CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn and ClearCore integration

Post by oscmejia »

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience that can share about integrating the Acorn board and a ClearCore (https://teknic.com/products/io-motion-controller/) board?

I'm considering using a ClearCore for an automatic tool changer (motion in 3 axes), but a very important part of the integration is how both platforms would talk vidirectionally.

Any comments or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!
rruizvial
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804738481A4 0130191589.

Re: Acorn and ClearCore integration

Post by rruizvial »

"both platforms would talk bidirectionally"

This is the problem, and this is your reply: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... 8&start=20
Richards
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Acorn and ClearCore integration

Post by Richards »

I have a ClearCore module w/expansion module. I did not buy it to work directly with my Acorns. It can provide drive signals for Teknic servo motors or for stepper motors via stepper drivers. With a little ingenuity, you might find a way to use an Acorn and the ClearCore to control a tool changer. To drive an eight position changer, you would need three Acorn outputs (2^3=8) and at least one Acorn input to indicate when the tool was locked in position. You could use a single Acorn output to serially step through the tool positions and two inputs, one for tool zero home and one that pulsed each time a tool was sensed, but that would be slow and tedious.

Personally, I would use the Acorn expansion board to interface with the Teknic ClearCore and then use the ClearCore to intelligently handle the tool changer. That option would be more costly (about $800-900 for the Acorn, expansion board and the ClearCore), but it would easily do the job.

The new Centroid board would probably be a better choice - when it is released. (At my age, I'm not counting on living long enough to see that board released. It seems like I was in my midteens when it was announced and now I'm in my 70s.)
-Mike Richards