Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn semi closed loop

Post by gmacarthur »

I am looking to build a hobby level Avid 4x2 or 4x4 with an Acorn control board and Gecko drives controlling NEMA 23 or 34 motors.

One of the features I would like to accomplish is that the system shuts down if it enters a state with too many missed steps. I know from 3D printing that once a g-code file gets off I would like the peace of mind that it shuts itself down.

My question is: can I accomplish this with gecko drives? I have seen it done with closed-loop drives and an acorn. That is, if the alarm on the drive is triggered from too many missed steps it sends a signal to the Acorn which shuts down. It seems like the Acorn (or the gecko) should know how many steps it is requesting and a closed loop stepper motor encoder should be able to report how many steps were executed. I am at a loss how to get those two pieces of information to be compared. I guess in a closed loop drive, the drive itself makes the comparison and reports an alarm.

Again, it's just a preference for gecko drives and a preference for knowing if there is a missed step situation. If I can't have both I'll figure out which is more important but thought I would ask the expert community. (And again, to be clear I am not looking for true closed loop control where adjustments are made for missed steps, just looking for the alarm feature).

Thanks
centroidsupport
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn semi closed loop

Post by centroidsupport »

Because it's open loop, neither the control, drive or motors have anyway of knowing that there are missing steps. You would have bump up to a semi-closed loop where the loop is closed between the drive and motor or a truly closed loop system such as Allin1dc or Oak for the functionality you want.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Fastest1
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Fastest1 »

gmacarthur wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:36 pm I am looking to build a hobby level Avid 4x2 or 4x4 with an Acorn control board and Gecko drives controlling NEMA 23 or 34 motors.

One of the features I would like to accomplish is that the system shuts down if it enters a state with too many missed steps. I know from 3D printing that once a g-code file gets off I would like the peace of mind that it shuts itself down.

My question is: can I accomplish this with gecko drives? I have seen it done with closed-loop drives and an acorn. That is, if the alarm on the drive is triggered from too many missed steps it sends a signal to the Acorn which shuts down. It seems like the Acorn (or the gecko) should know how many steps it is requesting and a closed loop stepper motor encoder should be able to report how many steps were executed. I am at a loss how to get those two pieces of information to be compared. I guess in a closed loop drive, the drive itself makes the comparison and reports an alarm.

Again, it's just a preference for gecko drives and a preference for knowing if there is a missed step situation. If I can't have both I'll figure out which is more important but thought I would ask the expert community. (And again, to be clear I am not looking for true closed loop control where adjustments are made for missed steps, just looking for the alarm feature).

Thanks
Is this your first CNC machine besides a printer? Not that I am highly experienced but with the "proper" sizing and pc's steppers can be fantastic. Not that I havent had issues over the years with lost steps. I had them with Gecko and Leadshine but my suspicion in those times were the pc. Steppers and drives are inexpensive by comparison. Just be realistic in your assessment of desired accuracy/resolution. As a hobbyist a few thou still looks beautiful and will fit. Most of us arent going to space ;-) Not bashing.
1st Acorn project. G0704/BDTools/Hoss Conversion De"maching"
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
CNC12 Pro/Digitizing ver 4.64 (1/31/2022)
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

The Gecko 320x does detect errors in the way you mentioned. There is an error detection built in. You select the error limits with DIP switches. If the encoder count varies +/- more than the preset error limit it will fault out the drive. I can't recall if it tells you which drive faulted or not.
gmacarthur
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by gmacarthur »

Thanks all.

Yes, this is my first foray into CNC. Coming from a background of an established woodworking hobby plus and catching the 3D printing bug a few years ago. I'm not looking for NASA accuracy so much as being able to turn my back for a few minutes knowing that a disaster will shut itself down.

I will take a look at the G320x, this might be what I'm after. They call it a servo drive. Does "servo" apply to the style of control and not necessarily that it will only with with a servo motor (as opposed to a stepper)?

Otherwise, I think I'm ready to accept that I am trying to put a square peg in a round hole here.
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

Servo drive is specifically for servos only. Most of the time turning your back will be ok, lights out might be a little different. I get your concern just dont let perfection be a limiting factor. Most issues are user error and there is a learning curve. Buy cheap end mills at first ;-)
1st Acorn project. G0704/BDTools/Hoss Conversion De"maching"
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
CNC12 Pro/Digitizing ver 4.64 (1/31/2022)
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

The Gecko 320x only works with servos. If I remember correctly it only works with DC brushed servos so be aware of that when buying motors. Mine uses brushed servos and AMT-102 modular encoders with the gecko's. The combination has worked successfully during bench testing.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

gmacarthur wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:36 pm I am looking to build a hobby level Avid 4x2 or 4x4 with an Acorn control board and Gecko drives controlling NEMA 23 or 34 motors.

Thanks
I suggest you go with something like Clearpath SDSK and CNC4PC.com C86ACCP. They are almost plug and play together. I think they are more friendly to a new user with your stated requirements. Yes, they are more money, but I believe you will be up and running quicker and with less trouble.
DC Brush Drives/motors (Like 320X) require a level of tuning which may frustrate a new to CNC user

Another option is hybrid closed loop steppers as was previously mentioned.
https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... -servo-kit
https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... -servo-kit

Do yourself a favor and buy from a respected supplier in the US.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Disasters do not always shut themselves down before something ugly happens. Build the control correctly, match the motors to the application, get to know the machine and then you will learn its capabilities

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
gmacarthur
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by gmacarthur »

Guys, thanks for all the input. This is what I was looking for to fill the gaps in my (mis)understanding.