Tips and Tricks for PLC / CNC12 (please add if you like)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Threedj16
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tips and Tricks for PLC / CNC12 (please add if you like)

Post by Threedj16 »

Ok, thought it would be cool to start up a thread on the tips and tricks. I've learned a lot from Centroid Tech support and some I've picked up along the way. If I posted anything wrong, please correct. My memory sux, so I take notes, too bad my handwriting sux also...LOL. :lol:

[*]For the next two tips, you can use the keyboard arrow keys to move the square highlight box around to each in/out/mem bit before doing the force on or invert.
[*]One really cool tip about using the I/O Map screen (Alt i) is you can force on/off an output with cntrl-alt-F. Repeat key sequence to force it back and again to reset it back to normal (there will be a line below the LED if not reset to normal).
[*]Similar to the first item, you can use cntrl-alt-i to invert an input or set it to non inverted (there will be a line above the LED if inverted)
[*]Using PLC detective, on the third tab you can list out all your variables for the code portion you are working with. This can take a bit to setup. So there is a save/load function in the bottom right of the screen....absolutely use this. As every time you restart, just load the list and you are back testing. And old school trick when you save the name, you a number in front of the name like 0 or 1 to keep it at the top of your file open dialog box. This saves a lot of time scrolling down to get a files named with a letter.
[*]In the first tab of the PLC detective, you can watch your logic happening in real time. But you can also hover the mouse over the variable (except for system variables) and see the current value; ie, like counting tool positions. Also inputs, outputs, timers and numerous other items, will be blue highlighted when they are in an active state. Makes watching the code run so much easier as you can see them go on and off in real time.

Anyway, I'll add more as I play and learn. But thought it would be nice to have a section just for tips and tricks on the software to facilitate learning. I enjoy learning something new everyday. Those who know it all already have no way of find out they don't! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Threedj16 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threedj16

Re: Tips and Tricks for PLC / CNC12 (please add if you like)

Post by Threedj16 »

Forgot to add the part about moving the square box around on the I/O panel using the arrow keys before forcing or inverting an out or in.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

When you start adding your own code to the PLC program, typically it will be spread out over many sections. So if you need to find just your code again and to track changes you made, add a special comment to the end of all the lines of code you added or change. Then it's as simple as using NotePad++ to track the changes and find them. Really cool features in NotePad++ such as Mark and Count. With these two features after adding your custom comment, you can mark every place you used it (it will highlight them all). And you can count all occurrences, so if the count matches one file to another, you know your're good on a copy over.

For example:
IF TRUE THEN SET RotateTurretStage, RST IndexTurretStage ;MyPLCcode

This sets yourself up for an easy transition to new software revisions coming out and makes it easier to track your changes when troubleshooting too.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Use a side-by-side file comparison utility to quickly identify differences between different versions of the PLC program source.

I use WinMerge: http://www.winmerge.org . There are others that work as well.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

cncsnw wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:20 am Use a side-by-side file comparison utility to quickly identify differences between different versions of the PLC program source.

That is cool too. I'll have to try it. But if you are upgrading to a newer version of software, there are likely to be a lot more changes than just your code. Wonder if NotePad++ has a file comparison built in too? I know it will search across multiple files. But definitely going to test out winmerge too.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

cncsnw wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:20 am Use a side-by-side file comparison utility to quickly identify differences between different versions of the PLC program source.

Wow, that program is awesome! Didn't realize it would allow a side by side comparison to pick and choose which lines you copy over. Awesome tip!