STEPPERONLINE CL57T stepper drivers, fault code 7, no movement. *SOLVED* <incorrectly wired from stepperonline>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

CivilCNC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: will obtain
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

STEPPERONLINE CL57T stepper drivers, fault code 7, no movement. *SOLVED* <incorrectly wired from stepperonline>

Post by CivilCNC »

Hello all been really scratching my head here trying to get my lathe to move and having little success. Just bench testing the Z axis now, and I can get the motor to lock up, and when I go to jog, it shutters a little then the driver gives me fault code 7 red blinks.
261620776_927893714823463_141738609441474495_n.jpg
I have messed around with settings, increasing the accel/decel settings, the motor speed, and other shots in the dark to no avail.
I have had success with the CL57Y drivers in the past, as well as other setups so I am hoping someone can give me some insight as to maybe something obvious im overlooking.

please see attached report.zip and CL57T user manual
CL57T.pdf
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
Thanks in advance,
Jake
Last edited by CivilCNC on Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rk9268vc
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: STEPPERONLINE CL57T stepper drivers, fault code 7, no movement.

Post by rk9268vc »

make sure youve got your coils wired correctly. You can check the pairs with a multimeter, or by shorting together and trying to turn the motor. And make sure they all make good contact. It sounds like one may be not working, or they are wired wrong.
CivilCNC

Post by CivilCNC »

rk9268vc wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:49 pm make sure youve got your coils wired correctly. You can check the pairs with a multimeter, or by shorting together and trying to turn the motor. And make sure they all make good contact. It sounds like one may be not working, or they are wired wrong.
Thanks for the response. I am using pre-made cables that I received from stepperonline in their kit. I'm positive my wiring is correct
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i've got cables from china that were built wrong. use a ohm meter to track it down, from what you describe it sounds like the phase wires to the motor are mixed up.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

CivilCNC wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:12 pm
rk9268vc wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:49 pm make sure youve got your coils wired correctly. You can check the pairs with a multimeter, or by shorting together and trying to turn the motor. And make sure they all make good contact. It sounds like one may be not working, or they are wired wrong.
Thanks for the response. I am using pre-made cables that I received from stepperonline in their kit. I'm positive my wiring is correct
If they supplied an extension cable for the encoder, be sure to use it.
Following error is between the drive and the encoder on the motor. Has nothing to do with Acorn.
A following error generally means the drive is commanding the motor to move and it is lagging and getting too far behind. You should contact Stepper Online for help with that one. Don't assume the wiring is correct. Ask for support and confirmation from Stepper Online.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
drdennis
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0927215221

Post by drdennis »

Don't know if this is your problem, but...
Make sure the ENA input on the CL57T is disconnected. Many stepper controllers including this one keep calling the input ENABLE even though it actually disables the motion in its active state. If you connect the [default configuration] Acorn ENABLE output to this input it will result in the stepper drive raising an error. The reason is rather simple: Acorn ENABLE actually enables, but the ENABLE input disables the controller :?
Cheers
CivilCNC

Post by CivilCNC »

drdennis wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:16 am Don't know if this is your problem, but...
Make sure the ENA input on the CL57T is disconnected. Many stepper controllers including this one keep calling the input ENABLE even though it actually disables the motion in its active state. If you connect the [default configuration] Acorn ENABLE output to this input it will result in the stepper drive raising an error. The reason is rather simple: Acorn ENABLE actually enables, but the ENABLE input disables the controller :?
Cheers
Thanks for the response, I am not using any of the ENA or ALM inputs at the driver so I think we are good there
CivilCNC

Post by CivilCNC »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:14 pm i've got cables from china that were built wrong. use a ohm meter to track it down, from what you describe it sounds like the phase wires to the motor are mixed up.
20211207_124534.jpg
So I went ahead and put my ohm meter on "2000" and just used this single pin jumper in one plug, and put the other end on each screw terminal; no power to the driver... this is what I got

EGND- 0.00
VC- 1480
EA- 1680
EA+ quick flash of 1800 then nothing
EB- 1680
EB+ quick flash of 1900 then nothing

I think my cables might be messed up. There is a shield cable in the wire that I don't have hooked up to anything. Will that fix this or am I looking at new cables?
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

CivilCNC wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:07 pm
cnckeith wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:14 pm i've got cables from china that were built wrong. use a ohm meter to track it down, from what you describe it sounds like the phase wires to the motor are mixed up.
20211207_124534.jpg

So I went ahead and put my ohm meter on "2000" and just used this single pin jumper in one plug, and put the other end on each screw terminal; no power to the driver... this is what I got

EGND- 0.00
VC- 1480
EA- 1680
EA+ quick flash of 1800 then nothing
EB- 1680
EB+ quick flash of 1900 then nothing

I think my cables might be messed up. There is a shield cable in the wire that I don't have hooked up to anything. Will that fix this or am I looking at new cables?
You should be working with the vendor, Stepper Online to resolve this. Did you not buy them new from them?⬜
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
CivilCNC

Post by CivilCNC »

SOLVED. The motor wires were incorrectly wired from stepperonline. sheeesh! I see exactly what they did too, they were looking at the schematic for the plug at the motor, and didnt wire the cable inversely, so it didnt work! Got it! Thanks all.