Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Lathe Reference Tool Questions

Post by Threedj16 »

Finally getting around to setting up my tooling in prep for my new turret tools that arrive Wednesday. So I'm setting up Tool 1, my reference tool for the turret and notice there's no option for any forward facing tools? No matter how I take loose and replace my tool holder on the turret, it wil always be a hole (forward facing tool) for tool 1. Which actually makes setting the offset easy since I can chuck up a 10mm drill bit shank and set it dead on. That aligns tool 1, 3 and 5 for my X. Problem is I don't even have a method of using custom to change to forward facing (or any other option on tool 1). Am I missing a way of changing tool 1 to bore or drill? Or even the ability to use tool 2 as the reference?

Several folks here have Emco lathes, any other options for me? Maybe I can remove the optical switch plate and move position 1 to a side tool. Though really would have preferred the simple method of using the 10mm hole and drill shank.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rl49
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: K2019,K1110
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Lathe Reference Tool Questions

Post by rl49 »

Hi Dave,

This I can help you with it is covered in chapter 4 page 2 in the 3.16 cnc11 manual

Tool Orient: This is the tool operation direction, which generally describes the direction in which the tool points.
It also implies the orientation of the work surface. Choices here are OD (outer diameter), ID (inner diameter),
FFace (front face), and RFace (rear face).
Tool Type: This field describes the tool’s general shape and intended operation. Use “Custom” if the tool does not
match any of the available tool types.
Approach (from): This field is the tool approach direction. This indicates which side of work piece centerline the
tool must travel from in order to start operation on the work piece. For gang tool lathes (parameter 163=1), the
approach direction is independently set for each tool. For non-gang tool lathes, this field is locked to the same
approach direction for every tool and cannot be modified, and such an approach direction is based on the lathe’s
overall machine orientation (as set in parameter 1).

You can set parameter 163 to gang but you have to set every tools orientation and gives you more control or change parameter 1 to front as the custom field is enabled on my T400, they are all set to front and haven't had any issues setting up internal tools doing with the custom setting but may change our setup to gang as we are contemplating setting up a rear tool post for ccw turning for better chip control.

Which would be advantageous for someone with a threaded chuck. We have a d1-4 so that has not been a concern.

Ron
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

rl49 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:48 pm Hi Dave,

This I can help you with it is covered in chapter 4 page 2 in the 3.16 cnc11 manual

Tool Orient: This is the tool operation direction, which generally describes the direction in which the tool points.
It also implies the orientation of the work surface. Choices here are OD (outer diameter), ID (inner diameter),
FFace (front face), and RFace (rear face).
Tool Type: This field describes the tool’s general shape and intended operation. Use “Custom” if the tool does not
match any of the available tool types.
Approach (from): This field is the tool approach direction. This indicates which side of work piece centerline the
tool must travel from in order to start operation on the work piece. For gang tool lathes (parameter 163=1), the
approach direction is independently set for each tool. For non-gang tool lathes, this field is locked to the same
approach direction for every tool and cannot be modified, and such an approach direction is based on the lathe’s
overall machine orientation (as set in parameter 1).

You can set parameter 163 to gang but you have to set every tools orientation and gives you more control or change parameter 1 to front as the custom field is enabled on my T400, they are all set to front and haven't had any issues setting up internal tools doing with the custom setting but may change our setup to gang as we are contemplating setting up a rear tool post for ccw turning for better chip control.

Which would be advantageous for someone with a threaded chuck. We have a d1-4 so that has not been a concern.

Ron
No Dave here, but thanks for that information. I've spent so much time rebuilding and setting up the lathe, I'm finally getting around to learning the software side. I found the setting you were referring to and it's working perfectly now.

Thanks
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rl49
CNC Control System Serial Number: K2019,K1110
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by rl49 »

Sorry Jasen, I tend to unwind from work with a few barley pops and sometimes get carried away with them. I do know the frustration with learning a new control. We, my son who is a gunsmith have loved the Centroid control as we have had the lathe since 2011 and love the ability to re run the threading cycles for tuning in the receiver to barrel fit, and face the shoulder for indexing the sight location.

He has stored all the major manufactures threads including square threaded barrels in control and just with using Intercon dos version 8.23.

Ron
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

rl49 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 pm Sorry, I tend to unwind from work with a few barley pops and sometimes get carried away with them. I do know the frustration with learning a new control. We, my son who is a gunsmith have loved the Centroid control as we have had the lathe since 2011 and love the ability to re run the threading cycles for tuning in the receiver to barrel fit, and face the shoulder for indexing the sight location.

He has stored all the major manufactures threads including square threaded barrels in control and just with using Intercon dos version 8.23.

Ron
Hey, not a problem. I've been called a lot worse....LOL. Yeah, I've spent so much time learning PLC code and building, never did take the time to learn the actual CNC software. But I am in the process of remedying that situation now. Lots of good videos out there, plus actually reading the manual portions dealing with use....LOL. Slow but sure and for me, it's all just a hobby anyway. I do have a few more tweaks still left to do, but nothing holding me back now from letting her rip full CNC (which will be this old machines first time in decades). So I'm starting to get anxious now.

Hopefully between tonight and tomorrow, I'll get all my 12mm tools chopped down to the turret length and shimmed in so I can run the first program Friday.

Though I still have to figure out a few things. Z moved positive away from my chuck and X moves negative towards my chuck (with 3 tools facing chuck moving negative and 3 tools forward). But the first time I was playing around and ran the pawn, looked like the program was running the wrong direction. So definitely a few things left to sort out. I've been mainly a mill CNC guy and manual lathe, so this part is new for me.