PLC Program For Emco PC Turn 55 (using original turret board and motor) <Success>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Threedj16
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: PLC Program For Emco PC Turn 55 (using original turret board and motor)

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:54 pm Great.
Please post the inputs and outputs you used and how they were assigned as well.

Don't forget a video demonstrating the turret working after making tool calls. Until then, it's all "fish stories" 😉

Marty
Ok, my video skills are sorely lacking. Hard to take a vid, show which buttons I push, watch the turret and show the tool numbers change. I'll make another attempt in a little while.

As for in/outs, it's all assigned in the PLC, as you don't have inputs/outputs in the wizard to do these functions yet. The code is well documented, so rather than making a huge post, easiest thing to do is simply download the report file and extract the acorn_incremental-turret-r3.src out to read through. As otherwise, it would be like posting the entire PLC program since there are portions documented in numerous places. Pretty much anyone setting up a turret like mine simply needs to wire the each tool switch to input 6, the tool zero switch to input 5 and the turret motor to output 2. Typically the each tool switch is tripped on when the tool is at the position, so it's normally open. The zero tool is just the opposite and it's on until at the position and trips off (but I have it inverted so it trips on at the position, just made more sense). The only modification you would need to make is if you don't use the dual homing, change the cnct.hom file.

But here are the inputs/outputs again:
;ToolTurretSyncBit IS INP5 ;&*;
;ToolTurretPosBit1 IS INP6 ;&*;
;RotateToolTurret IS OUT2 ;&*;

Edit- removing this report as it won't work with the new version of CNC12 plus we ended up finding a few bugs. Working through them now and will post a new report with a working copy compatible with the latest version of CNC12 and the bugs worked out.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Threedj16 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:54 pm Great Jasen.
Please post the inputs and outputs you used and how they were assigned as well.

Don't forget a video demonstrating the turret working after making tool calls. Until then, it's all "fish stories" 😉

Marty
Ok, my video skills are sorely lacking. Hard to take a vid, show which buttons I push, watch the turret and show the tool numbers change. I'll make another attempt in a little while.

As for in/outs, it's all assigned in the PLC, as you don't have inputs/outputs in the wizard to do these functions yet. The code is well documented, so rather than making a huge post, easiest thing to do is simply download the report file and extract the acorn_incremental-turret-r3.src out to read through. As otherwise, it would be like posting the entire PLC program since there are portions documented in numerous places. Pretty much anyone setting up a turret like mine simply needs to wire the each tool switch to input 6, the tool zero switch to input 5 and the turret motor to output 2. Typically the each tool switch is tripped on when the tool is at the position, so it's normally open. The zero tool is just the opposite and it's on until at the position and trips off (but I have it inverted so it trips on at the position, just made more sense). The only modification you would need to make is if you don't use the dual homing, change the cnct.hom file.

Here is the source: report_C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659_2018-05-03_21-52-20.zip
Video suggestion.
Just write a little bit of code that all it does in a series of tool changes. You can put in a one second dwell in between. Press cycle start and then just pan back and forth from the lathe to the control screen.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Re: PLC Program For Emco PC Turn 55 (using original turret board and motor) <Success>

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Jasen, you scare me dude. (In a good way :D ) Wish I had your smarts & stubbornness!
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Threedj16

Re: PLC Program For Emco PC Turn 55 (using original turret board and motor) <Success>

Post by Threedj16 »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:20 am You scare me dude. (In a good way :D ) Wish I had your smarts & stubbornness!
Thanks Dickey, but remember I did relent in the end and just use the program tech support made for me. But I learned a lot via both methods, from my own experimenting and from watching/talking to support too.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am
Video suggestion.
Just write a little bit of code that all it does in a series of tool changes. You can put in a one second dwell in between. Press cycle start and then just pan back and forth from the lathe to the control screen.
Thanks, I'll GIT R DUN sometime today hopefully. Trying to work on these pesky timing pulleys. Ended up having to spend last night tearing down my 3D printer again (bought new parts last weekend when I had a glitch, figured it was about time). That took way, way longer than I expected. I need the 3D print in order to prototype the encoder mount for this timing pulley setup. Much easier to 3D print first, mill second....LOL.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Just an FYI, removed the report file as it won't work with the new version of CNC12 plus we ended up finding a few bugs. Working through them now and will post a new report with working copy compatible with the latest version of CNC12 and the bugs worked out.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

I'll be placing a new report file here soon. Mario has my turret all working perfectly with all the tests we ran today and with the newest release of CNC12. So I'm going to put the code through even more tests before posting this time. But it looks really good so far.

