated to my learning curve with this setup.) This is the same spindle as I have now except it was 110V vs my current 220V There were many more settings I needed to add in this setup compared to the tutorial mentioned above. But a message from the manufacturer of the Huanyang spindle said these needed to be set:

Max Operating Frequency – 400 (Hz)
Base Frequency – 400
Main Frequency – 400
Higher Analog Freqency – 400
Rated Motor Revolution – 3000 (Somehow this relates to 24K RPM)
Default value - Rated Motor Current – 20 (This was for the 110V spindle)
Default value - Motor Poles Number – 2

There were more settings but these seemed the most relevant. These are the names of the settings in the Huanyang manual. How these relate to the Delta settings I am not sure.

Hopefully you will forgive my ignorance as I am trying not to make the same mistakes again. I do find it odd that the spindle burned out so quickly.

Any help – as always – is greatly appreciated.

I may also send this information to Delta tech support. They are very busy but maybe they will still answer even though I am not the original purchaser.

Thanks!
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: Burned up Spindle - Wrong Parameters in VFD?

Post by suntravel »

Seems like this spindle should only run at 400 Hz.

so 01-01 set to 400Hz

and 01-07 set to 400Hz (minimum Output Frequency) but maybe 200 will be ok to with water cooling

Running at slower speed (Hz) could burn it.

05-03 set to 3000 rated speed

Uwe
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

most 'router' spindles have a base frequency of 300 or 400 hz unlike milling machine spindle motors which commonly have a base frequency of 60 hz.
like Uwe said, the VFD needs to know what the base frequency of the motor is rated at so be sure to set that properly to match the VFD to the spindle motor.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Once you have told the VFD your max phase voltage (220V) and max frequency (400Hz), you shouldn't be able to damage the motor, even at low speeds (other than by overloading or through lack of cooling) - the VFD will vary the phase voltage with speed to limit the stator flux and avoid saturation, either by applying constant V/f or using vector control. The only other critical parameter is the max phase current but that will only come into play if you apply a large torque (torque is broadly proportional to phase current) The number of poles simply relates the frequency to the rotor speed. I've no idea where the "3000rpm" comes from though.

The 220V / 400Hz / 8A parameters should cover the critical settings. You should be fine to run this at lower speeds once those settings have been made. You can always check that with the manufacturer but it would be a strange spindle motor that only operated at one speed.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

3000 rpm is the speed at 50Hz from the supply.

with 400 Hz it runs 400/50*3000 = 24000 rpm.

Uwe
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks so much for the replies. Now that I look back at my other spindle I am sure everyone is right and that I should have set the base frequency to 400Hz.

I need to do a little more reading on the minimum, midpoint and higher frequencies and VFD theory in general.

Thanks again!
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

suntravel wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:27 am 3000 rpm is the speed at 50Hz from the supply.
Indeed, although you'd definitely smoke it if you applied 240V at that frequency. It would be happy with 50/400 x 220V ie about 28V at 50Hz (or 33V at 60Hz). It seems a strange figure to quote!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

This may sound dumb... but I am trying to imagine why that setting would cause the motor to burn.

The only think I can figure is that with 60hz each half of a cycle would be 8.33ms while at 400hz it would be 1.25ms. Maybe current flowing longer in each cycle was too much for the windings?

Speculation derived out of ignorance can sometimes be amusing to the learned. Maybe I gave someone a laugh. :)
Vwfan

Post by Vwfan »

Following along to figure out what your solution is as I’m still unable to figure out my precision Matthews 940 V VFD hookups and wiring
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

A stated earlier, setting the VFD to match the motor parameters will not cause it to burn up. Something else went awry. The critical settings are as posted by Muzzer. Max operating frequency and motor frequency should both be set to 400 Hz. Motor voltage is 220, max current of the motor is 8 amps and the max rpm of the motor is 24,000 (not 3000). Setting these will allow the motor to run happily with proper cooling.