Re: z crashes immediately into table...

Post by pescadoman »

a screen shot of the program as it started
Attachments
20220310_142346[1].jpg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

In the report.txt file you posted, the Z axis part zero location was set at 1.2553" *above* machine zero. The G28 return point (used with M25 and M6) had the Z axis going to machine zero. So, with those settings, any attempt to move the Z axis to machine zero was going to move to 1.2553" below your part zero.

That part zero setting is/was wrong. Since you should be homing to the positive limit, and you are not using tool height offsets, your Z axis part zero should always be a negative value.
pescadoman
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by pescadoman »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:01 pm In the report.txt file you posted, the Z axis part zero location was set at 1.2553" *above* machine zero. The G28 return point (used with M25 and M6) had the Z axis going to machine zero. So, with those settings, any attempt to move the Z axis to machine zero was going to move to 1.2553" below your part zero.

That part zero setting is/was wrong. Since you should be homing to the positive limit, and you are not using tool height offsets, your Z axis part zero should always be a negative value.
I set the z zero high on that report...I believe, to show it would simply dive straight down. I actually hope that you are correct and this isn't some weird anomaly that I need to worry about. This is how I cut.

Set z to part surface in software. XY to whatever corner...sometimes middle...
Lower z to part surface/corner or center and set zero's.
Recheck G Code.
Cut.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Set z to part surface in software. XY to whatever corner...sometimes middle...
Lower z to part surface/corner or center and set zero's.
Recheck G Code.
Cut.
When you first turn the control on, you need to set machine zero (machine home).

Usually this is done by letting the machine home to its switches. You have instead selected "Jog" as the homing method, meaning you have to jog all the axes to a suitable machine zero position, then press Cycle Start to set machine zero there.

Is that the point you are describing in your first step, "Set z to part surface"?

If so, that is where your problem lies. Machine home on the Z axis should be at maximum height, not at the surface.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

thanks Marc good catch.

yep! part zero and machine home are not the same point. part zero is relative to machine home.
this article covers the subject well.
https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusio ... made-easy/
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html