Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB7306-0103180445
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: C1 on main acorn board burned right off the board

Post by Richard70 »

+5VDC is power only to the KL-8082H drive encoder circuitry.
On the Acorn Rev. 2 board (my original), if +5VDC is connected to the drive encoder circuitry before Acorn is 'ready', this somehow prevents the drive from operating.
Existing +5VDC connection:
+5VDC from power supply wired to connector H7, pin 'RL1', then pin 'NO1' connected to drive encoders. Refer to schematic in previous post to clarify wiring. (H7 connector not on Rev 4 board - now is H10.
This results in the Acorn board being powered up before the +5VDC is connected to the encoders.
I think it would be wise for me to keep this the same. It will not affect any other operation. I just need to find a female connector that matches.
The 'new' relay output connector looks like what is normally used on computer boards, but I can't seem to find one that matches. Do you know what kind of connector it is?
I just downloaded the Rev 4 schematic for Leadshine CS-D1008 - it shows the +5VDC power directly connected to the drive encoder +5VDC input. Does this mean that I can forego using RL1 for delaying the +5VDC?

It would take a lot of convincing for me to change ANY of the Wizard settings - they have worked flawlessly since the start.

Leadshine CSD1008 drive manual
http://www.leadshineusa.com/UploadFile/ ... m_v3.1.pdf
Automation Technologies KL-8082H manual (cannot seem to get a direct link to the pdf file ??)
Link to manual on this page, click on "HY-8082H (1932 downloads)"
https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... rvo-driver
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Richard70 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:42 am +5VDC is power only to the KL-8082H drive encoder circuitry.
On the Acorn Rev. 2 board (my original), if +5VDC is connected to the drive encoder circuitry before Acorn is 'ready', this somehow prevents the drive from operating.
Existing +5VDC connection:
+5VDC from power supply wired to connector H7, pin 'RL1', then pin 'NO1' connected to drive encoders. Refer to schematic in previous post to clarify wiring. (H7 connector not on Rev 4 board - now is H10.
This results in the Acorn board being powered up before the +5VDC is connected to the encoders.
I think it would be wise for me to keep this the same. It will not affect any other operation. I just need to find a female connector that matches.
The 'new' relay output connector looks like what is normally used on computer boards, but I can't seem to find one that matches. Do you know what kind of connector it is?
I just downloaded the Rev 4 schematic for Leadshine CS-D1008 - it shows the +5VDC power directly connected to the drive encoder +5VDC input. Does this mean that I can forego using RL1 for delaying the +5VDC?

It would take a lot of convincing for me to change ANY of the Wizard settings - they have worked flawlessly since the start.

Leadshine CSD1008 drive manual
http://www.leadshineusa.com/UploadFile/ ... m_v3.1.pdf
Automation Technologies KL-8082H manual (cannot seem to get a direct link to the pdf file ??)
Link to manual on this page, click on "HY-8082H (1932 downloads)"
Using relay output 1 right now would not do anything unless you have it set to NOFAULT.
Right now it is set to Output1 which should yield nothing on power up.
That is what is confusing me.
What you are saying is you power up Acorn, then what? Press reset, then relay 1 closes and powers up logic to your drives?
What do you mean +5VDC is connected to the encoders?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

You should have +5VDC going to drive +Pul and +Dir and +ENA (IF you are using it)
Then -Pul to Acorn header STEP, -Dir to Acorn header DIR, and -ENA to Acorn Header ENA (IF you are using it)

There should be no issues at all. You should be able to power everything up together.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

In fact the YouTube video on the Automationtechnologiesinc.com page you referenced is mine and shows that +5vdc does not go through any relay first.
Mesa, AZ
Richard70
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Richard70 »

+5VDC is connected to the following drive connections: +Pul, +Dir and encoder feedback connector VCC (pin 4). Not using enable.
On the Acorn original version I have been using, RL1 closes if E stop is released.
Had a good look at the drive manuals from Leadshine and Aut. Tech.:
Am I correct in assuming the VCC encoder connection is a +5VDC output? Does this mean the effort to delay +5VDC power supply connection to it was only to cover up a wiring mistake originally made?
This would explain almost everything! +5VDC power supply should not be connected to VCC on encoder connector.
This may have been the cause of the original problem of the drives not working when +5VDC was connected before the drives were operational.

Should I disconnect the +5VDC connections to the encoder VCC, and directly connect +5VDC to all of the +Pul and +Dir ?
martyscncgarage

Richard70 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:30 pm +5VDC is connected to the following drive connections: +Pul, +Dir and encoder feedback connector VCC (pin 4). Not using enable.
On the Acorn original version I have been using, RL1 closes if E stop is released.
Had a good look at the drive manuals from Leadshine and Aut. Tech.:
Am I correct in assuming the VCC encoder connection is a +5VDC output? Does this mean the effort to delay +5VDC power supply connection to it was only to cover up a wiring mistake originally made?
This would explain almost everything! +5VDC power supply should not be connected to VCC on encoder connector.
This may have been the cause of the original problem of the drives not working when +5VDC was connected before the drives were operational.

Should I disconnect the +5VDC connections to the encoder VCC, and directly connect +5VDC to all of the +Pul and +Dir ?
Please post a picture....
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

To be clear, you do not connect anything to the encoder connector other than plugging in the encoder cable from the motor. The drive provides the 5vdc to the encoder.

Did you watch the video all the way through that is on the page you linked to at Automationtechnologiesinc.com? That's all you had to do. I'm surprised either the encoder or the drive didn't get damaged. My video was an earlier version of the drive that used a DB15 high density connector. But the signal wiring to Acorn is the same.

Second video that John did clearly shows the motor encoder cable plugged into the encoder port of the drive and nothing else

Post a picture of your drive and its connectors so we can see what you have hooked up and where.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
eng199
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by eng199 »

Richard70 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:45 pm Solution: +5VDC power to drives routed through RL1 on Acorn board, ensuring that Acorn is powered up before +5VDC is connected to drives.
You shouldn't have to do this any more. The new ACORN has features to prevent external voltage on I/Os from partially powering the ACORN.

Richard70 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:45 pm Relay connector type/style changed.
Did you get a blue relay board and ribbon cable with the replacement ACORN? That will have to be used since the 2 on board relays were replaced by 8 external relays with the newer design.
martyscncgarage

eng199 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:10 am
Richard70 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:45 pm Solution: +5VDC power to drives routed through RL1 on Acorn board, ensuring that Acorn is powered up before +5VDC is connected to drives.
You shouldn't have to do this any more. The new ACORN has features to prevent external voltage on I/Os from partially powering the ACORN.

Richard70 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:45 pm Relay connector type/style changed.
Did you get a blue relay board and ribbon cable with the replacement ACORN? That will have to be used since the 2 on board relays were replaced by 8 external relays with the newer design.
Thanks for the response Matt!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Richard70
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Richard70 »

I was not sent the relay board/ribbon cable with the replacement board. At this time I do not have a use for it.
Found the original Centroid note re using separate +5VDC and +24VDC power supplies. It states: "Acorn PCBs revision 171025 and older may fail to start properly if external voltage is applied to certain pins before the Acorn +24VDC supply starts". I guess this means my rev. 4 board does not suffer from the same problem.
I have updated my schematic (see attached) to the rev.4 board and the +5VDC power supply connections update (without relay delay).
2022-02-07schem.jpg