Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Threading with Acorn lathe Pro

Post by cnc_smith »

vw_chuck wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:29 am Dave C I have all my tool offsets set correctly to and if I use the built in dimensions for a thread a nut will not thread on.
Also use 29.5 as the infeed angle and save yourself a massive chatter headache. I can see 55 or 65 working in aluminum or brass but no way in steel.
29.5 is the standard angle. For Centroid you need to double that to 59 for the infeed (thread angle in Intercon)
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Dave_C »

vw_chuck wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:29 am Dave C I have all my tool offsets set correctly to and if I use the built in dimensions for a thread a nut will not thread on.
Also use 29.5 as the infeed angle and save yourself a massive chatter headache. I can see 55 or 65 working in aluminum or brass but no way in steel.
You can have your tool offsets all correct but if the lathe does not home to the exact same dimension on startup they are all off by the same amount!

I have to take a test cut with the master tool and set the reference for the day each time I boot up. I don't have an x or z pulses to do that for me.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
vw_chuck
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8FEB5F-0708203490
CNC12: Yes

Post by vw_chuck »

Dave C yes everyone using Acorn that has a shitty home switches does it your way finding X zero with tool number 1. I always said Acorn needs memory so that it remembers where it was when shut down and then you wouldn't need to reset the X zero everytime.
Dana that is good to know as I never read anywhere that the angle in centroid is double of what you want it to be. What happens if you put in 29.5 in Acorn then? It will try to cut at 15 degrees?
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Dave C yes everyone using Acorn that has a shitty home switches does it your way finding X zero with tool number 1.
Even with a memory function of the last know coordinates, steppers will twitch on powerup so they would not be at the last know location anyway!

No motor encoders (actually mine do have encoders, hybrid steppers) and Acorn could not read them anyway to keep position.

So I don't any other way to do it. After all that, my threads fit!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
cnc_smith
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnc_smith »

vw_chuck wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:40 pm Dana that is good to know as I never read anywhere that the angle in centroid is double of what you want it to be. What happens if you put in 29.5 in Acorn then? It will try to cut at 15 degrees?
Yes it would cut at 14.75.
tblough wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:26 am On the thread details screen (F7) the "thread angle" setting controls how much of the cut is on the flank of the tool. Entering 60° will cut with the tip (evenly on both flanks). I usually use 55°, or 65° depending on which way I want the chips to curl.
This is why tblough is using 55 or 65.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC12: Yes

Post by tblough »

Just to note, most of my threading is in 17-4 PH stainless around 35Rc, not aluminum.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.