Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

M6 Tool change (Resolved)

Post by Arturo Martinez »

Hi,
After getting sick for a while, I'm back playing with the CNC machine.
I have a project in which I have to use 4 different router bits. I don’t have a tool changer thus I need to use the manual process that code M6 provides. Since what M6 provides is very limited, I decided to use the custom functionality that user DIYCNCSCOTT posted in Centroid’s forum (which Mr. Keith edited adding “Macros compatible with Acorn CNC12 v4.12”:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1493&p=9163&hilit= ... ters#p9163

My problem (which other users also had) is that my configuration DOES NOT HAVE file MFUNC6.

Reading thru many Centroid’s postings I can tell now that Acorn provides a macro for tool changing that supports the G code M6. These are some examples:
See the last paragraph on this posting:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1918&p=13038&hilit=M6#p13038

And also this: Mary’s Makeshop, who, just like me, does not have an auto tool changer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWr352fS7c

I sent these questions to Mary:

“Just like Gert Nielsen below, I don't have mfunc6. Do you know why?
If I download MFUNC6 from Centroid, when the system gets to the G code T1 M6, would it execute MFUNC6 even thou it was never there?”

She did not reply, thus I decided to download your macro mfunc6JogToToolTouchOff-tt1.mac and place it within my configuration as mfunc6.mac.
Then I followed all the suggested instructions to run the MFUNC6 macro.

Then, for testing, I changed a copy of my program to call the macro.
This is the relevant section where the tool change is to happen:

M200 "Chg to 3/16 round. STOP THE ROUTER COMPLETELLY. Hit CYCLE START"

M6 ; Tool Change <-----------------------

M200 "START THE ROUTER. Hit CYCLE START"

The end result is that when the system reaches the g-code M6, the tool moves to the Z-home position (allowing me to change the router bit) and the only thing I can do at this point is hit the key Cycle Start to continue and the process continues with the rest of the program BUT does not execute the commands to reset the Z0 value (such as slowly lowering the tool to the touch-off device).

For instances where there is no ACORN-provided MFUNC6, do we have to do some extra configuration?

Guys, can you please tell me what are my options at this point?
For instance, since I am running version 12, would upgrade to the most recent version help to resolve the problem?

Thank you all,
Arturo
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Re: M6 Tool change

Post by ShawnM »

Hi Arturo,

I just went through all this redesigning a M6 marco I found on this forum. What software are you designing with? The tool change call should be in the Centroid post processor for that software and be in the g code that it generates.

I have 2 modified Centroid post processors that I edited to work for me. One is a single tool PP and one is a multi tool PP. There's no need for me to have M6 calls in a single tool operation. The multi tool version uses very similar M6 calls posted below.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "My problem (which other users also had) is that my configuration DOES NOT HAVE file MFUNC6." Not sure what you mean by "configuration".

I'm using Vectric software and the stock post processor reads like this for tool changes:

"[N] ; ---------------------------------------------"
"[N] ; Toolchange: T[T] - Speed:[S]"
"[N] ; Tool Length Compensation Cancel - Move to Z home"
"[N] G49 H0 M25"
"[N] ; Absolute Positioning Mode - Rapid Positioning"
"[N] G90 G0[XH][YH]"
"[N] ; Start Tool Change"
"[N] T[T] M6"
"[N] ; Spindle on CW"
"[N] M3 [S][F]"
"[N] ; Pause for 2 seconds"
"[N] G4 P2"
"[N] ; Tool Length Compensation (+)"
"[N] G43 G0[ZH] H[T]"

As long as you have your tool change macro called "mfunc6.mac" it should run when called by the g code. I'm sure others will add to this as I'm fairly new at this myself.

Shawn
Arturo Martinez

Hi Shawn,
Most likely you went thru the next scenario:
I spent a few thousands on making my own CNC machine and when the time came to decide how to generate g-code I was out-of-money.
Thus, based on my past RPG programming experience, I decided to write my own g-code based on drawing the parts (to a 4-decimals precision) using MS Visio and the code I found on an excellent book named CNC Programming by S.K. Sinka. With these resources I've been able to write some programs for parts that include lines, circles and arcs with variable radius as well as cuts following a parabolic path on the Z axis. I agree that I will -at some time- have to use some relevant software, but for the time being, I'm stock on writing my own code (still no-money :D ). So far I'm doing OK.
This leads to look for any other alternative, either programmatic (such as breaking the process into several programs, setting up the part-zero the traditional way for each router bit; or programmatically (?) replace the Z0 value stored somewhere in my configuration (*); … or some other way.