Not really an issue, as I home my turret with the axis homing. But as for now, with the way the code is setup, the tool number is only stored during shutdown if you've only used Gcode (maybe MIDI too). But if you use the manual Aux11 to forward a tool or the ATC tool call, it will not store the tool after a shutdown. But like I stated, not a big deal at all for a 6 tool turret. Takes a few seconds to home in my existing homing macro anyway.

There also code in my PLC program that uses Aux10 to turn relay 8 on and off with the same Aux 10 button push. I use this for my work light. Since I wanted only one button to do it, had to be done in the PLC code. So just be aware of that (and you can comment it out if you don't want to use Aux10 that way)....simple enough.
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512
CNC12: Yes

Post by Muzzer »

Edit- removing this report as it won't work with the new version of CNC12 plus we ended up finding a few bugs. Working through them now and will post a new report with a working copy compatible with the latest version of CNC12 and the bugs worked out.
So, to clarify, INP6 is a NO input that closes (goes low?) when the requested tool is in position - or is it low when any of the tools are in position? I assume the latter, since it's the PLC code that figures out where the carousel is. INP5 is NC and opens when the "home" tool (zero or one?) is in position. That's so it's possible to home the carousel. Wouldn't be necessary if you could rely on the position being stored (but I note the problems identified with Aux11 etc).

Do you have your final report with the PLC code ready to share yet? I'd really love to see how you did it. I seem to have acquired an ATC last weekend.....
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Muzzer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:23 pm

So, to clarify, INP6 is a NO input that closes (goes low?) when the requested tool is in position - or is it low when any of the tools are in position? I assume the latter, since it's the PLC code that figures out where the carousel is. INP5 is NC and opens when the "home" tool (zero or one?) is in position. That's so it's possible to home the carousel. Wouldn't be necessary if you could rely on the position being stored (but I note the problems identified with Aux11 etc).

Do you have your final report with the PLC code ready to share yet? I'd really love to see how you did it. I seem to have acquired an ATC last weekend.....
Honesty I wish that we did do input 6 closing for each tool in position, more positive identifier the tool is there. Plus it would have eliminated a timer moving off the current tool which trips input 6 once immediately, then again at correct tool. Also input 5 trips when locked in to position 1, which is backwards of the optical switch plate. But it's working, so wasn't any point in messing with it.

My new tooling came in today, so I'm hoping to finish setup tomorrow and get the first cnc run in Friday. I've found one more small bug, if you want to call it that. There's no way to reset after a tool error other than complete reset of machine. So I'd like to look into this more and find a solution. The turret has a very weak motor, and any little hang up will stop it (which is good), and cause a fault. Would suck to have to reset the machine because you had a piece of stock in the way and didn't set tool check back far enough.

But either way, I'll post it soon.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Ok, wasn't thinking.....LOL. Forgot to just hit reset twice and then all is back to normal if you fault the turret. Anyway, I've played with this code lathe turret enough to feel pretty good that it will work fine. Mario ran some Gcode that just did a bunch of turret moves and it worked fine. We tested using Aux11 button, ATC call, midi call and Gcode call. The only thing it won't do is remember the tool number after startup when if you've used the Aux button. Think it remembers the rest.

Also the Aux 10 is setup for relay 8 as a toggle on/off for my work light and that is in the PLC code. If you don't want that, just search Aux10 and comment out that section. It comes on at startup and then anytime you touch Aux10, it toggles the light. I think everything else I've done was via macros.

Anyway, here is the report file.

Removed as this version no longer works with that latest release.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.