Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 4205
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

PM-728 Conversion to CNC Teknic Drive Faults

Post by jlchapman »

I've used the CNC kit from PM and have it installed. C86ACCP board wired up. For my bench testing I install everything on a MDF board for layout purposes. After everything is golden I'll transfer to 1/8" 5052 sheet and into the steel enclosure. Servos are 2-CPM-SDSK-2321S-ELS and 1-CPM-SDSK-3421P-ELS

I've been following Marty's SYril video series and done the same type setup. Meaning drive faults using C86 and E-stops. I have my contactor installed and connected to the E-stop button but haven't installed the Power cable from IPC-5 to the Teknic Distribution board. Shouldn't matter for this. The other leg of the E-stop is connected to E-Stop Signal on Acorn.

I ran the bench test and had no faults from the drives not connected to mill. But I was just having the drives move one rotation in axis configuration.

So, I started a bench test with the Servos installed on the mill. Setup the correct directions. All axis move and look good. I was moving them with the buttons in CNC12. I didn't move the axis very far using the buttons in CNC12.

I received a WMPG-4 wireless remote and started moving all X, Y, Z axis. I haven't changed anything in the axis Config but now I can move all axis with spinning the wheel on the remote. Now I get a Drive Fault. I can create the drive fault really easy on the Z axis but it takes longer to get on the X axis. Y has no Drive Faults. I have not noticed if the fault occurs in the same location.

In CNC12 it displays "Drive Fault". Pressing the reset button in CNC12 and I can clear the "Drive Fault". The relay on the C86 just sits there and toggles maybe every second, syncing maybe with Acorn Heartbeat. Looking at the servos lights flashing, Y is Green, X is yellow, Z is yellow. The only way to fix this is to exit CNC12 and cycle power on the electronics.

My first thought is maybe the gibs are not adjusted correctly or some excess drag. So, I'm thinking I'll remove the servos and clamp a handwheel on the ballscrew clamp and feel the travel like you would on a manual milling machine.

Any other ideas?

Also, doesnt Teknic have software that might show what is going on? Point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jerry
Attachments
BenchTest.jpeg
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: PM-728 Conversion to CNC Teknic Drive Faults

Post by martyscncgarage »

The Estop contactor should reset the C86ACCP (IF you wired the C86ACCP through it as I described in the videos) and in turn reset the Teknic drives. Make sure your jumpers are set correctly. They should be set to SOFT not HARD.

You download the Teknic MSP software yet?
https://www.teknic.com/downloads/?downl ... learpath=3
Under software

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

The relay on C86ACCP will cycle like that when one of the drives is faulted.
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

It also sounds like you connected motors to the machine....so, to clarify, on the bench test your back panel, all wiring, Estop contactor, Estop button should have been wired COMPLETELY and tested before installing ON the machine. Once on the machine, you *MAY* be able to jog it, but remember you have YET to tune the motors to the load ( your machine) so YES, I would expect faults.
Autotuning is done with the Teknic MSP software and MUST be completed before using the machine or jogging it extensively.
My video detailed how to run Autotuning on the Z axis, you do the same for the other 2 axis.
Mesa, AZ
jpmsteadi
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F1121A-1204204111

Post by jpmsteadi »

Hey Jerry,

I would also suggest downloading the MSP software and running the autotune for each of the axis. The motors just straight from the factory are tuned for a bench test mode. Without tuning they will not give anywhere near their optimal performance. It is very possible this is causing the fault.

you can find the teknic video on how to autotune here:

with that software plugged in you can also check all sorts of data, including how much of the available power of the motor you are using for your moves.

I too have a converted 728VT, but am using larger motors I happened upon used on ebay. that being said, the only difference in our z motors is that mine is the higher powered SDHP, not SDSK. Same torque, just maintains that torque all the way up to the max speed instead of tapering off. I have had zero issues with running my z axis once it was autotuned and the software plugged in says I am only using about 40 percent of available power when doing a rapid (3000 mm/min or 118ipm) move on Z. And I know my z axis gib is too tight.

Let us know if tuning them helps!
jpmsteadi
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F1121A-1204204111

Post by jpmsteadi »

Marty seems to have posted similar things in the time it took to write my response. Marty, you are so fast!
martyscncgarage

jpmsteadi wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:00 pm Marty seems to have posted similar things in the time it took to write my response. Marty, you are so fast!
Uh, I spend too much time on the forums and can't get my own stuff done! :lol:
Mesa, AZ
jlchapman

Post by jlchapman »

Thanks Marty and Jim!

The E-stop does reset the drive fault.

The far left jumper was the only one I set to 'soft'. I changed the others to 'soft'. ooops!

One other question: The wire from Acorn H1 IN5(Drive Ok Signal) to C86ACCP NC(Fault) or NO(Active)? 'Drive Ok Signal' active high or low?

Not as many faults as before. No more toggling every second.

On to tuning.

Thanks for all your help,

Jerry
martyscncgarage

jlchapman wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:41 pm Thanks Marty and Jim!

The E-stop does reset the drive fault.

The far left jumper was the only one I set to 'soft'. I changed the others to 'soft'. ooops!

One other question: The wire from Acorn H1 IN5(Drive Ok Signal) to C86ACCP NC(Fault) or NO(Active)? 'Drive Ok Signal' active high or low?

Not as many faults as before. No more toggling every second.

On to tuning.

Thanks for all your help,

Jerry
Take a moment to go look at the pictures in my build thread: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5389&p=46046#p46046
Mesa, AZ
jlchapman

Post by jlchapman »

No more drive faults on the Z axis. Will do the Y and X today.

Got the detail I needed from your pictures. Thanks.

I'm also a car guy. Doing a restomod on a 1936 Ford 5 window coupe. This machining stuff keeps getting in the way of finishing the car.