(*) I refer to the software downloaded from Centroid as my "configuration" with no additional changes other than the values entered on the wizard.

Based on all of the above... Any other ideas?

Thank you very much,
Arturo Martinez
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Not quite the same scenario. I recently spent a few thousand dollars buying my second (lightly used on craigslist) CNC router and I already had the Vectric software. I simply gutted the China electronics and installed the Acorn. Didn't want to build a machine as that would take more of my time. I am not smart enough to write my own g code nor would I even attempt to.

If you are out of money then you can easily afford Fusion 360, it's free and does everything you'll ever need. It's a CAD and CAM package in one. It'll get you from that sketch on a napkin to a final part in your hand. Did I mention it was free? :mrgreen:

Since you write your own code that's way above my pay grade so I can't help you there.

Do you have your modified M6 macro (or any m6 macro for that matter) called mfunc6.mac in correct folder with all the other macros?

If so, start your machine and home it, then go to the MDI screen and type m6 in the box and hit cycle start. Did it run through the macro?

If yes, then your g code is not right. If no, then you have an issue with your m6 macro. Let us know.
Arturo Martinez

Hi,
To do the test you have suggested, I decided to rename the MFUNC6 file that I downloaded from DIYCNCSCOTT to MFUNC6XXX, so this first test is with my configuration as it was originally since I installed the Acorn software.
So, I ran the test on MDI typing just M6 and this is what happened when I clicked CYCLE START:
The window where I get messages showed these messages:
Tool change: T0
Insert tool and press CYCLE START

To this I responded by clicking CYCLE START and the system responded asking me for another command.

I rebooted the machine and homed it. Before I ran the second test, I renamed MFUNC6XXX file back to MFUNC6 and added to it this message command: M200 "Arturo\nPress cycle start to continue"
Then, same as with he first test I just typed M6 and this is what happened:
The window where I get messages showed these messages:
Tool change: T0
Insert tool and press CYCLE START

Which is the same as the first test. Since I did not get my message "Arturo..." I assume that the downloaded file from DIYCNCSCOTT MFUNC6.mac was ignored. The only difference with this file is that the type is "Text Document" instead of "MAC File".

As I have indicated from the beginning, I never had MFUNC6 on my system and these tests confirm that the version I'm running, V12, is running an embedded version of this file. This is why I wonder whether I need to change a flag in the Acorn software to use the newer file or just upgrade to the most recent version (V18). I'll extend this question to Mr. Keith and the other "Centroid's big guns".

Thank you again Shawn.

Arturo Martinez
Arturo Martinez

Correction:
On the last line of the previous post I meant Acorn CNC12 v4.18
Arturo
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Arturo, I'm a mill and lathe guy. If I had a job that used more than one tool, I would set them up in the tool library and set their offsets. If I had a router, I'd do the same thing.

Go to YouTube and watch Centroid CNC Mill training videos. Router works the same way.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

What are you doing to measure the first tool before the cutting starts?
Ken
Arturo Martinez

Marty,
I'll do that. Maybe in there I'll find the reason why I don't have a file MFUNC6 to begin with.

Thank you very much,
Arturo Martinez
Arturo Martinez

Ken Rychlik
What are you doing to measure the first tool before the cutting starts?

I follow the procedure to assign the Part Zero values. For the Z axis, I jog the bit until it contacts the work-piece.

Remember, I don't have an auto-tool-changer thus, I don't think entering the tool bits length on the tool library would help me.
After reading a bunch of M6 postings, I still don't have an answer as to why I don't have a file MFUNC6.mac.
Once we know the reason, I believe that would help to decide whether I need to upgrade to version v4.18.
Do you agree?

Thank you Ken,

Arturo Martinez